• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Here I go again - Valhalla's '97 Spa Yellow Pearl

As some might have heard, I had a little "incident" Sunday morning. We had about 30+ NSX's set up to do a drive up Malibu Canyon for a nice Sunday cruise and breakfast. But I had to screw this up royally. I was to lead the second group of three up the freeway, out the 10 to Santa Monica and Pacific Coast Highway and then up the canyon. Problem was I barely made it on to the freeway.

As we cleared the last traffic at the light and we began to merge onto the 405 freeway, we accelerated and quickly up the ramp and onto the freeway. I was in third gear getting ready to up-shift and the rear of the car when dead left. No warning, no drift, tire squeal, nothing. It just went dead left and I was looking at a concrete wall 10 feet in front of me. I had no time to react and hit the wall dead on straight. I watched it all. I saw the air bags deploy and the smoke filled the cockpit. I can still hear the sounds of the car striking the wall. I remember thinking to myself, "what just happened?" I was conscious as I was spinning down the side of the freeway and waiting for the car to stop. I looked up over the inflated airbag and the hood that was now sitting a bit higher than I remember and seeing the freeway and traffic going by me. But I was dazed and confused. How did this happen?

Moments later, fellow NSX'ers are there with me. Mike has an extinguisher in his hands as the smoke for the airbags billows out by driver side window. I roll down the other window and it begins to dissipate. Danny is asking me if I'm all right. I can't answer him as the belts tightened during the crash and my chest is in such pain that I can't even croak out an answer. The ignition is still on so I turn it off, undo my belt and slowly crawl out of the car. Danny is saying something about blood running into my eyes. He tries to wipe it away with his hand. I tell him I have some towels in the trunk and he retrieves one for both of us. I look behind my car and see a line of NSX's down and around the corner, all parked on the side of the freeway. Sorry guys, you really don't want to follow my lead anymore.

CHP shows up and asks some questions. The LA firefighters show up in force with four trucks responding. They ask me if I'm hurt. My response? "Only my chest and broken heart". One of the officers gets it as he is a car guy. They check my vitals and ask if I want to go to the hospital. I decline. Danny and Shirley are hanging with me to make sure I'm OK. And T is hanging too. A freaking circus on the side of the 405 with a bunch of NSX's, three CHP units and four fire trucks. All because of me. I'm feeling a little small now.

The tow rig arrives and I'm thankful it's a low boy drive on. They are used to handling low vehicles here. I tell everyone to get on their way with the drive, don't wait on me because there is nothing any one can do. I wave goodby to a bunch of them as they drive by, shooting pictures or waving at me. But T stayed behind. He was riding solo and volunteered to bring me back home. I asked him where he lived and he said Moreno Valley. I told him he didn't have to but he insisted. He drove me 90 minutes south to my house and then home to have lunch with his wife and 9 month old son. Unbelievable. And there was nothing I could do to compensate him, he refused all offers. In fact he gave me 2 of the new NSX t-Shirts he is making! the redeeming part is T is an Emergency Room nurse. So my wife, who I call on the way home, is not satisfied with my answers of being ok. So I hand my phone to T so that he can inform my wife. she is very relieved at his answers of my current state. Thanks T, I owe you big time.

So what caused this? I don't have a clue. It happened so fast. I've driven the car for four years and she has never done this before. Could it have been something on the pavement, a broken half shaft? I really don't know as I have never experienced this in the car. It was like someone literately picked up the rear of the car and set it back down 90 degrees left of where it was. One moment I'm looking at 6 lanes of I-405 and the next moment I'm looking at concrete and catch fence.

So the two pictures below are of the car 10 minutes apart. I think you'll be able to sort which one was taken first. And so now comes the rebuild, part deux, of Layla.

DSCF0201_zps2ym2j83g.jpg

10931016_10206345223778311_3955555420656756997_n.jpg

I think I'm going to need a couple of parts so if you can help, I'd be truly appreciative. I'm alive, my wife still loves me and I have the best family in the world with my fellow NSX'ers. Thanks to all.

at least you are OK and no one else was hurt. cars can be unmangled, humans are a bit more complicated.

the damage doesn't look too bad, perfect for an 02+ conversion if that's your thing.

I'm so sorry to hear about this. I am happy to hear you are okay and wish you the best success with repairs. Please keep us updated as you learn more. I survived the destruction of a '97 Spa and hope you don't have to.

Wow, so sorry to hear and see the damage done to your beautiful car. Glad to hear you weren't physically hurt and good luck getting her back to form!

It takes a lot to post up here what you did and what happened. You have my respect.

Keep your chin up :smile:

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I have been contacted by several SoCal folks and I have a line on a hood, fenders and bumpers so I have some parts here. Got a call from the insurance adjuster and they are assigning a claims agent to look at the car and give an estimate. I informed them that if they were planning on totaling the car, I would be buying the car back.

So I am looking for a shop that can do the work. Heading up later today to see the car and shoot some pictures so that I can determine what other parts I will need. I'll look close at the headlight buckets and the frame rails to make sure the car is salvageable. I'm hoping for some good luck on this front. If I find little to no damage aft of the radiator, I will click my heals and kiss my lucky stars. If there is a twisted frame rail? I just might just collapse into a little ball of flesh and cry my eyes out. Not a pretty sight, I assure you.

