• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How long should shocks and springs last? Getting more and more rub on front fenders.

Any recomendations for a dealer who sells bilsteins cheap?

I tried to order new Eibach springs last week and was told I would have to wait 8 weeks due to backorder. Ugh. Now I have to find a solution before NSXPO in October.

Larry B just installed my Bilsteins, my shocks were the OEM's on an 02 with 70,000 miles. You don't realize how time alone will degrade the shocks, not to mention miles. My GT shocks were leaking fluid when I bought the car, it had only 3,000 miles on it. Replaced the shocks, and drive the car, no more problems. I had the Bilsteins put on the lower perch, got a great wheel alignment, and like I told Larry, it feels fantastic.

Larry B just installed my Bilsteins, my shocks were the OEM's on an 02 with 70,000 miles. You don't realize how time alone will degrade the shocks, not to mention miles. My GT shocks were leaking fluid when I bought the car, it had only 3,000 miles on it. Replaced the shocks, and drive the car, no more problems. I had the Bilsteins put on the lower perch, got a great wheel alignment, and like I told Larry, it feels fantastic.
Save your receipt. Bilsteins come with a lifetime warranty to the original purchaser, so if anything happens - even 10+ years from now - they'll replace them with new ones.

Since a lot of you have said Eibach's sag, any experience with H&R Sports on Bilsteins?

I did that same swap, OEM shocks for Bilsteins, keeping the springs and the rest of the suspension stock. I thought it compared very well. In terms of handling, the Bilsteins handled much better than the OEM shocks, but keep in mind my OEM shocks were old and had gotten quite a workout. I think the Bilsteins handled with the same crispness as the OEM shocks when the latter were brand new. As for ride comfort, the Bilsteins offer similar ride comfort to the stock shocks (again, when new); they're very comfortable around town and on the highway, and when you're screaming through turns, they firm up nicely. That's why that's such a great combination.
Did you use the lower perch when you had the Bilsteins installed?

I did that same swap, OEM shocks for Bilsteins, keeping the springs and the rest of the suspension stock. I thought it compared very well. In terms of handling, the Bilsteins handled much better than the OEM shocks, but keep in mind my OEM shocks were old and had gotten quite a workout. I think the Bilsteins handled with the same crispness as the OEM shocks when the latter were brand new. As for ride comfort, the Bilsteins offer similar ride comfort to the stock shocks (again, when new); they're very comfortable around town and on the highway, and when you're screaming through turns, they firm up nicely. That's why that's such a great combination.
On a stock Na2 car, all stock, would you recommend changing shocks at 50k miles?

I have not driven another NSX so I have nothing to compare to

can't hurt..also all those years..

I think you will feel a difference, If they are truly just a month old

They truly are, as I was there when he installed them

Maybe 400
miles if that
Keep in mind the Bils are valved stiffer than the OEM suspension, so they will feel firmer even compared to a brand new OEM.

This is a very timely thread. I've not shopped for NSX shocks yet but am now going to pick up some Bilsteins for my car's trip to the maintenance spa after 10 years of pleasureship ownership. Have one front strut leaking so would replace the 2 fronts, if not all 4.

Unlike tires where there are at least some options across a given brand, it looks like Bilstein offers only one type for my year (93), the B6? (at least, according to what Tire Rack says). I haven't looked anywhere else yet. For your everyday Joe Schmoe NSX owner who doesn't track, are the B6's the go-to replacement for OEM typically?

Thank you

Would you recommend the Billies, OEM, or something else?
Let me know if you find any OEM's. I was told I bought the last, if not one of the last, single front shock available in North America from Tim in Peoria back around 2021. (one shock only, not two. And since I should replace in pairs, it just might turn into nsxmobilia)

Last edited:
Let me know if you find any OEM's. I was told I bought the last, if not one of the last, single front shock available in North America from Tim in Peoria back around 2021. (one shock only, not two. And since I should replace in pairs, it just might turn into nsxmobilia)
Thank you

Would you recommend the Billies, OEM, or something else?

This is a very timely thread. I've not shopped for NSX shocks yet but am now going to pick up some Bilsteins for my car's trip to the maintenance spa after 10 years of pleasureship ownership. Have one front strut leaking so would replace the 2 fronts, if not all 4.

Unlike tires where there are at least some options across a given brand, it looks like Bilstein offers only one type for my year (93), the B6? (at least, according to what Tire Rack says). I haven't looked anywhere else yet. For your everyday Joe Schmoe NSX owner who doesn't track, are the B6's the go-to replacement for OEM typically?
The Bils have been the go-to for all NSX owners going back to the 90's. They are high quality and durable. The B6 has been the only option for us. For the price, it's hard to beat. You just put your OEM springs on the top perch and you're basically at brand-new spec plus a little handling bump from the firmer damper rates.

If you're a purist, the OEM shocks are still available from vendors like MITA. But they're much more expensive than the Bils. You do, however get OEM fitment and damping curves, so your NSX will feel exactly like a brand new one in terms of handling.

If cost isn't a factor, my main recommendation for all NSX owners is to get the Type-S suspension. It's just...well, perfect. Lowers slightly, comfortably firm but not brutal, OEM fitment and tuning. It's just a fabulous setup. Needs no adjustment- just bolt it on and go.

If I didn't have my baller MCS setup, I'd have a Type-S in there.

An inexpensive proven alternative to the S is paring zanardi springs with koni yellows..

Back