• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help! I broke the clamps that holds the exhaust!

I need some help here!!! While I am very happy to have the new Tubi installed, one of the clamps' screw broke so my mechanic is using 2 hose clamps to hold one side together. However, as the car vibrates, that side's tip would drop a bit as I guess the clamps are not as tight as the original ones. Can someone help me to identify the part number for it so I can purchase a new one? Thanks in advance...:wink:

Picture??

I cannot clearly understand what is broken. Do you mean the rubber hanger? What year? Do you mean the long bolt with the spring around it?

LMK,

Regards,
LarryB

Just a guess Larry but he may be talking about the "Tubi" clamps themselves. My RS-R is similiar in design and has clamps piecing the exhaust together.

I will take a picture of the broken part. It is not the part from Tubi, it is the stock part from the original stock exhaust. it looks like a ring with bolt/screw at one end that can "clamp" the ring. Like a hose clamp except it is a solid ring instead.

Is your Tubi one of the newer re-designed ones with the adjustable tips? I am going to take a wild guess and say that he is talking about the clamps that hold the extensions with the tips on.

BTW: The older Tubi's didn't have these, they were built like conventional exhausts. The adjustables came about as a result of people complaining that their exhausts wouldn't fit right. Mine were perfect, but I ended up switching to single 4" tips when I went with the 2002+ rear.

after2.jpg

Original Tubi....

tubi-gy-8.jpg

Last edited:
Is your Tubi one of the newer re-designed ones with the adjustable tips? I am going to take a wild guess and say that he is talking about the clamps that hold the extensions with the tips on.

BTW: The older Tubi's didn't have these, they were built like conventional exhausts. The adjustables came about as a result of people complaining that their exhausts wouldn't fit right. Mine were perfect, but I ended up switching to single 4" tips when I went with the 2002+ rear.

after2.jpg

Original Tubi....

tubi-gy-8.jpg

Wow, scary leaning on the car:eek::eek: Sure it's more secure in person.

Jeff

Version 2 used this....

attachment.php

BTW: The original Tubi used a completely different muffler (container). My Tubi (serial #100) uses a round muffler. The pipes came in the sides and out the back. I bet the new ones (v2) sound a lot different. ???

attachment.php

Mine also sloped upwards not so vertical when I had the original dual tips.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• mid_ohio.jpg
    mid_ohio.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:
Quad tips look so ghey on an NSX! :biggrin:

Mechanical problems with something that comes from Italy? Tell me it isn't so!

Last edited:
Hi Guys, thanks for your input. I must have misunderstood when my mechanic told me about the problem. It is in fact the clamp that holds the tip. Here are the pictures of the broken part:

fcnr13.jpg

21kz987.jpg

Because of the way the exhaust is designed, the tip looks much better turning upward a little bit. When it is at the vertical position, it looks very aftermarket and the gap between the tip and the rear valence is way too much. The tip without the correct clamp will move back down to the vertical position after some driving time and I would need ot prop it back up. That is why I think I need to get a replacement to resolve this issue.

As you can see from the picture, the screw head had broken off. Also, the clamp look a little bit lopsided. Anyone know where I can obtain a replacement? Thanks in advance.

P.S. By the way, I don't know how the V.1 sounds, however, the one I have (I believe is V.2) sounded great. I have to really thank the Captain for this one...:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:
That is a T-bolt clamp. I purchased a few of these awhile back at Napa auto parts. You might also check in your area for a shop that repairs turbochargers {even industrial/commercial} turbos like on big trucks. They'll usually carry these. It's not uncommon to find these locally. Worse case scenerio you can run a new bolt and nut through it and make it work.

Last edited:
That is a T-bolt clamp. I purchased a few of these awhile back at Napa auto parts. You might also check in your area for a shop that repairs turbochargers {even industrial/commercial} turbos like on big trucks. They'll usually carry these. It's not uncommon to find these locally. Worse case scenerio you can run a new bolt and nut through it and make it work.

Went to Pep Boys today, and they have nothing like this. They do have some clamps that hold the exhaust, but they are all different, kinda look like a bike lock. Anyway, I will try other auto stores to see if I can get one...:confused::frown:

Try NAPA or Just do a search for T-Bolt clamps on Amazon and you can get one for $3 or $4.

Why not just remove the broken bolt and get a new bolt? I think that you will find one of them quite easily. Remove the other clamp to get the EXACT size bolt. You may want to get a stronger one since that one broke. Maybe even go STAINLESS STEEL.

Went to Napa Auto and they don't have the same ones. The only they have is like the one that is currently holding up the side that has the broken clamp, way too thin and not the exact size (larger). I tried to remove the bolt but it is very hard to even turn it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

There are literaly hundreds of websites that carry those. Just find out what the outside diameter is of the tubing you have and order one.

There are literaly hundreds of websites that carry those. Just find out what the outside diameter is of the tubing you have and order one.

I think the problems that I see is most of the available ones that I have seen is much thinner and weaker. The one that came with the Tubi is very heavy and thick. I believe that is the reason why when I use a regular clamp the tip keeps on slip back to horizontal position, because they are not strong enough to hold it in place. I could be wrong, but that is what I am seeing right now..:eek:

Last edited:
Back