• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to change the NSX's engine sound

I am in a bit of a holding pattern with MAJOR mods to the car until I see the new NSX and decide what direction I want to go. But looking long term, if I keep this car I will be making my street/track cage and then going after the motor.

One of the things I really would like to concentrate on is not just power but sound. How can I get an engine build that just sounds better without throwing an LS7 in there. Does Comptech Machine still build motors? Can something like a 3.5 be built with a higher rev limit that sounds different? What internals in the engine have to change to completely make the motor sound different? Why does a JGTC NSX sound like this and ours sound like... ours...

Is there any way or are we just stuck.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ADWKjp4yIBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think there are plenty of center exit-style exhausts that can give you a higher pitched sound if that is what you are looking for.

I personally think whiny, raspy engines sound like shit but if that's your thing, go buy a Porsche...

I've yet to hear an NSX engine with ANY exhaust sound vastly different. Not what I am looking for.

My question is what does it take to get better sound into this car. A real race engine sound not an OEM engine sound with an aftermarket exhaust. I'm looking at a 25K engine investment here.

Last edited:
Turbo NSXs sound sick. I would say put the biggest cam out there for the NSX in when you do the build and get a proper tuner to extend the timing . I would LOVE to hear an NSX rev at 9000+. Do you like the Messiah exhaust from STMPO? You should give it a shot , that thing sounds like NSX on steroids

Like I said, I have heard all the exhausts on a standard bore and stroke C32/30 and I am not looking for anything that can produce with an exhaust change or a turbo. My question is, what is it that makes that JGTC motor sound like that? I believe it is based on a C32B although highly altered.

I have not heard the 3.5 liter conversions, what do they sound like? Is it possible to get something close to a real race motor with something like a 30K budget or just a dream? What is the closest you can come? what is the best reasonable way to get better sound?

Last edited:
The JGTC is just a really high compression C32B with a tune. I assume if you get a 3.5 liter from SOS, adjust the timing well, get ITBs and a super free flowing exhaust it should sound similar. Is it possible? Yes , just hard to get the tune that gives the JGTC that much power.Don't forget to run race gas ;)

the reason that jgtc sound the way they do is the straight large collector headers with large diameter exits with no muffling. straight tube from header to bumper. then the cams they run are large with no vtec so they run on the "high cam" all of the time.

They also probablly have some serious head work with larger valves.

oh and dont forget about the itbs and raised rev limit.

the closest sound i have heard to jgtc is the taitec stai system which is straight 2.5" tube from the header collectors to a singe exit tip.

This is a jgtc exhaust system....

Last edited:
Man those JGTC NSX's on that clip sound angelic,( I almost thought I was going to haven)
I guess another question regarding the cars on the clip would be "why do the NSX on the video haul so much ass?"
And my guess would be : race car.

The bottom line is, you'll need more cylinders. Theres been a lot of designs out there for our cars. A $4000.00 Titanium exhaust still sounds like an NSX to me. If it could be done I think it would have.

I think there are plenty of center exit-style exhausts that can give you a higher pitched sound if that is what you are looking for.

I personally think whiny, raspy engines sound like shit but if that's your thing, go buy a Porsche...

Say that to my Turbo S...

<iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/1785089" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

You guys are saying that a 3.5L with that exhaust and some headwork can sound like that? Those NSX's, concrete walls and stands or not, sound NOTHING like a standard NSX. Are they using a different crank? Exhausts just can't do it on a C32. The exhaust on my car right now is like $8,000. GT1 header, straight pipes, supercharger, arc titanium. It's OK.... It's nothing like a GTC NSX or even any Italian.

Last edited:
A friend worked at Revolution in Japan and got to drive their shop NSX. It's 400hp NA and here is a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jj86LPIIdp0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

They will build you an engine but it's not cheap. I was told $40k for the entire package. That includes ITB's, MoTec, clutch, exhaust, everything dyno tuned and ready to go. They worked with JGTC cars too.

That doesn't sound all that different to me. It sounds like an NSX with ITB's. That again is FAR from the sound of a JGTC car.

rpm,piston speed,air velocity,number of cylinders,orientation of cylinders to crank,header and exhaust tuning all create the sound,which to replicate in a street car would mean putting a race engine in your car which would not last in regular traffic and would need to be rebuilt every few months.

rpm,piston speed,air velocity,number of cylinders,orientation of cylinders to crank,header and exhaust tuning all create the sound,which to replicate in a street car would mean putting a race engine in your car which would not last in regular traffic and would need to be rebuilt every few months.

I want a "can do" answer not a "You can't" answer. LOL.... I hear what you are saying doc but I think there is some way to get much better sound out of this motor beyond just playing with intake and various exhausts.

lol.......again if it was me and i had to have a real jgtc car for the street i would start by asking Shad if he could replicate the old comptech spice motor.Or i would ask some friends in the international race community ie japan to find a now retired r hand drive jgtc race car and have it shipped over with as many spare parts as possible......

Back