• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How are aftermarket CARB cats installed?

I was wondering how the aftermarket CARB cats (such as magnaflow and flowmaster) mount on the car. They don't have flanges on them. Do I take the old cats to a muffler shop and have them cut and re-weld the flanges onto the new cats? Or is there another way? I also see a bolt-on aftermarket cat from DEC, but I can only find one side in stock.

-- Joe

I was under the impression that there is no such thing as aftermarket carb approved cats.

After much searching and several cancelled purchases, it appears most of the bolt-on (direct-fit) CARB cat options are not CA smog legal anymore. Several shops pointed me back to either the magnaflow or walker weld-on cats as the only CA options.

Does anyone know if there is enough room between the 91-94 flanges to fit the magnaflows? The 332304/332305 bodies are listed as 11" long, which seems kind of tight with that 90 deg bend. The last thing I want is for a smog shop to take a sawzall to the tubi to make it fit... Or perhaps the walker ones would be a better match (albeit with a 2" inlet)?

Any suggestions or comments?

-- Joe

Back