How fast have you driven in the rain?

Please mention:

1. Speed
2. Tire used
3. Additional car set up
4. Your experience at the speed (ie. car loosing grip etc)

Mine
1. 70-80mph
2. 205/45/16 Pirelli Dragon, 255/40/17 irelli Dragon
3. 02 front mod, 02 R hood, 02 valance, the rest is stock
4. My shock is going bad so that is the speed I am confident to drive during on the wet road.

Jin1976 said:
Please mention:

1. Speed
2. Tire used
3. Additional car set up

Mine
1. 70-80mph
4. My shock is going bad so that is the speed I am confident to drive during on the wet road.
--------------------------------------------------------
I don't drive my NSX in the rain!!!!

:eek: Rain in Brunei??!! Where's this world going to?

But seriously this question won't lead you very far. Rain itself is no problem, but the amount of water on the street - and this amount limits your speed. I can tell you so far that I drove more than 200 km/h on wet tracks with both Bridgestone SO-02 PP and S03 without any problems on the straights but I experienced some serious stabilty problems with Michelin MXX3 in former times at way lower speeds.

And of course it's necessary to know the depth of the profile - is the tire new or half worn or completely worn?

So you should be more precise about the condition you want infos for.

I have driven track events on OEM Yok's in the rain. They exhibited VERY good handling characteristicsall day up to speeds of around 115 mph. Braking was suprisingly straight and true, and turn-in and cornering were secure and predictable. YMMV

Gotta love those Yok's! :biggrin:

ChopsJazz said:
I have driven track events on OEM Yok's in the rain.
Gotta love those Yok's! :biggrin:
Good that you mention the Yokos, I forgot to write that I made the best wet track experiences (of course) with Yokohama A 006 rain tires. It's unbelievable how fast you can be with them in corners with standing water without loosing control - no street tire can be compared with them.

Downsides: They are of course not street legal and they wear very fast in dry or half dry conditions - although it was a lot of fun to drive them on dry track at the end of their lifespan - altered the NSX into a very predictable drift monster :biggrin:

Eventhough I predict this thread will go downhill quickly.....I will answer. :)

110 mph....factory Yoko A-022's. Everything was fine until a puddle in the road, then the hydroplane was very obvious. ;)

About 175. A little less in some and more in others,but that was in Boeing 737-200,-300,-800, 757, 767-200,-300,-400. With suprisingly little tread on Goodyears(usually retreads at that).
Sulley
Helping the thread on that downhill path.

Sulley said:
About 175. A little less in some and more in others,but that was in Boeing 737-200,-300,-800, 757, 767-200,-300,-400. With suprisingly little tread on Goodyears(usually retreads at that).
Wasn't this Airbus at Toronto slightly ("slidely") faster on wet runway the other day? :wink:

Last edited:
How about with snow on the road? I know it was not the question but I need to throw this into the thread.

1990 in Columbus Ohio heading east on on 270 between Cleveland ave and Westerville road. 5" to 6" of fresh unplowed snow on the road about 11:00 pm no other cars on my side of the road or the opposite side (It was only me that was going to die if I went off).

1. 100 mph
2. What ever was stock on a 1990 Buick Century
3. Trunk was loaded with literature
4. Very loose and VERY SCARY!

I will never do it again but I had to do it at least once.

In the rain? Several times past 100 but don't recall all the specifics. Most likely the first was around 1979 in a 1978 big block Trans Am while still in High School.

Jin1976 said:
Please mention:

1. Speed
2. Tire used
3. Additional car set up

Mine
1. 70-80mph
i asked this question on a BMW list once. most comments were of the "only an idiot would drive fast in the rain". consumer reports has a test of how well different tires do in the rain. but when you are hydroplaning at 70 MPH ont the freeway you are a danger to everyone.

Back