I'll let you know what I find. Wish me luck.

First and foremost youre OK! Cars are insured and can be repaired and yours certainly looks one worht saving.

I'm not familiar with your location compared to Shawn who is in Tampa area, but if anyone can fix this for you he can, and probably has a lot of the parts you may need. I visited him at his shop last year and he just loves bringing NSX's back to life and is a really knowledgeable guy.

Best of luck and I really hope you are able to identify the cause to restore your faith in your NSX.

Regards, Paul

First and foremost, glad to see you're OK. Secondly, I am glad you will be repairing your car and bringing it back to life. It especially pains me to see ANY Spa Yellow or Rio Yellow Pearl in the current condition such as yours. I'm sure it will come back even better! Can't wait to see the thread when she is back to normal!!

I'm interested in what actually happened here:
Was there a mechanical failure? was traction control on? overzealous driving?...etc......
Did it "happen again" with this same car?

Last edited:
So I went to look at the car today and I took some pictures. i have a feeling that it will be totaled. There looks to be some frame damage but it might be able to be pulled back in line. These were no fun to take.
View attachment 122396View attachment 122397View attachment 122398View attachment 122399View attachment 122400

- - - Updated - - -

I'm interested in what actually happened here:
Was there a mechanical failure? was traction control on? overzealous driving?...etc......
Did it "happen again" with this same car?

I don't have an answer for you at this time. Traction Control was not on. And to be honest, with only 10 feet between myself and the wall when this happened, I doubt seriously if TC could have made any difference. Overzealous driving? We were merging onto one of the busiest freeways in all of America, I was not at the track. Did it "happen again"? I'm not quite sure what you are referring to but the car has never done this before and I do some spirited driving in the canyons out here. This was something completely foreign to me and the car. I'll have more on the mechanical side one I get the car back in my possession.

That totally sucks man! And I agree with Alum04org about posting it. Most people would never dare if the car got damaged. The way I look at it, me buying my dream car on a salvaged title is that I was never looking to sell it in the future. I will say though, it gave me quite a few ups and downs and I almost sold it. But I manned up and fought.
It is still giving me ups and downs just like a relationship. With each and every downfall comes perseverance.
Better buy that Oem bumper quick before uncle Honda stops making it. Good luck brother.

Wait,,,, I know how it happened. That girl with the pink hair wearing what looks like 2 inch long shorts. I think we found the culprit for the distraction.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, much appreciated. I have been contacted by several SoCal folks and I have a line on a hood, fenders and bumpers so I have some parts here. Got a call from the insurance adjuster and they are assigning a claims agent to look at the car and give an estimate. I informed them that if they were planning on totaling the car, I would be buying the car back.

So I am looking for a shop that can do the work. Heading up later today to see the car and shoot some pictures so that I can determine what other parts I will need. I'll look close at the headlight buckets and the frame rails to make sure the car is salvageable. I'm hoping for some good luck on this front. If I find little to no damage aft of the radiator, I will click my heals and kiss my lucky stars. If there is a twisted frame rail? I just might just collapse into a little ball of flesh and cry my eyes out. Not a pretty sight, I assure you.

I'll let you know what I find. Wish me luck.
Glad you are ok. Hate to see damage to any NSX but especially a '97 Spa Yellow. Isn't TCS on unless you switch it off? I hope things turn out OK on the damage front.

Sorry to hear but as others have said at least you're okay. Look forward to the rebuild or the next NSX.

I do have options and that is what is keeping me sane. They are;
1) Get the car back and fix her if possible
2) Get the car back, strip it of all the go fast parts, replacing it with stock parts and sell it off for auction
3) Get the car back, strip the go fast parts and place them on another NSX yet to be purchased/named
4) Take the insurance check and hunt for another NSX

Number 4 is the easiest option but that has never been my style. But depending upon the settlement price for the car, she may be too expensive for me to buy it back and afford the repairs.

Don't know if number 1 is doable due to that frame rail. And I won't unless I buy the car back and can pull her apart enough to see all of the damage. If it is possible I will have to go the '02 conversion because the headlight buckets were damaged and it would take forever to get all of the panels to line up, if at all.

Numbers 2 and three would be the most time consuming and costly. I'm sure if I just let it go to auction, Macninja or Shawn in Tampa would buy it and either use it for parts or replace the entire front clip. The thought of Layla in someone garage is not a comforting one.

So at this point, if the insurance company gives me a good number, I'll keep the car and progress toward option one. That is up to the point we can't fix her. More pics will come after I talk with the insurance company.

Just got done talking with the adjuster. They want to see what the car would bring at auction before they do the settlement with me. I am still in first position to match the highest bid out there. So I kindly ask all not to bid on my car and drive the price up. I am going to be buying her back to repair and put back on the road and the less I have to spend on buying her back will go into the repairs. Come on guys, do me a solid.

I saw it on Copart this morning as well. I had to come back to this thread to do a double take. Figured they were doing a test bid.

If you really want the car back I hope it comes back. Isn't there some saying about love along the same lines!

Back