• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How hard can you run the NSX?

I am the recent proud owner of a '91 nsx. My good friend accomponied me for a ride last week; and complained that I drove the car like a "bit...." He owned an nsx from 95-01, and claimed he red-lined it at least 3x a day. He claims the car was engineered and designed to run @ hi-rpms.

If I continously run the car @ 4000-7000 rpms; would that significantly reduce the life of the engine? I previously owned a supercharged saleen and seldomly ran it hard, because the internals of the engine were made of crap. Is the nsx an exception?

Thanks...

speedyizzy said:
If I continously run the car @ 4000-7000 rpms; would that significantly reduce the life of the engine?
No.

However, it will consume more gasoline.

speedyizzy said:
I previously owned a supercharged saleen and seldomly ran it hard, because the internals of the engine were made of crap. Is the nsx an exception?
No, the Saleen is the exception. :D

I think I run mine pretty hard. Redlines and sits at 5-6k when I want to hear some noise and a quick jolt to redline. Not to mention "dropping the hammer" for no reason!!

Even though gas is way above $2 a gal, if I worried about it I would be driving a Geo Metro.. :D

Even though gas is way above $2 a gal, if I worried about it I would be driving a Geo Metro..

Yeah, think about how many times we put ourselves a "reasonable", mature group of... I will do the same everyday, this minute at the dinner table, I got all red and complaining about how expensive gas is... Next Minute I remote started the car for 5 minutes to get everything warm, as soon as I got into it, I step on the happy pedal and forget about everythings... :rolleyes:

5inchfatlip said:
Even though gas is way above $2 a gal, if I worried about it I would be driving a Geo Metro.. :D

HEY!!! You should have said "Insight" The next generation Insight has an even lower drag coefficient rating, and a more efficient motors to get in the 90's for mpg!! :eek:

doesn't redlining (7000-8000rpm) constantly cause more wear on your engine compared to driving normally (shifting at 3000rpm)?

I drive easy on my NSX - I think I hit redline once since I got the car & that was just to test it out.

in the long run the car that takes 8000rpm everyday will have a lower compression reading? right? i dunno??? any input?

Fleet mileage 43.5mpg

My matching pair

Insight - 65 mpg

NSX - 22 mpg.

Fleet avg - 43.5

(actually more since I drive the Insight a bit more) :D

sisters.jpg

nsxexotic said:
I drive easy on my NSX - I think I hit redline once since I got the car & that was just to test it out.
Then you're really missing out on the car's capabilities. What gives the NSX its maximum acceleration is the ability to maintain the same torque into very high revs. Of course, you won't necessarily want to use that maximum acceleration at all times - maybe not in everyday commuting or long-distance highway cruising. But when you're on a spirited drive (or a racetrack event), don't be afraid to take it to redline all day long.

The NSX was designed to be driven hard (but not abused). While I don't push to red line all the time, I do it at least once ever time I take the car out. I spoke with the service manager at the dealership about it and he told me the NSX can be driven hard with no problems (except wearing out tires). He said it was really designed for that unlike the integra type-r which really wasn't. I don't recommend running to red line all the time but I do recommend do it at times to so you can really enjoy the capabilities of the car.

There are two major issues here, each already covered to a degree, but I’ll try to sum it up. The engine is certainly built to handle 8000 RPM as often as you care to go there and as long as even makes sense to stay there. That is as it should be and has been unequivocally proven countless times. So, reving to 8k before shifting will not “break” anything and should not be considered abuse.

The second issue is accelerated wear. The answer to that is Yes, it certainly will shorten the healthy life of the engine. When you boil it down, the number of miles on your engine are really just cumulative revolutions at various loads and temperatures. As the pistons and valves go up and down, they wear. So if your engine runs at a higher average RPM it is similar (not identical) to more miles where the engine is concerned. (BTW, this is one of the hidden costs of changing to shorter gears and R&P.) Of course the NSX already probably lives at a higher average RPM than many engines and does just fine into old age, which is a credit to the quality of parts and tolerances of assembly. But more RPM still means more wear. Does that alter my driving habits? Not a chance, I bought it to enjoy the ride, not to look cool.

Like sjs said the motor was built to run at high rpms but of course 8000rpms wears out main bearings faster than 3000rpms. It's just a fact. But the engine was designed such that you can use the range of power on the car and not significantly reduce the life of the engine had you driven at say 3-5k all day. Things like the lightweight rods and well balanced rotating assembly ensure that you can redline it with safety.

