• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to change the NSX's engine sound

You guys are saying that a 3.5L with that exhaust and some headwork can sound like that? Those NSX's, concrete walls and stands or not, sound NOTHING like a standard NSX. Are they using a different crank? Exhausts just can't do it on a C32. The exhaust on my car right now is like $8,000. GT1 header, straight pipes, supercharger, arc titanium. It's OK.... It's nothing like a GTC NSX or even any Italian.

Hello mate,
sorry to point out the obvious but if you are looking for a high pitched sound, maybe the Arc exhaust is not the best choice? It is medium-pitched at best is it not? One combo i would love to hear is GT1 titanium headers, titanium test pipes and RFY Ver1 Titanium!(Just not the price!)

You guys aren't showing me anything I haven't seen and heard. There isn't a single NSX exhaust system out there that will give the sound I am looking for. They are all variations of the same sound to me.

'Variations of the same' isn't that abit of an oxymoron? I think there is a huge variation in exhaust sounds for our cars! Comptech, Taitec FN09, Taitec GT009, RFY Ver1, Arc, Gruppe M etc. All sound very different to each other imo. To get the sound you're after, i think it's easier to buy an F355 with a straight Tubi ;)

have you tried this exhuast on your car?

i have not hear this exhaust in person but int this video it sounds a little close on the high RPM range
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1qXeQviSBsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

3.23 onwards, that sounds fantastic!:D Ferrari-esque?

Listen to them tickover!!!!

Awesome!!

you have to love high lift cams!!

Toda Killer cams Y0! ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and i doubt you will get tickover like that in a Honda unless it is a constant high lift cam like the killer cams because my understanding regardless how high the cam profile is it's only like that when in Vtec. As where a killer cam replaces the Vtec system and constantly a high cam profile.

......more like 19k rpm.....lol.

Dave, I think it is time you design and create your own exhaust for the nsx to achieve what you want. Pick up where Anytime John left off. With your knowledge of sound, you should be able to create something great. Work with borla or corsa maybe to get what you want. I am sure you can get a group commitment to make it worth their while.

I share your thoughts regarding sound, I was spoilt chasing a f360 with stage 3 capristo through the Alps - it was like chasing an F1 car.

To get close to this sound I think you need very aggressive high lift cams with raised rpm limit. Trade off will be bad idle. Greater displacement can't hurt either to add more depth to the sound. Think of it like a motorbike, it's when the revs are so high the exhaust sounds amazing.

I think the NSX has a sound of its own but I am 100% with Turbo. The single biggest thing I would change on the car is sound and I think this particular configuration engine is very difficult if not impossible to make the sound of a Ferrari (which personally I think is the best out there shy of maybe an LFA). Interesting thread to read.

hey dave
just now saw this thread, this is how comptech 3.5l nsx sound like at revving.
so you know what your car will sound like if you decide to troke your motor.

If you want your car to sound like a race car, you need race car parts. Those cars rev like that because internally they are all exotic stuff. Couple 12K revs with no real muffling and you have that. It's not street car stuff.

Last edited:
hey dave
just now saw this thread, this is how comptech 3.5l nsx sound like at revving.
so you know what your car will sound like if you decide to troke your motor.

Sounds awesome!
What exhaust?
R u running straight pipes?

Besides stroking and FI, wouldn't throttle response help get up to higher RPMs quicker? Best way, IMO, would be to get a super light flywheel with matching clutch, increase your compression ratio, increase the spark advance which can be done during the tuning, larger throttle body and intake piping, larger exhaust ID, lighter rotating engine components (pistons, rods, valves, etc).

Unfortunately this would not get you to 9K+ RPM limit. Beyond 9K is where the true symphony begins.

I have had a lot of V8's in my day. The sweet sound they make is from the exhaust. I think the beauty of these cars is the actual sound from the engine/intake. If I really wanted to enhance my own experience, I would go with the induction side coupled with a nice cat-back. I would think ITB's would be glorious.

Here's the engine you're looking for...
GT500 C32B
3.5L V6 NA 500hp

ARTANSX_engine.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

as someone else mentioned, I think getting a Ferrari 360 Modena with Powercraft exhaust would be the easiest way...

Back