• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HID Headlights Kit Recommendation. Problems with existing HID lights

Most of the earlier hid kits were rated at 35 watts. The 55w kits were false as they were rating them at their stepped current at startup. As 55w models became more popular, the bulbs improved as well by improving the tungsten electrode and gas contained in it to handle 55w or more of current.
Since it is the gas that creates the light, it requires only a certain amount of current after the arc to maintain its state (where the molecules release photons which is what creates light, or something like that), which can be 35 watts minimum up to 55w or more.
So, early made bulbs that werent rated to 55 watts, would usually just burn out. A too high rated bulb that required a minimum of 55 watts and running at 35 would also burn out early as there would be insufficient current to maintain the gas molecules at its reactive state.

Hows that for a good guess.

Most of the earlier hid kits were rated at 35 watts. The 55w kits were false as they were rating them at their stepped current at startup. As 55w models became more popular, the bulbs improved as well by improving the tungsten electrode and gas contained in it to handle 55w or more of current.
Since it is the gas that creates the light, it requires only a certain amount of current after the arc to maintain its state (where the molecules release photons which is what creates light, or something like that), which can be 35 watts minimum up to 55w or more.
So, early made bulbs that werent rated to 55 watts, would usually just burn out. A too high rated bulb that required a minimum of 55 watts and running at 35 would also burn out early as there would be insufficient current to maintain the gas molecules at its reactive state.

Hows that for a good guess.

Sounds good to me.

So based on DDMTuning's claim that their bulbs can handle up to 60w Max, and based on the assumption that they only mail out those 60w bulbs with all their kits (35w kits and 55w kits). Would it be safe to say that these "newer" 60w max bulbs have a 30-35w minimum (thus an operating range of 30-60watts)?

Otherwise how could or why would DDM offer a lifetime warranty on these kits if they knew they were going to fail?

I dont think there would be a problem using late model bulbs at 35w. If it couldnt run at 35w, then the color temperature of the bulb should be way off, or probably flicker alot.
Many manufacturers, or distributors offer a lifetime warranty, because the item involved is such a low cost compared to the marketing strength it carries. If a bulb goes bad, for 2-3 dollars cost, its worth it to give him a new one. Saves a long phone call of an irate customer.
Most lifetime warranties are valid only to the original purchaser, and most people only keep their cars for 3-5 years, or they keep buying "new and improved digital" HID kits thinking it will be better.

so i got brand new hid kit installed. 35w 6000k. everything was good for a few weeks, meaning both lights will turn on when clicked. but now, sometimes, the driver's side light will flicker and will not turn on. and after i drive a bit, then both lights will turn on. do u guys think this is a headlight fuse problem? has anyone come across this problem?

so i got brand new hid kit installed. 35w 6000k. everything was good for a few weeks, meaning both lights will turn on when clicked. but now, sometimes, the driver's side light will flicker and will not turn on. and after i drive a bit, then both lights will turn on. do u guys think this is a headlight fuse problem? has anyone come across this problem?

I'd ask evof575gtc, since you bought it from him. I've never had that problem with any of DDM/Apexcone kits I own.

I actually remember a similar problem from before and it had to do with rain getting into the relay and shorting it out. . . however there hasn't been any rain recently. . .

Did you ever figure out the problem?

I actually remember a similar problem from before and it had to do with rain getting into the relay and shorting it out. . . however there hasn't been any rain recently. . .

Did you ever figure out the problem?
no, i still haven't... =(

I have the same problem, my passenger side HID light
doesn't come on at the first try (or very rarely)... I have
to switch on several times for it to light up :mad:

It is really annoying because i have changed the ballast,
changed the bulb, put a relay but nothing cures the problem :confused:
Perhaps I have to simply use dielectric grease...

yeah... now it's actually the driver's side hid light that is not functioning... before, i can just turn on and off a few times and it would come on. now, it doesn't even turn on, just flickers... going to get it checked out this week or next... maybe it's a fuse problem? hmm...

I just skimmed this thread but I had the same problem as you. Bought my car with Hid's installed and one of my sides gives me problems sometimes.

I figured out though mines a loose connection or something because when I pop my hood and just move the major cord around and place it in a different position kinda then it works fine.

Stephen

It could be a loose connection, it's what I thought at the first
time but the strange thing is that when the HIDs are on, they
stay on until I switch them off.
Nonetheless, I'll give another try, who knows :redface:

For those of you who have the DDM Kit, I have installed the DDM digital slim 35W 4.5K for fog light on my other car. The color is slight more yellow on one, but they both started up about the same color. This is only noticeable on close-up and look about the same from like 20 feet away.

The lens on the fog is also kinda hot.... Is that normal?

Thx.

it was actually a bad ballast. had that replaced and it was good to go. hopefully there'll be no more probs. *crossing fingers*

Back