• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Help pick a car for parents

I need to buy a new car for my parents. The old maxima has almost had it. Not looking to break the bank here, I am hoping to get something used for no more than 15K. They drive like 100 miles a month. Dad likes to haul shit from home depot, but he also doesn't like a rough ride or something too big. Go figure...

I am looking for some recommendations in the used market. I have thought of just saying F it and get them the new 2013 base accord when it comes out. I thought of a used CRV or a Rav4, but he will whine it's so slow he constantly raves about the Maxima's power. Plus the accord is a new body style and it will hold it's value like rock.

Some American cars seem to be good deals. Both sedans and suv's. I havent owned an american car in like 20 years and it was a total POS then. I am a bit afraid still. Gas mileage not a big deal here, like I said they drive 1000 miles a year. I looked at used hyundais because they still have a lot f warranty but man... Seems like hyundai buyers of the past do very little maintenance on their cars... Holy moly there is some beat up crap out there.

Last edited:
This is perfect for your parents, Dave. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ugWnXyMH4m0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously though, I would buy them a used Hyundai Azera given the budget and requirements. It's like an Avalon but cheaper. :wink:

This is perfect for your parents, Dave. :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ugWnXyMH4m0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously though, I would buy them a used Hyundai Azera given the budget and requirements. It's like an Avalon but cheaper. :wink:

LOL... I'll look into azeras. They did cross my mind. Kinda ugly but who cares, it's not like my dad is picking up chix. The new one looks pretty nice.

You know, I really thought of the avalon but they are rather pricey, arent they? They dont lose a lot.... I wonder if I can get a good one within my budget... or if I should just spend another 5K and get a new accord.

I drove an accord coupe a few months ago. Basic 4 cylinder. Man... was this thing good in terms of driving dynamics. Not crazy fast but smooth, strong, terrific steering and brakes, very responsive and comfy. The interior looked terrible but it really drove nice.

How about a used Ford Fusion SEL V6? I have one as a company car and its pretty nice. Roomy, reasonably fast, leather, etc. You should be able to get a late model pretty cheap because I just saw recently they were offering something like 5k off sticker on new ones to make room for the new 2013 body style.

Examples
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/used/2...Id-pseudoPrice-yrId-trId&pgId=2102&trId=24993

Last edited:
accord lx leases are very reasonable here... 189/ month with 0 down and 1000 drive off. might be worth looking into.

as for used cars, 15,000 will get you a lot of car... so it really comes down to what you want.

what maxima is it? the Rav 4 comes in V6 form, so it can't be too bad, power-wise. ride is the question though.

hyundai's are junk though from what i heard from tech's that work on them.

We bought our first Honda CR-V back in 98 and drove it 10 years/160,000 flawless miles. Have a new one now and love it more. Excellent economy, plenty of room for hauling stuff without being to big.

A used, good condition, 03-05ish Acura RL can be had for around that price. That is a lot of car for the money.

If they are ok with suvs, a used 2006-2007 Highlander (or as others noted CRV) is in the range of $16K and they are bulletproof. We have a 2006 Highlander in the family and it is peppy for low end torque speed.

Dodge Magnum

Hauls stuff:

wood1.jpg

Fast:

2006-hennessey-magnum-srt500-burnout-photo-56720-s-1280x782.jpg

and cheap:

http://www.carsforsale.com/used_cars_for_sale/Dodge_Magnum

Seriously there is only one car you need to consider since you already stated your dad likes to haul stuff (just like mine).

For many years my parents were all about American cars. (He had mostly Pontiac SSEi's, Dodge, and later into the Caddy's) They NEVER had an import till we got them a Lexus RX350 back in 2008 new from dealer.

I think today right now they have 3341 miles on the SUV which is mind blowing. At this rate they will have less mines than my NSX with the same age car and I hardly ever drive my NSX (granted I bought mine with 8k on the clock already)

My point is for your parents a used Lexus RX will fit the bill perfectly. I think you can get a 05, maybe 06/07 if you are good at negotiating and those are awesome cars. I have 5 close friends and besides the toy cars, all of them own an RX in some shape or form.

Good power, decent styling, good options like backup cam and easily hauls stuff and easy to park, etc.

