• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How does the NSX compare to the 911?

Hey everyone,

Newbie here... I'm curious to know what people think of the 1G NSX vs say the 997tt or 991S.

I've been in the hunt for a 911 for a while... main thing scaring me off is the high maintenance costs of the 911. From catastrophic IMS or cylinder crackings of the 996/997.1s to coolant pipe, transmission rebuilds/engine failure from over revs/etc, RMS leak, IMS failure from new IMS bearings,... Receipts totaling $30-40k in books size of large college science books seem to be the norm. The occasional $7-8k repair bill seem to be the norm as well! Plus I'm beginning to notice that many 911s change owners quite often, some every few months to 1-2 years...

Thought briefly of the Ferrari 360, but maintenance issues seem even more so than that of the Porsche :eek:

So at suggestion of the wife, now I'm thinking of the NSX. Current 2010 TL 6MT owner, also previously owned a TSX/Accord. My TL hasn't been the most reliable (transmission rebuilt due to 2nd gear popout, new engine at 59k miles due to valve damage from excessive oil consumption).

What could one expect in terms of maintenance from, say a 2001 NSX Targa MT? How does the NSX compare to the 911? Has anyone driven or owned both? Do most NSX owners hang on to their cars for a lengthy period of time?

Thanks!

What could one expect in terms of maintenance from, say a 2001 NSX Targa MT? How does the NSX compare to the 911? Has anyone driven or owned both? Do most NSX owners hang on to their cars for a lengthy period of time?

Thanks!

I will let someone who actually owns a 911 chime in, but my guess is that the key answer will be "its slower". I have been out driving with 911s and I can generally keep pace on spirited drives because quite frankly you just can't go that fast on public roads. By "keep pace", I mean not be embarrassed, but by no means am I going toe to toe with the 911s I have been out and about with. If you drive it properly, the NSX has pretty decent 30-90MPH speed and the more powerful cars tend not to really outpace the car until you get over 110.

As for your other questions:

Maintenance will vary depending on the ownership history and vehicle condition. I spent several thousand dollars after the purchase of my car doing a "10 year service" which covered a LOT of elements that were good to fix. I combo'd it with a timing belt/water pump and just went ahead and got a lot of little things all done at the same time. It was a painful bill, but I haven't had any problems with the car since so I really have nothing to complain about.

2001s (and other popup NA2s) tend not to come up very often as they are often cars purchased by people who have had an earlier car and decided they wanted the 6spd. 2001s in particular are the lowest production year of all NSXs - so finding that *exact* year is tricky. The are no differences that I can think of between a 2000 and a 2001 though, so you can widen your search a little. Differences between a 1997-1999 and a 2001 are also fairly minimal. To answer your question though - yes, most NSX owners hang on to their car for a long time - especially later model owners. I know that I am not interested in selling my car other than for ludicrous money (who can say no to ludicrous money?)

I have been long time owner of NSX's and 911's. (currently have 996 C4S and 997.2 and NSX) Both are great sports cars but there is a big difference in feel. NSX is a classic. 997 and 991 are both more modern being designed in different decades. Here is a flawless example of the 2001 for sale.http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...-Silver-Black-6-Speed-23968-JH4NA21641T000115. :wink: if you are getting a 991 or 997.2. the maintenance cost will be very low. Even the 996/997 IMS issue only affects 2-4% of the vehicle. It is not a deal breaker imho. If the thought of expensive maintenance or repairs worries you. Maybe a new 991.2 with full warranty should be considered.

Here is my personal opinion on the NSX vs. 911.

NSX has feels airy/better outward visibility as the owner's are all very aware. the driving position is perfect, Gear box shifts like butter. Analog feel of a proper sports car. Very expensive to mod properly. CTSC =10k. This is the king of Japanese sports car IMO.

