• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

How to recognize a dreamer (fraulent buyer)?

I'm starting a somewhat different thread which may be of interest for every NSX-owner in the future: selling your NSX.

I've recently heard some weird stories about people trying to sell their NSX to some 'potential interested' people. But in the end the buyer wasn't interested in buying the car, had no money for it of whatever. I just call them 'dreamers'. If you ever went out with a girl that talks the hole dinner about sex but doesn't want to spend the night with you then you know what I'm talking about. :tongue::D As someone told me that it's no fun selling an NSX because there are a lot of dreamers, joy-riders and losers out there who just waste your time and nerves.

Did it happen to you and of more importance: How to recognize those bastards?

Last edited:
they use the phrase 'but thats over KBB!'

My NSX is for sale and has been for over 1 year. I have had plenty of interest and people who want to come drive it to "see if they will like an NSX". I tell them they are welcome to come see the car and look at it. I also tell them the car does not leave the garage until we have agreed upon terms, they have provided a deposit, (cash or check which has cleared the bank) and evidence of being able to complete the transaction. I know whom ever ends up with my car will appreciate that it has not been driven by joy riders who just want to experience the NSX. Serious buyers will not be detered by that.

I know at least one Prime member who corresponds exactly to this description ! :biggrin:

That's why I started it! :D You can still decide if you want to tell us the full story. :D

@OneRedNSX: What is KBB?

Usually when a person's first question goes, " whats the least you will take for it?"

Usually when a person's first question goes, " whats the least you will take for it?"

If I had a dollar for every e-mail I've gotten in the last month asking that very question, I'd be at least $30 richer. One a day, I swear. No other questions about the car, just wanting to know how cheap they can get it for.

:mad:

If I had a dollar for every e-mail I've gotten in the last month asking that very question, I'd be at least $30 richer. One a day, I swear. No other questions about the car, just wanting to know how cheap they can get it for.

Yeah people's first question should be how much...not how little.

Can I take a test drive in your 87 Gray/Gray F-16. I'll leave a 30million dollar deposit. :biggrin:

Or another one goes something like, "I am a cash money buyer."

You know you have a dreamer when your buyer is not able to pay you a 10% deposit for a 91 NSX and then you see a thread on Fchat where he says that he is about to buy to himself a 2002 or 2005 NSX while waiting to buy a F430 for the weekend and a 997TT as a dailydriver. :wink:

For all the highly customized cars I've sold in the past....I haven't really turned any buyers away. It's part of the selling process. I wouldn't let just any one test drive it, but at the same time if they are willing to come out and meet you, it's worth the time.

If you really want to sell it...you have to take the good with the bad. I've sold almost all my cars online and to buyers that live many thousands of miles away.

Good thread.
I'm not looking to sell mine, but if I were to, I would come up with some "Pre-qualifying" questions. My business is recruiting, and I prequal all my candidates. Resumes are often bloated and innacurate, as are people's ability to purchase a car like this.
I think some of these individuals have subconsciously convinced themselves that they can afford, handle, and accept ownership of the car. So yes, dreamers indeed.

"I am a cash money buyer."

If it would be legal to shoot someone trying to rip someone else off in a car-deal this nonsense would only attract suiciders and would stop immediately. :D

I always thought that only women were able to dream/think about it how it could, would or should be but there are a lot of men with their dream if they were rich, they would buy.....out there too. It's some kind of great disrespect. :mad:

I always thought that only women were able to dream/think about it how it could, would or should be but there are a lot of men with their dream if they were rich, they would buy.....out there too. It's some kind of great disrespect. :mad:

Yes, only REAL MEN stay on their words !

A young (17-18 year old) guy shows up to look at my car (which I ended up deciding to keep) and drives up in a mid 90s Civic with cheap body kit not painted, fart can exhaust, and huge ricer wing. So he tells me he and his "skanky" girlfriend want to take the car for a test drive. Not a chance. So he tells me that his 500 rwhp turbo civic would blow my NSX away in a street race. OK, now that's not exactly the way to talk your way into driving my car. So I told him that if his girlfriend blew me that I might think about giving her a ride, but he can get that piece of sh!t Civic out of my driveway as it was leaking oil all over it.

So I told him that if his girlfriend blew me that I might think about giving her a ride, but he can get that piece of sh!t Civic out of my driveway as it was leaking oil all over it.

MDR85.gif

What about the emails that consist of.....

Dear seller,
Hello, my name is John Johnson and I have come across your ad. I would like to purchase immediately. Please provide me with a mailing address so I can mail out a bank check to you asap. Upon receiving payment you must ship your item to me immediately. I hope to hear from you soon

Sincerely,
John Johnson
:biggrin:

What about the emails that consist of.....

Dear seller,
Hello, my name is John Johnson and I have come across your ad. I would like to purchase immediately. Please provide me with a mailing address so I can mail out a bank check to you asap. Upon receiving payment you must ship your item to me immediately. I hope to hear from you soon

Sincerely,
John Johnson
:biggrin:

I am surprised that he did not ask for your bank account info and credit card so that he could qualify you as a legit seller :biggrin:

A young (17-18 year old) guy shows up to look at my car (which I ended up deciding to keep) and drives up in a mid 90s Civic with cheap body kit not painted, fart can exhaust, and huge ricer wing. So he tells me he and his "skanky" girlfriend want to take the car for a test drive. Not a chance. So he tells me that his 500 rwhp turbo civic would blow my NSX away in a street race. OK, now that's not exactly the way to talk your way into driving my car. So I told him that if his girlfriend blew me that I might think about giving her a ride, but he can get that piece of sh!t Civic out of my driveway as it was leaking oil all over it.

Jim,
I read many of your post. You are halarious.

My NSX is for sale and has been for over 1 year. I have had plenty of interest and people who want to come drive it to "see if they will like an NSX". I tell them they are welcome to come see the car and look at it. I also tell them the car does not leave the garage until we have agreed upon terms, they have provided a deposit, (cash or check which has cleared the bank) and evidence of being able to complete the transaction. I know whom ever ends up with my car will appreciate that it has not been driven by joy riders who just want to experience the NSX. Serious buyers will not be detered by that.

I've never understood that attitude. I'm not saying I would let everybody who shows up at my door drive my car, but if I felt the person was even a little bit serious then I have zero qualms about letting him drive. Needless to say, I would ride along, but I don't know what virtue there is in having a car that no one but me has ever driven.

As for myself, I would NEVER put a deposit on a car I couldn't drive first. That doesn't even make a little bit of sense.

So I told him that if his girlfriend blew me that I might think about giving her a ride, but he can get that piece of sh!t Civic out of my driveway as it was leaking oil all over it.

Back