• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

Horn update...Ferrari sound...anyone?

I remember a while back someone wanting to change out the OEM horns for some that sounded similarly to those found on Ferrari's. Does anyone know what horn will work?

I know RM use to sell it, but not anymore. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

------------------
Richard
NSXTASY

The horns that you are looking for are made by Fiamm. They one's that they sell retail, have plastic trumpets, thus they don't sound as strong as the Ferrai's horns. I think that you can still find the metal trumpets online somewhere though.

The install is very easy btw.

[This message has been edited by Dr.Lane (edited 27 October 2001).]

I tried buying the "Ferrari" horns from RM. They had none in stock and they referred me to a mail-order house specializing in Ferrari parts. THAT place told me the Ferrari parts are the exact same parts as the Hella kit, which they sold me. BTW, the Hella kits generally run $70-80.

The NSX has three horns - two regular ones and a third in a separate location (I think the latter works for the alarm as well as the regular horn). I replaced the two with the Hellas, but left the third stock one in. Sounds great.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I replaced the two with the Hellas, but left the third stock one in. Sounds great.

At the time you speculated that it might sound better if you removed the third horn and asked if others had done that. Did you change your mind - meaning does it really sound good with one "standard" horn and two air horn trumpets? When your alarm sounds do you get just the one standard horn going off? I think it was Enrico who said he unplugged it and had the air horns for the alarm and horn.

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

NSXTASY,
Would you still have the place they referred you to, maybe a telephone number. Also do you still have your reciept that would list the part number for them. We would greatly appreciate that to make sure we get the right product. Thanks

At the time you speculated that it might sound better if you removed the third horn and asked if others had done that.

I don't recall that, but it's possible.

Did you change your mind - meaning does it really sound good with one "standard" horn and two air horn trumpets?

Yes, it sounds fine.

When your alarm sounds do you get just the one standard horn going off?

I don't know, I'll check and report back.

Would you still have the place they referred you to, maybe a telephone number.

It was http://www.italiancarparts.com

Also do you still have your reciept that would list the part number for them.

It was the horn that was a direct replacement for the Ferrari F355 horn. I think it was the dual-tone kit number HV-4 that's shown on their website here.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 October 2001).]

I have the triple air horns by Fiamm. I bought the kit from PepBoys for $40. The packaging is some generic company, but the whole kit is Fiamm. Yes, the air horns are plastic and not metal. I think the triple horns sound better than two. To me, it sounds like a Ferrari horn.

My alarm guy installed them for me. He fabricated a bracket. The only thing wrong about the air horn kit I bought is that they only give you a couple of inches of clear plastic tubing. I tossed that and bought enough length at Menards. You can find it in the plumbing section.

It's great. When you blast the horn, everyone gets out of your way!
biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 27 October 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jim (edited 27 October 2001).]

Great info guys!

After hearing the sound files above, I would want to get the 3 horn unit.

Ken, does yours sound similar to the dual horn setup?(I know you have the extra OEM horn on there)

Jim, how about yours, does it sound like the above sound clips?

It seems like this will be simple upgrade, and one worth doing.
smile.gif

Ken, does yours sound similar to the dual horn setup? (I know you have the extra OEM horn on there)

No, you can definitely hear the extra OEM horn too. It's actually kind of nice to hear the blend of the different tones, the air horn with the conventional OEM horn. (I have air horns in other cars so I can hear the difference between the NSX blend and the air horn solo.)

I don't get it. Why would you want your horn to sound like a ferrari? I just don't feel the need to replicate any other car with my NSX. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

Originally posted by jag:
I don't get it. Why would you want your horn to sound like a ferrari? I just don't feel the need to replicate any other car with my NSX. I guess that's what makes the world go round.

Substitute "european" for ferrari. I think ferrari was mentioned so that people would know what sound the original poster was referring to. I don't give a gnat's whisker what other car it sounds like - I'm after louder and a more pleasant sound. So it's not about replicating the sound of the ferrari.

------------------
The NSX Model List Page

[This message has been edited by lemansnsx (edited 28 October 2001).]

I agree with Andrew.

BTW, when testing my original NSX horn side-by-side with our 1988 Honda Civic 4WD Wagon, they sounded identical.

Back