• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How many miles is too many for a used NSX?

If you plan to drive and enjoy it then the only question for me would be...

1. How much do I plan to use it per year on avg?
2. Do I have enough warranty coverage leftover from Honda to cover the miles I plan to drive it?

If you have enough then that's just a pricing issue which is negotiable.

Keep in mind.. some folks bought brand new ones for near your $130k price. Options dependent of course.

Good luck!

No. If the new NSX is up to Hondacura's usual build standard, 12k miles means it's not even broken in, yet. I wouldn't hesitate. The only question is how much you are willing to pay, as [MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] states above.

It's a Honda; not a Ferrari.

Miles are not a concern for me.

The fact that one could get a new one for near $130K kills me, because I missed that deal. If I were able to get that deal now I would. All the upgrades I wanted are the full leather and Tech package.

The one I'm interested currently for $130K had an MSRP of $190K and has all the carbon fiber options, etc. Sticker price is $190K on it. However, one of the few options it is actually missing is the full leather. :|

Will I be able to get a better price for it one day just because it has all the CF upgrades? Not sure..doesn't seem like this..

Here is the sticker from the dealer that is selling it at $130k. He already dropped a few grand I can probably get him to $128K or something around there.

Attachments

• 2017 Acura NSX.JPG
    2017 Acura NSX.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 694
It's not the number of miles, it's how the miles were accumulated.

Are you able to determine if the car was launched and if so, how many times, was the car tracked?

Ask them to put it up on a lift and see what it lols like underneath?

Request service records, with 12k it may have had 2 oil changes and perhaps brakes if the car was used hard.

I would still be surfing around for a low mileage car.

As for reliability the miles are a non issue. If you were looking at a used 2017 Accord with 12,000 miles you never would have asked the question.
As for all the carbon options I believe they will never hurt resale.
I didn't think I would like the alcantara/ leather seats, Now I wouldn't have them any other way.

Well, I'm thinking more of future resale value here. Most people don't want a supercar with high miles. As a matter of fact, I owned a Viper GTS and the previous owner put 44,000 miles on it. It was difficult to sell it due to the high mileage. Had the highest mileage of all the listings out there.

Another thing is wear/tear. If someone managed to put 12,000 miles on a supercar within 1 year then they must've used it as a daily driver. Must've been their primary car.

So now I have found two to pick from:

NSX with 2K miles, $130K, original MSRP somewhere in $160k range
NSX with 12K miles, $130K, original MSRP somewhere in $190k range.

Honestly, none of the additional options of the $190K one are really of interest to me. But thinking that it still may be the better deal due to the options and if I ever go to sell it I might get a bit of a higher price for it, possibly. Well that's the question and that's why I'm not sure.

I just wish the rebate thing came back. That would solve it!

160k MSRP used car is very basic
you would hope to buy in the low 120's (new cars were sold in the 120's)
the highly optioned car is alot of fluff for CF options
the only thing that would be a requirement is the rear spoiler. this option does set the car apart and gives a much better look with it.
good luck

Last edited:
Hmmm, haven't considered the rear spoiler. Honestly, I'd have to see it in person with and without it.

yes, the CF is alot of fluff. I had an audi r8 with the CF all around and honestly, preferred it without the CF (with exception of the side blades).

The one I build on the builder totals approx $163K or so. Really all it has is the tech package with Sirius and full leather seats.

The 2K miles car could have advantages in the later if most buyers are looking for the lower consumable costs related to the iron brakes

On the other had the carboceramic brakes are an excellent option and I feel they really should be on a car of this class

This is my first car with ceramic carbon brakes and I absolutely love them. Had my car 2 1/2 months 1.500 miles and never once washed my calipers and the they still look brand new, no brake dust or very very little.

Tough call.... options vs. low miles. I'd probably opt for low miles. I've always thought the carbon fiber add ons were fluff. I'd think if you bought the low mile car you could drive 10K guilt free miles, and with the possibility you could sell it in a year for what you bought it for??? As stated above, the low mile car is a low optioned car and likely has iron brakes. I think the iron brakes are perfectly adequate, but I bought a car with the CCB's mostly for resale value - time will tell. I also agree with whoever said that resale value drops on high mileage supercars...... I toil every time I drive the car thinking I'm devaluing it by driving it, but what's the point of owning if you don't drive it and enjoy it? Anyway, I vote for low miles.......

And BTW, with the rebate and big dealer discount I bought a mid level car ($184,100 MSRP). The cheap cars weren't getting the larger dealer discounts, and for just a few thousand $$ more you could get $20k in options...... It was difficult to find exactly the perfect car, so when I found one that had just about the right level of options, I pulled the trigger. I was not a big fan of the cars fully loaded with CF, but ended up with a carbon fiber roof and engine cover, both of which have really grown on me as I've owned the car.
I really wanted the rear carbon fiber spoiler, but it wasn't meant to be and the "spoiler-less deck has grown on me too!!

This is my first car with ceramic carbon brakes and I absolutely love them. Had my car 2 1/2 months 1.500 miles and never once washed my calipers and the they still look brand new, no brake dust or very very little.

While an expensive option, the CCB's are awesome for what you stated. They also offer significant weight savings (~52lbs) over the iron brakes (for those who care about having the lightest NSX possible). The other CF "fluff" option that I would consider getting is the CF roof. I've heard it also offers another 50lbs or so of weight savings.

+1 to this.

I have the full leather seats, and they look a little boring to me. The alcantara inserts make the seats more interesting to look at, plus they hold you in place more. Neither is deal-breaker to me though.

