• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Horrible f***ing news for me....

Biaggi said:
It may not sound like it would warrant a salvage title, but insurance companies look at the damage of the car whether it be 1 panel or 2, etc... and if it exceeds something like 70-75% of the total value, then it is the decision of the insurance company to label it salvaged or not. Prime example is I had an 89 CRXsi that got a small rear end damage causing the right side of the rear umper to buckle and the force bent the right rear fender a little and also creased right B pillar between the rear hatch and the rear right quarter window. They stated that the structure of the car was breached. Well it didn't look like much but the damage exceeded 80% of the retail value, so they salvaged it. I bought it back for 15% of the retail value and it drove fine and I managed to bang the dent out and replace the bumper myself. So I was happy but it had a salvaged title regardless....

When I hear that only a "few" body parts was replaced, I imagine a part that was merely reordered and replaced. No other body work required apart from the repaint and the install. Things like a new hood, fender, bumper, etc. Nothing that would compromise the structural integrity of the car.

Anything that compromises the structural integrity of the car IMHO would be damage that can only be fixed by welding and such. I've seen a few NSXs that have been in a roll-over accident. The damage to these cars were so great that they cannot be fixed without extensive body work. I bet that to bring your CRX back to OEM specs in terms of structural integrity, it would have required more work than just banging out a dent and replacing a bumper.

RSO 34 said:

This "young and naive" pitch doesn't fly either considering your earlier posts that bordered on boasting about how great a deal you got because it was a salvage but you didn't care since the price was right. I also seem to remember your long since deleted thread that touted your internet site as well as shilling for some book that causes me to be less than empathetic at this time. On the one hand, you wanted everyone here to believe you were a successful entrepreneur and now you want to portray yourself as a duped kid. Sorry to rain on your parade, but you can't have it both ways.

Just take the insurance, fix the car and stop the "my lawyer will beat up his lawyer" chatter.

That about says it all. Thank you.

Also - there can be additional engine problems with a car that rolls and remains for any time on it's roof.

Let's just say the engine, hot oil, transmission fluid, etc where not meant to be held upside down for any length of time.

My advice - fix the car - sell the car - take all the money - pay off some bills - go back to school or get some job training - smile all the time - follow the golden rule - work harder then anyone else you know - be reliable - when you meet the right girl clean house and put all your eggs in one basket - and strive to be the best at something and then in about 10 years you will have a new "whatever" and we will all be borrowing money from you.

Good luck to you Brian. I really am sorry this has happened but this may end up being the best thing that ever happened to you. There is no such thing as an easy buck or an overnight success.

Peace out.

matteni said:

My advice - fix the car - sell the car - take all the money - pay off some bills - go back to school or get some job training - smile all the time - follow the golden rule - work harder then anyone else you know - be reliable - when you meet the right girl clean house and put all your eggs in one basket - and strive to be the best at something and then in about 10 years you will have a new "whatever" and we will all be borrowing money from you.

Dad...??

well there in came the flamers...Yes, when i bought the car I was satisfied because i was only made aware of the front bumper, door damage. My mechanic LOOKED for the sticker and it was not there (at least now he mentions that :rolleyes:) and according to my adjuster, the dealer had to make me aware that the car was in a rollover collision. As a dealer, he has access to insurance databases and also has access to teh car's history. THe car now has a clean title, but it's not washed because my carfax showed the accident history

Brian2by2 said:
[BTHe car now has a clean title, but it's not washed because my carfax showed the accident history [/B]

That is exactly what your title is, washed. There are a few states that can take a previous salvage titled car and through whatever legal means their state law permits clean or wash the title so the state can now issue a clean (Non Salvage title). If you have a clean title to a car that was previously salvaged you have a wahsed title. The carfax will show the previous salvage. Used car dealers hope that most buyers will not run a carfax or check the car history and thus miss the previous salvage.

Another question I have is what exactly does that "Sticker" mean? Is it required for all salvage titled cars in your state or just cars that had a roll over?

Last edited:
Ya, thats my S2000 post...

Another question I have is what exactly does that "Sticker" mean? Is it required for all salvage titled cars in your state or just cars that had a roll over?

The sticker is required on all rebuilt cars, not matter what the current title is. It is a federal offense not to have that sticker (according to my insurance claims adjuster). I'm not sure how severe the penalty is but he is directly responsible as a dealer for making sure this sticker is on. No matter if it came w/o one or with.

As far as the s2ki post goes, most of you are probably under the impression that I cannot afford to fix my car or anything. That is clearly not the case. Insurance is covering the accident and i'm covering the $3,000 worth of maintence the car requires. No big deal. I do enjoy the car, but I would NOT have purchased it if I had known that it had been ROLLED and not just "salvaged due to a few panels" as the dealer assured me (and my mechanic that was on hand).

I'm not sure if I have a case. I'm not even sure if i want a case. I'd be happy with the $6k-$8k that I overspent on this veichle. I just know that if i don't do anything about it, come time to get a new car (viper or not) I will regret it.

Hopefully all goes well with my finances and I can keep the NSX as a daily driver and afford myself either a Viper or a T-Rex as a weekend car. I don't know.

Thank you guys for being so incredibly helpful!!! As soon as I get my car I will make available my VIN #'s to you guys. I will also make available the Dealer's name because apparently they deal quite a few NSX's and I would hate for another buyer to be as misguided as I was.

Brian2by2 said:
I'm not sure if I have a case. I'm not even sure if i want a case. I'd be happy with the $6k-$8k that I overspent on this veichle. I just know that if i don't do anything about it, come time to get a new car (viper or not) I will regret it.

Hopefully all goes well with my finances and I can keep the NSX as a daily driver and afford myself either a Viper or a T-Rex as a weekend car. I don't know.

:rolleyes:

I will post the VIN as soon as I get in my car again :) Title is in my safety deposit box and the car is in the shop

I am going to send my sister by the dealership monday to check out a few cars: E55, GS430, another NSX and an AMG SUV...have her check and see if they have that "sticker" and if he reveals all information about hte accident, just to see if maybe I did actually miss something (which im pretty sure i haven't)...

we'll see. I need to find out from a lawyer what the fine is for removing that decal ordeal...

Aiken Drum said:
I'm sure you realize this now, but never, ever trust any paperwork a seller gives you, just like you'd get an independent appraisal for jewelry rather than take the jeweler's word on its worth.

In fact, if a seller SHOWS you a CarFax, it's probably a very good indicator that there's something wrong, because any honorable seller is going to assume you will do the CarFax yourself and get the results you expect.

I'd even be leery of someone taking me inside their house, typing "www.carfax.com" into their browser, and showing me the online result, because it's damned easy to edit your hosts file to point at a hacked mirror of the carfax server.

Buyer beware...

This is excellent advice. Always do your homework...

If I dealt with a shady dealer like that, I'd submit some negative comments to the BBB...

Back