• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

how about nsx with rebuilt engines

I found a 96 NSX with 85k miles on the car but the enigne has been completely rebuilt with all new belts and hoses with 1,000 miles on the engine.

Is this a good thing?

I havent heard of too many Nsx's out there with blown/broken motors in the first place, so it makes me wonder what happened to this car in the first place.

Otherwise, if the car is in good shape, and you have confidence in the place that rebuilt the motor, it can be just as good, maybe even better then the 9 year old, 85k motor that was originally in there.

veilstylez said:
I found a 96 NSX with 85k miles on the car but the enigne has been completely rebuilt with all new belts and hoses with 1,000 miles on the engine.

Is this a good thing?

Probably stating the obvious here, but: rebuilt and belts/hoses changed are 2 different things. Belts and hoses is a good thing. Completely rebuilt may also be, but I would want to know more about any failure and repair. JMO.

"the enigne has been completely rebuilt"

Rebuilt by who? "Carl" at the small engine shop? or Acura?
MmHmmmhgh.

it really comes down to "WHO" repaired it? any warrantys? etc... :wink:

There are "rebuilds" and there are rebuilds. Need a lot more info on what was rebuild to give and honest opinion.

NSXSOON said:
There are "rebuilds" and there are rebuilds. Need a lot more info on what was rebuild to give and honest opinion.

I think he said the whole engine....from bottom end and up. New pistons new everything....i think the previous owner blew it.

You need to disregard anything that was "said" to be done and request receipts. Then you could evaluate the competence of the mechanic involved. Without sound evidence of what was done, I would stay clear of any car with an alleged rebuild.

I have to chime in on this.
My car had the infamous BBSC that blew the motor shortly after is was installed by MB himself.
I have receipts for the repair and it was done by a Master NSX tech that has his own shop and repaired lots of current owners cars due to various reasons, including the same fate as my own. It has got about 15k on the motor since it has been finished.
That having been said, should someone shy away due to that reason alone? I don't think so because since the body is extremely well cared for condition and it has a fresh motor in it, OEM clutch, and all the updated maintenance parts, it should be maintenance free for a 3-4 more years.

I think my buddy looked this same car! If it is the same, since I don't think there are that many 96 NSX's out there for sale right now with rebuilt motors, I've heard the car also was stolen leading to a salvage title. It also has new interior components such as seats, etc. I personally would stay away from a stolen car that needed a new motor, especially an NSX! Just my $.02. But my buddy did say he had bought an Integra GSR from the guy in the past and it worked out okay...but I also know he (my buddy) blew the motor up in that car.

yeah...THANKS~ damn..its hard looking for a NSX

surferX said:
I think my buddy looked this same car! If it is the same, since I don't think there are that many 96 NSX's out there for sale right now with rebuilt motors, I've heard the car also was stolen leading to a salvage title. It also has new interior components such as seats, etc. I personally would stay away from a stolen car that needed a new motor, especially an NSX! Just my $.02. But my buddy did say he had bought an Integra GSR from the guy in the past and it worked out okay...but I also know he (my buddy) blew the motor up in that car.

Back