While an expensive option, the CCB's are awesome for what you stated. They also offer significant weight savings (~52lbs) over the iron brakes (for those who care about having the lightest NSX possible). The other CF "fluff" option that I would consider getting is the CF roof. I've heard it also offers another 50lbs or so of weight savings.

CCB are 52lbs lighter than the iron rotors. If you want to go full weight savings you will want to get the Y-spoke wheels, manual seats, CF roof as you mentioned, as well as no tech package which will save the weight of parking sensors, an extra speaker, and other additional audio system amplifiers. I'm digging into specifically how much weight can be saved if you were simply trying to go as light as possible but it's tricky to get for some of the options.

CCB are 52lbs lighter than the iron rotors. If you want to go full weight savings you will want to get the Y-spoke wheels, manual seats, CF roof as you mentioned, as well as no tech package which will save the weight of parking sensors, an extra speaker, and other additional audio system amplifiers. I'm digging into specifically how much weight can be saved if you were simply trying to go as light as possible but it's tricky to get for some of the options.

I predict in the future someone will take a 2nd gen NSX maybe a salvaged one and strip all the electric power parts for a straight 500hp RWD NSX. Should be fun and light as a can be.

I predict in the future someone will take a 2nd gen NSX maybe a salvaged one and strip all the electric power parts for a straight 500hp RWD NSX. Should be fun and light as a can be.

ha its currently racing worldwide in gt3 trim....:wink:

Great info! Interesting tidbit...Some folks have weighed both the Y-spoke and the optional interwoven wheels, and the interwoven wheels are just as light, if not a tad bit lighter, than the Y-spokes. The front 19" Y-spoke wheel weighed in at 19.2lbs, while the front 19" painted interwoven came in at 19"lbs even. Acura did a great job providing lightweight wheels for the NSX. For the people wanting to upgrade the wheels, be careful in choosing wheels if weight/rotational mass is of any concern. Most of the aftermarket wheels (except for the super expensive options) will most likely be heavier than the stock ones.

Great info! Interesting tidbit...Some folks have weighed both the Y-spoke and the optional interwoven wheels, and the interwoven wheels are just as light, if not a tad bit lighter, than the Y-spokes. The front 19" Y-spoke wheel weighed in at 19.2lbs, while the front 19" painted interwoven came in at 19"lbs even. Acura did a great job providing lightweight wheels for the NSX. For the people wanting to upgrade the wheels, be careful in choosing wheels if weight/rotational mass is of any concern. Most of the aftermarket wheels (except for the super expensive options) will most likely be heavier than the stock ones.

Very interesting. I did not actually know that. From everything I had heard about the Y-spoke wheels being the track focused option I assumed they would be lighter. I think the Y-spokes are still the way to go for any car you are trying to save weight on as most likely you are doing so for track purposes and the Y-spoke wheels have better brake cooling properties than the interwoven wheels. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more wheel options or having the Y-spoke wheels available in more colors.

Back on topic, I think that you would be fine with the higher miles car and if you intend to drive the car a lot that is definitely the vehicle to go with. I made the mistake on my last vehicle of buying a low miles car and then driving it 20,000 miles in the first year. The depreciation definitely hurt. I also think for a car with a self contained hybrid system like the NSX it's better to know it has been driven and that battery has been maintained. I would be worried about ultra low miles cars as they most likely have been sitting and that is not great for the hybrid batteries. I'd take the higher miles car, drive it as much as you want and enjoy this amazing vehicle.

Very interesting. I did not actually know that. From everything I had heard about the Y-spoke wheels being the track focused option I assumed they would be lighter. I think the Y-spokes are still the way to go for any car you are trying to save weight on as most likely you are doing so for track purposes and the Y-spoke wheels have better brake cooling properties than the interwoven wheels. Wouldn't mind seeing a few more wheel options or having the Y-spoke wheels available in more colors.

Completely agree on the wheels. The fact that the Y-spokes are the base wheels and the interwoven ones cost more makes it a no-brainer. Somehow, it makes you wonder what Acura was thinking when deciding which ones are the "upgrades/option" and which should be the base ones. Hopefully, for 2019 and on we see more wheel options.

I think Acura got it right. The painted interwoven wheels are upscale. The Y spokes are nice but rather simple so makes sense they are the base wheels. Except for the chrome ones. Those are gross.

I think Acura got it right. The painted interwoven wheels are upscale. The Y spokes are nice but rather simple so makes sense they are the base wheels. Except for the chrome ones. Those are gross.

I agree they got it right, however I would love them to offer different finishes on the Y-spoke wheels for a small up-charge and then have the Y-spoke wheel as an upscale option. One simple way to add more a more personal feel to the cars is to offer a variety of sporty and upscale wheels in a variety of finishes. It is not too difficult to offer more designs and it will allow each car to be a bit more unique. One complaint we have heard a lot is that there isn't many options that you can pick to make your car truly stand out from another NSX. I did bring this up with some higher up's recently and they mentioned it's not the first they have heard of that either.

Changes are coming. All that remains to be seen is how much they will do vs. how much they can do.

The beef I have with the upcharge interwoven i that they are not asymmetrical. The wheel is going one way on the driver side and the other on the passenger side.

If you really want to complain, the nasty looking $10K accessory wheel set with tacked on CF has sold very few sets. The Modulo wheels from Honda Japan that mimic the GT3 car wheels are what I refer to as disco, because they are fake center locks.

Last edited:
Back