• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HP Performance's Turbo Kit for 91 NSX

Just voicing true honest opinion. In some cases simple fact. ...

Opinion yes, it's the true and honest part I could debate endlessly. No time now, but I and others have posted about these absurd myths/exaggerations many times in the past. Surely one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented aspects of performance automobiles. To say that turbo engines lack low-end torque is the biggest lie of all.

There is even a term called "turbo lag".

Gee, really? ;) There are lot's of terms that most people don't really understand.

I'm gonna run 8psi. I will be ordering a new clutch tomorrow.

From what I read while lurking this section is tuning is key(among other things).

My car will be going down to SOS next winter for a full build....

Well it appears that this thread may be getting off topic rather quick. Can we please try to keep the arguing via PM, so as not to flood this thread with information not relater to the HP turbo kit?

Cant wait to see some results!
Nathan

Ah............that's a forum. You don't need to know shit to post. I try to think that everyones 11 years old and has a 5 thousand plus post count because they have the time :p

I good Mod "COULD" clean this Thread but some info is at leased entertaining. I've been an Administrator for the Rx7club (one of the largest car forums) for over 8 years and you haven't seen anything yet :eek:

Well it appears that this thread may be getting off topic rather quick. Can we please try to keep the arguing via PM, so as not to flood this thread with information not relater to the HP turbo kit?

Cant wait to see some results!
Nathan

Nathan, we have strayed a bit off-topic, but I consider this a relevant discussion whenever someone makes broad statements about the pros and cons of turbocharged engines, so please bare with me.

Nsxsupra, sorry, I don’t know your name. Mine is Steve.

First of all, I’m sorry that my comments were taken personally. I didn’t mean them that way, but they turned admittedly sharp after the first exchange. As for your language skills, they were not the target of my sarcasm, your posts are more intelligible than many for whom English is their native language. I envy your multi-language skills. I’m not sure what wise-guy posts you read, but I’ll admit that I’m not around much the last couple years and post even less. When I do I’m generally motivated by something like this, annoyed at the dissemination of inaccurate or incomplete information that is an ever more prevalent part of this, the most spectacular tool for communication ever conceived.

I’m sure you have heard and read advertisements claiming that “More doctors recommend…” and wondered “More than what?” The whole turbo/SC/torque/lag issue is complex, and repeating the cliché statements about them without more information is not just incomplete, it is at best extremely misleading. FWIW, I probably owned my first turbo car before most members of this forum were born, and I’ve seen them evolve from very crude to very sophisticated. The crude ones would kick the crap out of most after-market SC options today.

Let’s stipulate that there are several types of superchargers with different strengths and weaknesses, and while those differences are significant they all share similarities that make them distinct from turbos. There have been and continue to be attempts to build SCs with variable drives and other ways to get boost earlier, but at best they are not perfected much less widely used so I’m ignoring those in this discussion. Let’s also stipulate that if your only goal is to crank maximum peak dyno HP out of a small displacement engine by bolting on a turbo pulled from a Cat diesel, there is a price to be paid in response. Naturally not everyone uses their NSX in the same way, but other than bragging rights or serious drag racing (not my cup of tea), there is little sense in building a street legal one with more than 500 rwhp even if you spends weekends lapping road courses. So my focus is cars with about 400 rwhp with stock internals and 500 with the appropriate upgrades.

If there is one thing that tubos do well it is torque, especially low and mid-range. Look at the power curves for two well prepared cars, one turbo and one SC with similar peak boost levels, and tell me which one has more torque. And that’s on a dyno, typically from steady “pull” which is a fine measurement tool but not the best imitation of real-world driving. It’s hard for me so address the misconceptions about lag and torque separately because people seem to think of the latter as an extension of the former, which of course it is not. I trace the exaggerated perception of turbo lag to the early turbocharged Porsche 911 derivatives. An already tail-happy car with extremely low compression and a big slow turbo, they did suffer from significant boost lag and when it did come on with a rush exiting a corner it could send you pointing the wrong direction in a hurry. Fast in skilled hands, but hard to drive, and deadly in the wrong hands. A lot has changed since then.

Back to the “compared to what?” question. If your idea of fun, or measure of performance, is to cruise along at a few thousand RPM and suddenly stomp on the throttle, nothing beats a well-tuned normally aspirated car. The typical CTSC using a rising rate FPR for fuel enrichment is a bit lethargic by comparison, falling somewhat flat as the throttle plate opens and the engine tries to suck air through the SC and the bypass closes. It is brief, but noticeable in from-a-punch races. I would expect that to be minimized with a well tuned standalone ECU. Do the same thing with a turbo designed for all around performance and it will certainly take time to build boost, but in the blink of an eye it will match the boost of an SC. After that it is no contest. Compared to the mechanically driven SC, a turbo builds boost from load rather than RPM, with more load creating more boost, creating more load, feeding itself. Typical dyno pulls don’t even begin to show the differences, but drive the two back-to-back under various conditions and they are obvious. In daily spirited driving the most dramatic difference is probably going up hills, where the link between load and power is maximized. A rush, literally.

Lag. Both SC and turbo cars typically exhibit a minor decrease in off-idle and low RPM throttle response, but that isn’t really the same as lag. I would define lag as the time it takes to transition into positive boost. Like I said, if you get kicks from jumping on the gas from a cruise then technically a turbo will transition to boost more slowly than an SC. How much longer? That depends, but don’t try to catch it on a stopwatch. In comparable systems it is very slight with a stock compression engine, and only marginally more for one built with higher boost in mind. More importantly, at times when power matters to me the lag is effectively non-existent. When the car is being driven hard through the gears or around the track where shifts are fast and engine RPM is kept up, max boost is regained about as fast as you can complete a shift. So much so in fact that many people use the latest technology to suppress the rate boost comes up. Actually, that’s been done in production turbos for a long time to keep Joe-average driver from losing control. In other words, too much torque too fast at lower RPM! Not a complaint you hear about SC cars. When not “racing”, I love the way a turbo responds. If I’m cruising along and decide to pass someone or sprint up to the next corner, I roll in the throttle and boost builds at an exponential rate, very different from an SC, offering huge torque with low revs and no unwanted drama. Experience that just once in a properly built car and you will never again say that turbos lack low-end torque.

