• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long does the new car smell last?

My NSX was three years old and had 6,000 miles when I bought it. The new car smell was there for around 8 years but has since gone away.
One time a passenger had been riding a bike before sitting in the car for about 5 minutes. The sweat smell took about a week to go away.
Our Japanese leather doesn't have a smell like other cars.

Originally posted by Tony Montoya:
Our Japanese leather doesn't have a smell like other cars.

I have heard that the Japanese don't like the smell of natural leather, and for that reason, a sealer was applied to the surface of the leather in the NSX to prevent the fragrance. Too bad IMO. When you get into a Lexus, it smells like an upscale shoestore - wonderful.

Try putting some Lexol on the seats. Someone complimented me on the smell of my interior the other day, and that's what I use. I also got some Zymol stuff, but haven't tried it yet.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I also got some Zymol stuff, but haven't tried it yet.

Zymol Treat smells like the banana oil and coconut oil it contains. The fragrance is mild, and not sickly sweet like the artificial versions of those fragrances though - these oils are the real thing. It makes the interior smell nice, but it doesn't make it smell like leather.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 February 2003).]

If you like the leather smell you might want to try Zaino Z10...

http://www.zainobros.com

Two years in the making and already rated number one in the industry. Z-10 Leather in a Bottle? Treatment and Conditioner contains a perfectly balanced, solvent-free blend of special oils and other natural nutritives, which penetrates, softens and preserves the leather. We also added Ultra-Gard? our total UV protector (40) and our exclusive real leather oil concentrate. This feeds and enhances the leather scent, to give your vehicle that great new leather smell. Just wipe on and let dry, no buffing is necessary. It leaves a non-oily, non-greasy, non-sticky, stain repelling, natural luster and restores the warm supple, soft feel, and smell of fine leather. Does a great job on vinyl interiors and dashboards too. One whiff and you will agree its Leather in a Bottle?. This product has no equal in the world.

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 26 February 2003).]

I thought that the leather in our cars, as many others, is treated with a urethane coating to help keep stains from penetrating and soiling the leather. see: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/General/LeatherVinyl.htm
It also says leather conditioner is not absorbed into the material but probably does clean the seats.
Jimbo, I get the impression from your post that you have or had input in the developement of the Zaino product to which you refer. At the very least you seem to like it a lot.
I have used a number of products and it seems that things get oily and nice smelling but never really soft like the Connolly Leather found in Jags. Does the Zaino penetrate this coating and soften the leather or does it create a coating on top that adds a nice patina, texture and aroma?

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 26 February 2003).]

Jimbo, I get the impression from your post that you have or had input in the developement of the Zaino product to which you refer. At the very least you seem to like it a lot.

Why would you say I was involved in the development? I just provided a link and a bit of the text from the site.

No, I just use the product and happen to like it. The leather smell is not overbearing, just a nice pleasant leathery smell.

Just offering suggestions, it's up to everyone to make their own choice.

-Jim

Originally posted by Litesokneecough:
Zymol...Zaino.....oh boy, not again

A search turns up... too many topics to bother posting links for.

[This message has been edited by Forums Nazi (edited 26 February 2003).]

Originally posted by pbassjo:
I have used a number of products and it seems that things get oily and nice smelling but never really soft like the Connolly Leather found in Jags.

The denaturing process of leather tanning removes precious moisture residing in the hide. Many other brands of conditioners are based on solvents, which accelerate aging in leather upholstery and trim. Unlike other brands, Zymol Treat contains beef collagen - the same substance that nature uses to make the leather really soft - as well as those pleasant-smelling natural oils. Zymol Treat Leather Conditioner is a solvent-free, banana-oil and collagen-based feeding product that releases trapped solvents and restores moisture to keep your leather looking, feeling, and smelling like new. It contains only natural ingredients: Beef Collagen, Banana Oil, Lemon Seed Oil,Coconut Oil, Cetyl Esters, Cetyl Cocoamide, Lecithin and Aloe Vera Extract. And what could be better for your leather than the same thing that nature put there in the first place?

treat.jpg

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 26 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Saturn:
are there any over the counter products one can apply to the leather to get the leather smell?

Yes! The above mentioned "Leather in a bottle" from Zaino. I don't know if it protects well or not. I use it for the smell alone. I also use Lexol, but I'm still not clear on the value of using a leather conditioner on our 'sealed' leather. Please.... don't start a zaino/zymol war. The origional question is not about that. If you want the leather smell that your car does not have now, get a bottle and smell it. It smells like leather, not banannas, coconuts, or horse stables. I use it about every two months because the smell does not last, especially with the top off, which is most of the summer. Just my opinion, YMMV

------------------
keep the shiny side up
MikeC 01 #46

Most of the "new car smell" in the NSX and most other cars is from vinyl and other synthetic materials. You can buy "new car smell" spray. If you want your NSX to smell more like new, try that.

