• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Holy Moly, this cool weather tuned my car into a wild animal!

EAC

Legendary Member
Son of a! This cool weather makes this thing scary to drive. I punched it in 4th gear yesterday and the ass end got loose on me. :eek:

This thing screams like hell. My butt dyno easily says 500+whp.

I've never had it pull this hard before.

Gotta watch out for afr if air temp vs fuel table is not setting right, my car run .4 afr leaner when iat under 70 degree

Son of a! This cool weather makes this thing scary to drive. I punched it in 4th gear yesterday and the ass end got loose on me. :eek:

It'll make you pucker up for sure.
Third gear wheel hops are somewhat amusing but hitting the upper end of the RPM range in 4th and breaking loose are two different animals.
But you're a big boy E, I'm sure that you'll adapt- much easier than your car will adapt to its current surroundings! :biggrin:

Gotta watch out for afr if air temp vs fuel table is not setting right, my car run .4 afr leaner when iat under 70 degree
Sorry to be a little bit of a downer EAC, just want you to have lots of years of fun in your NSX.

Basically what doc said. Just make sure your readings are right and go have a blast!

Cold air is like turning up the boost. Gotta make sure you're tuned for it.

Cold temps can also make your tires less grippy, an interesting second pucker factor!

Brian

Unless the AEM FIC is different than other ECU's, it "should" compensate for cold weather.

Yes, I know things can get a little hairy in cold weather with a turbo. My AFR's and Boost were rock steady.

waiting for ur engine build thread..... :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

a car never feels faster than right before it blows up......................

Exactly what happened to me spinning 1st and 2nd gear with 285 wide Extreme rated tires from a roll start off the line.....

Unless the AEM FIC is different than other ECU's, it "should" compensate for cold weather.

The FIC has no effect on any temps either AIT or Engine coolant temps. The FIC only alters the OEM ECUs inputs and outputs to obtain the desired effect. The OEM ECU is still in charge of temperature compensation. In your case make sure the meth is on and working as the biggest change the OEM ECU is going to make with regards to cooler temps is to add timing (timing =power).

Dave

Last edited:
The FIC has no effect on any temps either AIT or Engine coolant temps. The FIC only alters the OEM ECUs inputs and outputs to obtain the desired effect. The OEM ECU is still in charge of temperature compensation. In your case make sure the meth is on and working as the biggest change the OEM ECU is going to make with regards to temp is to add timing (timing =power).

Dave

The Meth is on, however I did have a mishap on saturday where the meth line popped off and hosed down my entire engine bay!

So, the stock ECU is compensating for the cold temps right? That's what meant.

Last edited:
The Meth is on, however I did have a mishap on saturday where the meth line popped off and hosed down my entire engine bay!

So, the stock ECU is compensating for the cold temps right? That's what meant.

The OEM ECU is compensating as it was originally programmed to do by Mother HONDA.

So did the engine bay get any cleaner with its alcohol bath. You reconsidering the 100% Meth maybe 50/50?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xhcfeN_kRw

Dave

What Dave is saying is that the F/IC only alters the injector output. It doesn't have any compensation for air temperature by itself, only the OEM ECU does. This is OK since at least one of these units are compensating for the cooler air.

He's also saying that when the OEM ECU reads the cooler air it will effectively advance the timing. When you advance the timing it increases the chances of engine knock. Therefore, he's saying make sure that damn Meth is on for the added fuel stability so no KABOOOM!

:) :) :)

- - - Updated - - -

The OEM ECU is compensating as it was originally programmed to do by Mother HONDA.

So did the engine bay get any cleaner with its alcohol bath. You reconsidering the 100% Meth maybe 50/50?

Dave
If he doesn't need the cooling i'd probably do 100% meth in the colder months and just keep an eye on that AFR. What would you do Dave?

Dave

Ha, I'm starting to reconsider the 100% Meth after that. I'm surprised I didn't burn myself up! I still plan on getting with you for a re-tune.

An even 50 degrees here in Cincinnati.
I had a dream that I took my commercial insurance agent to lunch in my NSX today. He had come in showing me a FB shot of a friend in a showroom with some Roush Mustangs. He asked me what I thought about them and I said "nice Mustang but still a Mustang" (not like Peiserg's Mustang though). I guess he thought he wanted something faster than his F-250.
While headed to the interstate (letting the car get up to temp) I asked him what the fastest car that he had been in and he said "Porsche 911". I laughed and he said "aren't those fast?". I said "they are quick, not fast".
The interstate near work is 4 lanes wide and was empty when we entered. I left it in third and hit it in the middle lane.
It got a little sideways and then it got a little sideways again at the top of fourth and I eased out of it in fifth.
He said that he almost threw up and asked that I not do that again. We enjoyed some ribs and finished our respective work days.
Sweet daydreams of free HP...

Last edited:
Wow I'm only ballsy enough to run 8.5 and i have forged internals! What ems are you running

What EMS? I'm using the AEM FIC. Ha...

If you've got forged internals, turn that stuff up!

- - - Updated - - -

An even 50 degrees here in Cincinnati.
I had a dream that I took my commercial insurance agent to lunch in my NSX today. He had come in showing me a FB shot of a friend in a showroom with some Roush Mustangs. He asked me what I thought about them and I said "nice Mustang but still a Mustang" (not like Peiserg's Mustang though). I guess he thought he wanted something faster than his F-250.
While headed to the interstate (letting the car get up to temp) I asked him what the fastest car that he had been in and he said "Porsche 911". I laughed and he said "aren't those fast?". I said "they are quick, not fast".
The interstate near work is 4 lanes wide and was empty when we entered. I left it in third and hit it in the middle lane.
It got a little sideways and then it got a little sideways again at the top of fourth and I eased out of it in fifth.
He said that he almost threw up and asked that I not do that again. We enjoyed some ribs and finished our respective work days.
Sweet daydreams of free HP...

Ha, we have simlar dreams!

Back