• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help!!! New owner of 4 months with a clutch problem

Hi, Just joined and I don't know if I am posting in the right place, but could not figure-out where to ask my question. I have a 2003 NSX w/70,000 miles I purchased a few months ago. I engaged the clutch while driving on a trip 3 hours from home and it did not recoil. I was able to get it to a Honda service place since no Acura service locations were nearby. They replaced the master cylinder but the following day there was fluid leaking from the rear of the car. The mechanic said it was spilled fluid from the bleeding of the lines and said he would clean it from beneath the car.

I drove it home, but the next day when I went to drive it, I engaged the clutch and it would not recoil. I found fluid beneath the rear of the car. It is now at a local Acura dealer, which I have never used, who is diagnosing it. Any thoughts would be helpful because I am not an auto mechanic and I want to be sure it gets fixed right this time but I also want to hold the Honda service location accountable if they screwed-up. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for this forum and I hope I am not misusing it.

At the rear of the car is the slave cylinder. Even after bleeding the clutch, there shouldn't be enough fluid to make a spot on the ground {unless your tech is just sloppy}. I'd guess the slave is leaking too. I'm a believer in replacing them as a pair. But that is me.

Whenever you change either one, both must be changed. Larry B. said it had to do with the different presure from the new and the old. Anyway, when I had the clutch to the floor I had both changed.

Good luck.

frankie

At the rear of the car is the slave cylinder. Even after bleeding the clutch, there shouldn't be enough fluid to make a spot on the ground {unless your tech is just sloppy}. I'd guess the slave is leaking too. I'm a believer in replacing them as a pair. But that is me.

Thanks for the info. This makes me wonder whether the slave was the problem and not the master and the mechanic overlooked it. Or whether replacing the master caused the slave to blow. Or they were both at issue. I appreciate you and others below who recommend both be changed regardless.

An additional question: what is your experience about any miles/years the does the master/slave last?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. Since we both have a 2003, when did yours go?

I think the answer is "weakest link".
As a system gets older, all the components age then one finally fails. If you ONLY fix the failured component you have a new part in an aged system...something else can break from age/wear at any time.

Think of headlights...many people replace both (while they are at it) when one fails...because the laws of average say the other one wil fail soon.

Last edited:
Agree need to change both, but someone yelled at me saying you don't need to change both, well Now if Larry B said you always change both at the same time

then I consider it FACT now.... so that person that yelled at me for saying to always change both " eat your words buddy ":biggrin:

First you need to fully understand, the master and slave both operate everytime you shift up/down. In a years time that's more than I can count. In several years, more than most people can count. They get tired.
Thanks for the info. This makes me wonder whether the slave was the problem and not the master and the mechanic overlooked it. Or whether replacing the master caused the slave to blow. Or they were both at issue. I appreciate you and others below who recommend both be changed regardless.

An additional question: what is your experience about any miles/years the does the master/slave last?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the info. Since we both have a 2003, when did yours go?

All comments above are correct. Change both, then you will not have to change the one you did not later. A few years ago a person here on prime, cannot recall who, posted about seal technology and explained that in this type of system, with seals at both ends, and being operated together, if you replace one, the other will be the weak link(as commented above). Personally I would not change only one, do not want a "come back" for the other later, too much inconvenience for the owner.

My $.02

Regards,
LarryB

Back