If you want your NSX to smell like leather, which is not how they really smell when new, I've seen "leather smell" sprays in some auto parts store... No idea if it really smells like leather or not but maybe worth a try? Or you could just put a couple pairs of new leather shoes behind the seats...

I use Lexol on leather stuff and have had good results. It doesn't smell like anything which is fine with me. If I wanted my car to "smell good" I'd put a fresh loaf of cinnamon bread in it!

You can get that new car smell back by taking a small container such as a baby food jar, punching holes in the lid, squeezing a blob of 3M windshield adhesive into it, and leaving it in your car.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

I use Lexol and really like the results in terms of leather conditioning. However, I LOVE the smell of leather (like when you walk into a leather goods store -- mmmm) and would like to try Zymol if it adds a leather smell to my car. So should I use the Zymol instead of the Lexol or in combination with it? And if in combination, which should I put on first?

One other question, out of curiosity. I have heard a lot of people rave about Zymol. So much so that it makes me wonder if they are incented to do so beyond simply liking the product. Does Zymol give commissions to people to bring in additional sales, or do profit sharing, or anything? Or is it really just happy customers and nothing more?

Chip

------------------
Chip Alexander
'97 Blue/Tan NSX-T with Tubi Exhaust, Italian Horn
'92 Green/Tan Lexus SC400 Coupe
'02 Blue/Tan BMW 325iT Sportwagon

[This message has been edited by calexand (edited 27 February 2003).]

Originally posted by calexand:
I LOVE the smell of leather (like when you walk into a leather goods store -- mmmm) and would like to try Zymol if it adds a leather smell to my car. So should I use the Zymol instead of the Lexol or in combination with it?

Zymol Treat will not make your car smell like leather. It will make your car smell like banana oil and coconut oil. Slightly, not overpoweringly.

Originally posted by calexand:
One other question, out of curiosity. I have heard a lot of people rave about Zymol. So much so that it makes me wonder if they are incented to do so beyond simply liking the product. Does Zymol give commissions to people to bring in additional sales, or do profit sharing, or anything? Or is it really just happy customers and nothing more?

Zymol's customers rave simply because we are satisfied and very happy with the results we get from Zymol products. We do not receive anything from Zymol for using it or passing along our satisfaction with the results.

However, everyone who attended NSXPO each of the past four years received the benefits of Zymol's sponsorship of the event, including lower registration fees resulting from their cash sponsorship, as well as prizes (kits of detailing products) given to every entrant in the concours event. However, I would not recommend one vendor's products over another's solely due to their sponsorship, unless the products themselves were truly superior. I do believe in the superiority of Zymol's products, and had been using them for years even before the NSX was introduced in 1990. The NSX is one of three different cars that I have owned and used Zymol on, which people have mistaken for new when they were in fact ten years old or more.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 27 February 2003).]

Jimbo,
I meant no offense. The text in your post was in the first person: "We also added", "our total UV" and "our exclusive real leather oil" etc..
I thought it was you speaking and could not tell it was text from Zaino's promotional material.
Actually I was hoping you were affiliated with Zaino we and could tap into your inside knowledge and expertise on the properites and characteristics of the seat leather.
I use Color Plus "Soffener" and would not mind finding something even more effective.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 27 February 2003).]

I sat in a new 03' NSX last week and it smelled terrible IMO. I sat in all the other Acura's on the showroom and it did not smell like the others. Kind of like the leather had been burned. I am not an expert on NSX smell but if this was normal - I would keep the windows down and use anything to get rid of that smell IMO.

Russ said:
You can get that new car smell back by taking a small container such as a baby food jar, punching holes in the lid, squeezing a blob of 3M windshield adhesive into it, and leaving it in your car.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but when I searched for a product to get the new car smell-this came up.

I honestly hope this is a joke? Sounds like something you'd hear in High school, sniffing markers or glue. :biggrin:

As a patriotic American I am quite familiar with the "new-car smell" all new cars seem to have. What causes that smell, and are there any recorded incidents of dealers or manufacturers spritzing a car with an extra touch of that smell to entice buyers? --Robert Crawford, San Antonio, Texas

Read the reply here. Pretty interesting.

Last edited:
Vizal said:
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but when I searched for a product to get the new car smell-this came up.

I honestly hope this is a joke? Sounds like something you'd hear in High school, sniffing markers or glue. :biggrin:

Read the reply here. Pretty interesting.

I have heard of dealers doing this to put the new car smell back into an old car. So I don't think it's a joke.

Back