996 C4s. Cozy feel in the cabin. I feel like it's a perfect fit for me, since I'm short. (6 ft+ ppl have mention the car being a little tight) The AWD handle all weather/high speed perfectly. It is my DD. (tiptronic s)

997.2. Classic styling cues and with PDK/Sports Chrono pkg. makes it the perfect modern sports car. All modern features and tons of aftermarket support. Same cozy feel in the cabin. In stock form will be a much faster car than the any stock NA2 NSX. 997.2 TT will be in a diff. league in speed than most highly modified NSX. Only a select few NSX's can keep up and none will have the same reliability of the stock 997.2 TT.

991 is a larger vehicle with more spacious cabin, up to date in all modern gadgets. Highly capable sports car. Very pricy when spec'ed to your wishes. 991S is a highly capable machine that can match the early gen. GT3's ring times. Great DD.

Once you become a owner of either car. PCA offers more activities than the NSXCA. Both groups have very loyal and dedicated/educated owners.

my advice to you would be to buy the car that gives you the 'skip a beat' feel when you drive it. Life is short. if either don't work out. You can always try the other one. I love them all and they all give me the same feel when I drive them.

Last edited:
I agree with the comments about lightness and airiness. Current crash regs mean cars are heavier and have thicker a and c pillars. So, while there are many, many cars that are faster, none have the feel of the NSX due to the increased mass they are carrying.

It's kind of like '90's BMW's vs. modern BMW's. The modern cars are much faster, but they can't capture the feel of those lighter earlier-generation cars.

My last Porsche was an '88 Carrera, not the later generations you're considering. But a few comments anyway :->

One of the things I much prefer in the NSX is the transmission, shifts like a race car. The 911 had the later G50 transmission but it still couldn't measure up to the X. In all fairness the X has an SOS-remanufactured tranny so maybe not a fair comparison.

Another preference is the AC system. I did a major rebuild and upgrade of the 911's AC and it still couldn't keep up. Lots of money and time and a big disappointment. The X's AC is great by comparison.

The only thing I really don't like about the X is the way the doors are designed, built and function. The 911 had a very solid "bank vault" feel when you closed them. Part of that is because they're shorter doors and the windows are framed. Just a great feel and sound when they were opened or closed. The X doors feel like a clapped-out Camaro by comparison. However I doubt that the newer 911s have that same feel.

I've also been considering moving back to a P-car. Looking at 996s and not real concerned about the IMS/RMS issues. Like EIFFEL said, it's a more rare problem than most think, and they're priced right so you get that work done as a preventative measure, and still not be upside down.

pm Hothonda he has experience with both....

the Porsches you're considering are far superior cars in probably every way, especially in performance. and i'd say they're easier to live with as a daily driver also.

but the NSX is definitely a rare and classic machine, and there's something to be said about that. it's very appreciated by most enthusiasts, and here in L.A. every third car on the road is a Cayman or 911 of some sort. i definitely prefer having a unique car, if i wanted to fit in with this state i'd drive a Prius...

p.s. as an added bonus, most (stock) NSX's gain value every year you own them. :cool:

I agree 100% with Wavay1.........I've driven a couple Porsches. There great cars. Powerful, fast with amazing brakes......but the one thing that I really did not like was the shift feel. Its not bad but is not as nice and smooth as the NSX. The NSX shifter feels amazing. I drove a twin turbo S once and it was a beast but the same complaint about the shifter. I also agree that for a daily driver part. Porsches are easier to get into and some more comfortable, but how many Porsches do you see on the highway compared to a NSX. The Porsche 911 is faster and brakes better but the NSX is more fun to drive and much more exotic.

Appreciate the responses so far, good to hear opinions on both sides.

My main concerns with the 911 is the staggering repair costs, esp the turbos, which seem to place greater stress on the engine/transmission. Dedicated Porsche shops are a necessity... something goes wrong and boom, you're out $7-10k EASILY. A few over revs and the engine gets labeled by Porsche as "probable to eminent destruction." A friend of mine has a 2007 997tt and he had to rebuild his engine due to a cracked rod; cost him $30k and multiple trips to the shop. My 911 research suggests to budget $2-3k/year for maintenance plus be prepared to fork over the occasional $5-6k repair bill. Not to say all 911s will have said repair costs, but it seems common enough to warrant 3rd party warranty when possible.