I find most people reduce their engine life significantly especially on DOHC VTEC engines by not paying attention to their oil. most VTEC engines burn oil as a result of the VTEC mechanism and some other factors and you should always be watching the oil levels. Running low on oil even if it's just 1L and high revving all the time will have an impact on the motor. Oil is your best friend and worst enemy with VTEC motors. However I don't know if NSX owners have the same oil burning issues as H-series and b-series people. Some burn more than others.

red_MM_nsx said:
He said it was really designed for that unlike the integra type-r which really wasn't.
I disagree with that part. The Integra Type R, like the NSX, can be run up close to redline all day long.

Originally posted by satan_srv
I find most people reduce their engine life significantly especially on DOHC VTEC engines by not paying attention to their oil. most VTEC engines burn oil as a result of the VTEC mechanism and some other factors and you should always be watching the oil levels. Running low on oil even if it's just 1L and high revving all the time will have an impact on the motor. Oil is your best friend and worst enemy with VTEC motors. However I don't know if NSX owners have the same oil burning issues as H-series and b-series people. Some burn more than others.
It's definitely a good idea to keep an eye on the oil level. However, the NSX engines (C30A and C32A) do not usually consume any significant amounts of oil, and in that respect are indeed different from the Integra Type R engine (B18C5).

satan_srv said:
The H22a1 and 4 is just as bad. I made it a habit to check oil everytime I bought gas.

I have a 98 prelude as my daily driver and I know exactly what you're talking about regarding the oil burning issue with the H22 engine.

Happily, my 92 NSX does not seem to lose oil at all.

Dave

So long story short.....it high reving will shorten the life of a engine, but if the fluids are maintained; the impact would not be so significant....right?

nsxtasy[/i] [B]However said:
Or, the owners are different. :)
I have used the scientific method to prove my above statement; it is based on actual test results, holding the driver/owner variable constant, while changing the car/engine variable. :D

Oh, and I should mention that conducting this experiment - particularly the racetrack portions - was a lot of fun. :D :D

Originally posted by speedyizzy
So long story short.....it high reving will shorten the life of a engine, but if the fluids are maintained; the impact would not be so significant....right?
I wouldn't put it that way. Fluids don't have much to do with it; you need to maintain the proper fluid levels regardless of whether you are using the upper end of the revband or not (and if you don't, you could have big problems even if you aren't revving all that high).

Here's how I think of it. Let's say that each engine rev is a measure of how much wear and tear the engine experiences. The question becomes: "How much of the time are you really driving in those upper revs?" I really doubt that most people are driving all their miles in commuting or in long-distance driving in the upper end of the revband (going down the highway at 75 mph in second gear, for example).

So how much of the time do you do it? Let's say that when you are using the upper end of the revband, you are turning the engine three times faster, on average, than when you are not. If you take a 30-mile drive on a twisting road, and drive the car in the lowest gear possible, that means it might have the equivalent engine wear of 90 miles of highway cruising in fifth. But does anyone really use the lowest gears (high revs) all the time, for tens of thousands of miles? I doubt it.

Let's take my own car as an example. I use it mostly for track events, so my engine wear is probably greater than those who don't. I also drive my NSX to and from the track. I've driven my NSX in roughly sixty track events. It has 8717 actual track miles on it, out of 53,647 total miles. Let's assume that almost all of those track miles are in the lowest gear possible (without exceeding redline) at all times, and that almost all of the other miles are in the highest gear possible (without lugging the engine) at all times. (Both are reasonable assumptions, and mostly if not entirely true.) Then the actual track miles count as three times the engine wear of street and highway miles, and my car has the equivalent engine wear of a car that has 71,081 of only street and highway miles, with no high revving. As you can see from this example, even a car that is heavily used primarily on the racetrack may have the equivalent of less than 20,000 additional miles of wear on the engine. And an NSX engine can easily last for ten times that number of miles.

I really doubt that anyone out there has an NSX that has been driven, say, 50K or 100K miles at high revs.

So long story short.....high revving may shorten the life of a engine, but not enough to worry about. So feel free to do it whenever you want the extra acceleration, and enjoy it when you do.

I don't drive my car too often, so I like to drive it hard every chance I get. As long as you change your oil regularly, you should not have any problems. The fun of owning a NSX is to go to 8000RPM to hear the motor screaming (I have to stop I am getting excited).

Rob

Back