• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

help me decide, modded with snap ring problem or completely stock

So I am looking at two cars at the moment. One is a 1991 red with tan interior with 84k on the dial that is completely stock and needs a new timing belt. The other is a black with ivory interior 1992 with comptech header, exhaust, strut bar, koni adjustable shocks, rims, new clutch/pressure plate and 92k on it. There is a smallish crease by the driver rear bumper and that has the symptoms of snap ring failure(moving shifter in 2nd).

Since the black one has snap ring issues not just in the range, I'm worried that I will need a complete tranny rebuild.

Suggestions?

Depending on which mods you want it may be cheaper than the cost of fixing the tranny.

Black is always a great colour for the NSX! But listen to what LMR has to say on the subject, you already have a few thousand into the black car that might help offset the cost of getting the transmission replaced/rebuilt. If you enjoy a "blank canvas" like I do, then the red car is your best choice.​

Mods are nice but they don't contribute significantly to the cars value. For resale value, the stock one is the best choice. I definately would try to buy one that has the least mileage and the most maintenance records available which helps eliminate guess work regarding deferred maintenance. I would also try to avoid cars with body damage.

With that said, I probably would chose the red one.

Go modded one. You can find a 1991-1994 tranny pretty easily i think imo.

Red all the way, it's stock, less miles and no issues, brainless of a decision to me, good luck

If it were me, I would go for the stock red one even though I prefer black.

A new transmission case is $1,000. Figure another $1,000 in labor to replace. A used 5-speed goes for $1,500-$2,500. About the same cost either way.

the mods on the 92 are'nt that special and the milage is similar .costs averaged out over the next 5 years would be close...I'd go for the color combo that appeals the most to you.

Back