The 997.2/991s seem more reliable, but are still pretty new and more time is needed to say what else can go wrong... plus there's more room to depreciate. However no question about it, the 911 is a great driver's car.

So enter the NSX, Japanese Honda engineering and reliability; I'm a big fan of Japanese engineering and the targa; NSX prices seem to have hit rock bottom few years ago and are appreciating. There's a local 03 NSX w/40k miles I'm going to try to take a look at this week; guy is asking $79k! There's also a 99 NSX w/a SC I'm going to inquire about...

.. something goes wrong and boom, you're out $7-10k EASILY.

7-10K would be a VERY unusual bill for a NSX. You might pay that over now and then for large problems, but most likely owners would only see an expense like that once every 5-10 years.

On newer NSXs I really can't think of anything that can go wrong that would cause a $7-10k+ bill. Probably $5k every 3-5yrs max and that's stretching it (I.e. dealer pricing). If your modding the NSX outside say a CTSC then all bets are off.

Back to the comparisons... In a nutshell, those Porsches you mentioned are better in every measurable way but the NSX is better in ways that cannot be measured.

As a pure DD, I'd pick a 911. Especially in a city like LA, no one will give a 911 a second look. You will blend right in.

On newer NSXs I really can't think of anything that can go wrong that would cause a $7-10k+ bill. Probably $5k every 3-5yrs max and that's stretching it (I.e. dealer pricing). If your modding the NSX outside say a CTSC then all bets are off.

My base CTSC required an engine rebuild for pulling the head bolts out of the block. While perhaps not common, it's my recollection that other NA2 engines have failed the same way, even without FI. But with that caveat, I agree with Regan's statement.

[with a 911] You will blend right in.

That's why I bought another NSX when I ruined my original one.

Ah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder Jason. The 3.2L block is a bit less bullet proof and you do hear of heads lifting on occasion among others too. Unfortunately, I do think that is a smaller minority. [MENTION=24308]LMR[/MENTION] might have some words to share on this topic too. Perhaps even [MENTION=25419]Valhalla[/MENTION] as well. Both drive their NA2s quote often with LMR's being a DD.

Man... I just recalled that whole ordeal Jason. That was awful to read thru as we all felt it too! Seems like that's long gone though and you've been enjoying the car quite a bit :)

I owned both a 2004 996TT X50 and a 1994 NSX at the same. Both cars were extremely different from each other. Service costs were about the same, however there are a lot more places to source Porsche parts than there are for the NSX. Everyone bashes the feel of the shift linkage in the Porsche. Well, for $300 you can buy a B&M short shift kit that makes the fell very close to the NSX. I liked having a little more interior room with Porsche and semi usable back seats for small kids.

I don't own either vehicle anymore, however if I were in the markett again, I'd choose the 996TT over an NSX. It's brutally fast, stops better, has more interior room, and modern creature comforts. I loved my NSX, but it is a dated car compared to the 911 which evolves every three to five years. However, the exclusivity of owning an NSX rivals the 911. So if you want exclusivity, go for the NSX.

Both cars are easy to live with. At the end of the day it comes down to which car you prefer to see in your garage. Take my advice for the $0.00 it's worth, because I now have a Lotus Esprit which has been just as reliable as my NSX and TT were. :D

I've had both but the 911T I had was a '91! It was fun but the newer ones are way more civilized.

As to the NSX, I've had two. A '97 that did pull two head bolts on a mild FI platform. LMR just had to have his motor pulled as he had one rear head bolt let go too. From my experience, the NA2 3.2 liter motor is a little more fragile but with timeserts, you will have no problem going forward. Good luck.

If your wife suggested an NSX... she is a keeper in my opinion!!!!

She finally caved in after seeing my obsession hunt for my mid life crisis sports car. She's a fan of Japanese engineering :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder Jason. The 3.2L block is a bit less bullet proof and you do hear of heads lifting on occasion among others too. Unfortunately, I do think that is a smaller minority. @LMR might have some words to share on this topic too. Perhaps even @Valhalla as well. Both drive their NA2s quote often with LMR's being a DD.