In our current line-up of cars in our family, we have 6 cars and 2 of them have the Lexus badge :biggrin: (just sold the IS-F or it would be 3)

A used, good condition, 03-05ish Acura RL can be had for around that price. That is a lot of car for the money.

Yes, very good... I forgot about this. It's not exactly a hauler but it is AWD, and he does with the Maxima now so maybe he can do with the RL.It's safe, reliable... now have to find a low milage one. Not an easy task. The ones I find are all crazy miles. But definitely a bargain car and if I need a nice sedan I can borrow it.

Last edited:
I say go German. We've owned Mercedes forever. I'm sure he would enjoy an E class of the 02'+ years for a good price now. Plenty of room and power. Plus luxury in every way.

I say go German. We've owned Mercedes forever. I'm sure he would enjoy an E class of the 02'+ years for a good price now. Plenty of room and power. Plus luxury in every way.

Yeah except when it breaks...

Yes, very good... I forgot about this. It's not exactly a hauler but it is AWD, and he does with the Maxima now so maybe he can do with the RL.It's safe, reliable... now have to find a low milage one. Not an easy task. The ones I find are all crazy miles. But definitely a bargain car and if I need a nice sedan I can borrow it.

I just looked through ebaymotors and autotrader and it looks like the $15K mark may be a little bit low. I was actually referring to the 05-08 models with SH-AWD, but those int he $15K range tend to have 80K to 110K miles. The earlier generation RL could also be a good pick too. Should also be very reliable, and an upgrade from his Maxima, so to speak.

If I was looking for something in that range, I would also consider a Volvo S60R, except that they tend to be unreliable and have a bunch of expensive things break. When they work, they are excellent, and I'll leave it at that. I have a 2005 T5 6 Speed now, ask me how I know...

Funny, My rents are in the same boat. Their 86 Maxima was on it's last leg and sold. Now looking to upgrade from an 03 CRV.
I'm hoping July 4th will present some good deals. I think the CRV is the way to go.

Anyone know when the new accord is coming out? RLs are all high mileage.

Highlanders hold their value! Lots of Hondas and toyotas is rather buy new. Used ones are not worth it!

Highlanders hold their value! Lots of Hondas and toyotas i would rather buy new. Used ones are not worth it. My parents don't leave the house when it snows. Don't need AWD, I'm wondering if a wagon is not more suitable. Dad gets to haul more things, and mom can see out of it better and see better. Don't need a Magnum SRT but now I'm racking my brain for wagons.

Highlanders hold their value! Lots of Hondas and toyotas i would rather buy new. Used ones are not worth it. My parents don't leave the house when it snows. Don't need AWD, I'm wondering if a wagon is not more suitable. Dad gets to haul more things, and mom can see out of it better and see better. Don't need a Magnum SRT but now I'm racking my brain for wagons.

Nobody makes a better wagon than Mercedes.. :rolleyes:

I leased my Mom a 2011 TL Base, great car and she loves it. Before that she had an 09 TSX which she also liked. Both great cars that will run forever and never break. Check them out. Can never go wrong with Acura/Honda.

Well I just talked to dad and he doesn't want anything really big. Said he doesn't need a wagon. He will continue to haul 2x4s in a sedan. LOL... just as I was starting to look at E320 wagons....

Literally can't go wrong w/ a new Accord...

I need to buy a new car for my parents...

I have thought of just saying F it and get them the new 2013 base accord when it comes out...
Anyone know when the new accord is coming out?
It's anticipated that the (redesigned) 9th gen. USDM 2013 Accord will be out late August / early September. The Detroit NAIAS showed the '13 Accord coupe concept, and the Beijing Int'l Auto-show revealed the Concept-C which is presumably what the USDM '13 Accord sedan (and JDM Inspire) will be more-or-less.

After negotiating/discounting, paying for $20k-$25k for a new Accord (i4/automatic & trim levels ranging from LX-P to EX-L) presents a solid long-term value.

Last edited:
Sorry didn't read all the posts, but the new Avalon is SEXY if you ask me (for an Avalon that is). Perfect car for a 50+ driver. I have the current model and it is smooth, big, and comfortable. Perfect daily driver.

Back