• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

High-Speed Handling Test (R&T June 02)

June 02 R&T has a "high speed handling test" -- results were somewhat surprising.

M3 scored lower than I had expected, possibly due to increased power-on oversteer. Also, NSX was NOT on the list, although I think it would've placed at least 4th.

Interesting article.

I hate when they leave the NSX off the list. I haven't seen the article, but it seems like the NSX is always left out.
frown.gif

Originally posted by NetViper:
I hate when they leave the NSX off the list. I haven't seen the article, but it seems like the NSX is always left out.
frown.gif
Its the only way the other cars have a chance. J/K
smile.gif

They always seem to leave out the NSX, and the Viper on these things....I wonder why..maybe because they are in another level =) also- so much praise for the Z06...to me everyone has a vette..

It's a nice article. The NSX is the most prominent car pictured on the cover. And it came in a strong second (to the Porsche).

Some notes...

That's an odd assortment of cars for a comparison. Not so much the Z06 or the C4S, but the M Coupe (why not the M3?) and the TVR Tuscan S (which is apparently the closest a production car can get to a kit car, a la Lotus Elise).

They refer to a GBP10K price reduction, but the current price quoted in the article (GBP59,995, or USD87,790) is almost exactly the same as the price in the States. Perhaps it was selling at a much higher price there previously; I don't know.

They show the tires as Dunlop SP Sport 8070. I thought it carries Sport 8040 tires in the States...

They quote 0-60 as 5.5 seconds, estimated. Probably estimated by Porsche
smile.gif
, since that's way out of line with all the tests that other magazines do.

Why do they show the NSX as only having 276 hp? A lot of the numbers for the NSX are just plain wrong - 15.4 gallons in the fuel tank instead of 18.5, 168 mph top speed instead of 175, etc.

Much of the text was highly complimentary. Over and over, they say things like, "I'd forgotten how very close the NSX is to perfection", referring to how "you could be tricked into thinking the NSX is old, dated, and slow. Until you drive it..." and "A dozen years down the line, it's still a class act." Almost as though they're apologizing for neglecting its position with the best of the supercars for the past 8-10 years. As well they should be.

The gallons discrepancy is easily explained once you understand that the Brits use Imperial Gallons.

1 Imperial Gallon x 1.2009 = US Gallon

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

The price of an NSX in the UK was 70k pounds a few years ago. Their prices include VAT which is the tax. I don't know the rate but here the VAT is 7 percent.

Forza Ferrari ! Everywhere; on the street, on the track, today in Austria... My NSX is starting to feel like a dinosaur ! Come on Honda, give us some more hybrids and minivans!
T.S.(NSX/360F1)

Originally posted by Jimbo:
The gallons discrepancy is easily explained once you understand that the Brits use Imperial Gallons.

1 Imperial Gallon x 1.2009 = US Gallon

-Jim

Thanks, Jim.

And here I thought we still used the British system of measurement...
wink.gif

Back