Man... I just recalled that whole ordeal Jason. That was awful to read thru as we all felt it too! Seems like that's long gone though and you've been enjoying the car quite a bit :)

So is the 3.0L is more reliable than the 3.2L? Sorry to hear that some members w/3.2 have had to go through an engine rebuild. I needed a new engine with my 2010 3.7L V6 TL, but it was covered under warranty. Without the warranty it would have been $15k!

My brief research led me to think that the Comptech SC is reliable, until now. The one with SC I'm inquiring about is here: http://www.exclusiveautoexchange.com/detail-1999-acura-nsx-targa-used-13799077.html Seems like a good deal, is the reliability not there?

I like the Targa top, and I like the pop up headlights; manual transmission is a must. For reliability, would you then recommend MY 95-96? I also want as much reliable power as possible. So I still stick with the 3.0L block? Or find a NA 3.2L and hope for the best?

Ah, that's right. Thanks for the reminder Jason. The 3.2L block is a bit less bullet proof and you do hear of heads lifting on occasion among others too. Unfortunately, I do think that is a smaller minority. @LMR might have some words to share on this topic too. Perhaps even @Valhalla as well. Both drive their NA2s quote often with LMR's being a DD.

So is the 3.0L is more reliable than the 3.2L? Sorry to hear that some members w/3.2 have had to go through an engine rebuild. I needed a new engine with my 2010 3.7L V6 TL, but it was covered under warranty. Without the warranty it would have been $15k!

My brief research led me to think that the Comptech SC is reliable, until now. The one with SC I'm inquiring about is here: http://www.exclusiveautoexchange.com/detail-1999-acura-nsx-targa-used-13799077.html Seems like a good deal, is the reliability not there?

I like the Targa top, and I like the pop up headlights; manual transmission is a must. For reliability, would you then recommend MY 95-96? I also want as much reliable power as possible. So I still stick with the 3.0L block? Or find a NA 3.2L and hope for the best?

I've had both but the 911T I had was a '91! It was fun but the newer ones are way more civilized.

As to the NSX, I've had two. A '97 that did pull two head bolts on a mild FI platform. LMR just had to have his motor pulled as he had one rear head bolt let go too. From my experience, the NA2 3.2 liter motor is a little more fragile but with timeserts, you will have no problem going forward. Good luck.
With that said, i'm sure if you ran the numbers the percentage of failure is statistically very small. Probably like the IMS issue on 911s. $0.02.

If your wife suggested an NSX... she is a keeper in my opinion!!!!

:biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

What are "timeserts?"

I own a 2002 911 Turbo and a 1999 NSX. I recently just drove both cars back to back as I had to drive to a local State Farm agency to have pics taken of both of them. The NSX is great but not very powerful. It doesnt feel underpowered due to its light weight nature but certainly no 1/4 mile monster. The Turbo is a beast, super fast and just overall amazing. Does everything you can think of and more. The car pulls hard in every gear.

Im not sure where you are getting the 911 horror stories from, but its a known fact that the Metzger Turbo engine is bullet proof and really doesnt have any inherent issues. Cant go wrong with either one.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in a car? Speed, style, track-ability, sunday driver or daily driver?

I own a 2002 911 Turbo and a 1999 NSX. I recently just drove both cars back to back as I had to drive to a local State Farm agency to have pics taken of both of them. The NSX is great but not very powerful. It doesnt feel underpowered due to its light weight nature but certainly no 1/4 mile monster. The Turbo is a beast, super fast and just overall amazing. Does everything you can think of and more. The car pulls hard in every gear.

Im not sure where you are getting the 911 horror stories from, but its a known fact that the Metzger Turbo engine is bullet proof and really doesnt have any inherent issues. Cant go wrong with either one.

Out of curiosity, what are you looking for in a car? Speed, style, track-ability, sunday driver or daily driver?

This would be my 3rd car. I have a TL 6MT that I am thinking of trading in for a SUV like a 4Runner.

I'm looking for something fun, fast, style, and looks nice, something I can keep for a long time without worrying about it breaking down or being stuck with a $7k repair bill.

Back