• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to change the NSX's engine sound

I've wanted this but I am afraid I am getting in way over my head and won't know what to do with the thing after I buy it. Still, I think this car can be bought for 100K or less, and it is historic, and you better believe I will get in it and drive it around WGI slow poke style.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1345564538/1345564538la.htm

1345564538la1_zpse6e0720f.jpg

Doc and others are not wrong. The combo of all that + not-2-tight piston-wall clearance + a tiny multi-clutch will make it bark AND give you very close the sound you want but the life will be short. Is it possible JGTC change the firing order to make it sound like that? Maybe, IFF that makes more power not cuz they want better sound. I doubt this is the case. A flat crank definitely helps but due to the firing pulses, it works better for v8 and up.
I am sure they have very high compression so you have to run race gas.....ok, you can run E85.

You have the $$$$ exhaust but you don't have the tiny carbon clutch and Tilton won't make it anymore unless we have a group buy of 20+ starting $5k/set up + the custom TO + Slave/master+ pedal?
I think Don Templeton has one on his car and I am sure his engine barks. This should be your next mod but hard to drive it during rush hour.

I thought about this awhile back, what happens when nobody no longer makes parts for our cars and all the stock has been depleted and everything DO cost an arm and a leg but I still want that F1 bark. well, this is one answer but a short life.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WbOchti_5UA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've wanted this but I am afraid I am getting in way over my head and won't know what to do with the thing after I buy it. Still, I think this car can be bought for 100K or less, and it is historic, and you better believe I will get in it and drive it around WGI slow poke style.

http://www.race-cars.com/carsales/other/1345564538/1345564538la.htm

1345564538la1_zpse6e0720f.jpg

this car will not sound like the na jgtc cars...its a turbo.This car which has been for sale for a long time would be a good buy if you wanted a track car with history.

Im extremely happy with the sound of my car, Turbo with a 3" straight divided exhaust.
Racecar sound to say the least, Extremely beautiful and kick ass.
So much better than off the shelf exhaust.

I kinda like the natural NSX sound.

skip to the 1:00 mark. it's not bad
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ydZZ6e_5qtM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

This vid made me miss my NSX with the Tubi. Damn.

have you tried this exhuast on your car?

i have not hear this exhaust in person but in this video it sounds a little close to a JGTC in the high RPM range
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1qXeQviSBsA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
You guys aren't showing me anything I haven't seen and heard. There isn't a single NSX exhaust system out there that will give the sound I am looking for. They are all variations of the same sound to me.

My stage 1 FI engine definently sounds different to a stock set up with an aftermarket exhaust.
But its no LS7 or boxer engine and never will be.

Personally i like the sound of the V6.

If sound is that important to you, maybe you should get a V8?

I'm sure it's entirely possible. It could take some complex math calculations and maybe some fluid dynamic modeling software. True 180 degree headers in the domestic world rearranges exhaust pulses to mimic the sound of a flat-plane crank. A well engineered exhaust and high revving sounds nearly identical to a flat-crank Ferrari.

I suppose the real question would be, is there enough physical space to accomplish the end goal?

You guys are saying that a 3.5L with that exhaust and some headwork can sound like that? Those NSX's, concrete walls and stands or not, sound NOTHING like a standard NSX. Are they using a different crank? Exhausts just can't do it on a C32. The exhaust on my car right now is like $8,000. GT1 header, straight pipes, supercharger, arc titanium. It's OK.... It's nothing like a GTC NSX or even any Italian.

Good god, 8 thousand dollars? That's almost a third of what my NSX cost me! A DC Sports catback was already installed when I bought it, and so far that's my only experience with how NSX's sound. I like it though. *shrugs*

You guys aren't showing me anything I haven't seen and heard. There isn't a single NSX exhaust system out there that will give the sound I am looking for. They are all variations of the same sound to me.
Hate to tell you dave, but perhaps you need a different car to get the sound you want. Like a 360.

Hate to tell you dave, but perhaps you need a different car to get the sound you want. Like a 360.

You might be right... But the main reason I brought all this up was that I might be going to an engine build anyway, and while in there, was wondering what the appropriate changes would need to be.

This is in a complete joking manner:

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/how-to-make-a-normal-car-sound-like-a-ferrari-180747534.html

But I've been reading this thread since it started and then thought of it right away when I saw this article this morning.

Good luck with your search of the ultimate sound in a street-driven NSX Dave.

I personally have started to really like the way my current exhaust setup sounds ('05 exhaust manifolds, '00+ test pipes, '00 muffler).
But it also makes me crave an actual aftermarket exhaust (mostly a more free flowing muffler).
On the other hand, I really like that it's normally quiet, but can open up when pushed harder (granted it doesn't compare to any aftermarket muffler).

That being said, you know who to talk to if/whenever you want to sell your ARC :wink:.

^^ LOL that might be my only solution. Obviously if they are selling it to OEM's it's not some junk.

What you need is an R26B and be done with it.

http://youtu.be/QtUEPwHnxmU

That sounded like the devil flying in. Holy shit.... Yes can you get me that in my NSX?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't stop watching that video. The dogs are scared and barking.... That is the most wicked thing I've ever heard.

You might be right... But the main reason I brought all this up was that I might be going to an engine build anyway, and while in there, was wondering what the appropriate changes would need to be.

Why do you need an engine build with a ctsc? Going turbo?

That sounded like the devil flying in. Holy shit.... Yes can you get me that in my NSX?

- - - Updated - - -

I can't stop watching that video. The dogs are scared and barking.... That is the most wicked thing I've ever heard.

I am a little slow:redface: but I think I'd finally realized what Dave wants.....lol:biggrin:.....he wants gobs of db and run at 8000rpm ALL the time.....no wonder nobody has shown him the way:frown:...I am just not skilled to drive in 2nd gear at 8K rpm with my gtlw. Dave, you are faster than me, try 3rd gear with your Ti- exhaust on the freeway. It just might be what you are looking for and save the pesos for engine rebuild. Done!

Delete your cats Dave for awhile.

Back