My point with all this is to help debunk the myths and misconceptions about turbocharged engines. People looking for information to help make important and expensive choices are inundated with the out-dated, over-simplified and sometimes downright false clichés that get repeated again and again, often without any other details or attempt to put them in real-world context. Pretty soon they join the crowd of people repeating the mantra that turbos are crap for low-end torque and suffer from “lag”, even if they don’t really understand it. I liken it to ethnic and gender stereotypes that may or may not have sprung from a kernel of truth but are grossly exaggerated and not at all representative of reality as a whole. (Not that I put those on the same level. I do have a sense of perspective and relative importance, but the symptoms are similar.) My initial response in this topic was a polite attempt to coax you or someone into expounding a bit on the subject and fill in some of the details, to which you replied in part “Low end torque and turbo lag is well known downside of turbo.” It occurs to me that the Internet is to “common knowledge” what a turbo is to boost, building at an exponential rate rather than the more linear model of mouth-to-mouth communications. Unfortunately it does not discriminate between fact and fiction, so we all need to do that by asking more questions and insisting on supporting evidence because even “common knowledge” is sometimes wrong and often out of date.

I don’t know your name. Mine is Steve.
Steve,

No need to aplogize:smile: . I am the the one who need to apologize, regardless if my intention were genuine or not. The way I carried out was simply wrong and I do regret. The information you provided is very informative.

Back to topic, I will upload some videos to my youtube once John complete the HP Turbo kit installation.

Jason

Last edited:
Thanks Jason, you are very kind.

Ah, something I forgot. Another consideration when choosing between SC and turbo is the engine to be boosted. Superchargers are most common on drag cars with large displacement engines that inherently have gobs of torque and can overpower their tires even without a lot of boost, but they need all they can get towards the end of the run. Smaller, short-stroke and higher reving engines inherently have less low-end torque and respond best to a turbo. That’s one reason they are most common in road racing where you see very few if any purpose-built racecars with superchargers. Racers want torque coming out of corners and max boost as soon as possible to simulate a larger engine. They don’t pick turbos for their looks! The NSX engine responds fairly well to both, but stock it has a very linear power delivery that lacks the grunt people love about V8s and V10s. A turbo compliments it by adding the grunt and flattening the power curve from the bottom, whereas an SC is like more of the original, tilting the curve up at a steeper angle. Both are good, but in terms of useable power under the curve a turbo usually wins when starting with a small engine, and the SC wins when starting with a big-block. Balance, the hallmark of the NSX, also applies to modification choices. That’s not to say a lot of people wouldn’t be most satisfied with an SC. Once you know the facts it comes down to personal choice.

Thanks Jason, you are very kind.

Ah, something I forgot. Another consideration when choosing between SC and turbo is the engine to be boosted. Superchargers are most common on drag cars with large displacement engines that inherently have gobs of torque and can overpower their tires even without a lot of boost, but they need all they can get towards the end of the run. Smaller, short-stroke and higher reving engines inherently have less low-end torque and respond best to a turbo. That’s one reason they are most common in road racing where you see very few if any purpose-built racecars with superchargers. Racers want torque coming out of corners and max boost as soon as possible to simulate a larger engine. They don’t pick turbos for their looks! The NSX engine responds fairly well to both, but stock it has a very linear power delivery that lacks the grunt people love about V8s and V10s. A turbo compliments it by adding the grunt and flattening the power curve from the bottom, whereas an SC is like more of the original, tilting the curve up at a steeper angle. Both are good, but in terms of useable power under the curve a turbo usually wins when starting with a small engine, and the SC wins when starting with a big-block. Balance, the hallmark of the NSX, also applies to modification choices. That’s not to say a lot of people wouldn’t be most satisfied with an SC. Once you know the facts it comes down to personal choice.

I couldn't have said it better. And don't even get me started on the diffrence between turbo's now vs. then. Most people who have grown up doing this saw the turbo charged car boom in the 80's and have followed it, but grew up with the learning curve of "turbo lag". The tech in turbo's has come a VERY long way. With correct sizing and tunning "turbo lag" can be next to nothing. And manifold design change now....lets not even get on it. Anyway the new tech in turbo's is another discussion for another thread.

Great reading from sjs and supransx. Enjoy all.

J. R.

nothing positive to add here...juts read this thread and find it funny that this kit has been out for years and people BASHED it when it was launched..??...

now it seems like its the kit for the DIY guy???

one thing remains the same..........there is no such thing as a SAFE 400 hp on a stock engine. no way to tell if it will let go till you bolt it on......

oh yeah and with the right turbo, its ALL torque....nothing at all like a supra or rx7....start making that much power with this displacement and yeah, you will see lag.

i am happy to see so many people building turbo cars though :) kinda sucks not to be one of the few any longer, but way cooler for the renewed intrest.

Well, My NSX is now at HP Performance getting the kit installed. You guys really got me thinking about turbo size.
After talking to Jimmy and Nathan at HP for quite a while about the matter, I decided to upgrade to the gt35 ball bearing turbo. Sounds like it should spool up quickly and make plenty of power. They said that the basic turbo they send in their kit is great and spools up quickly, but I didn't want to be limited by the turbo in the future. Hope this information helps.

Stick-e-rice can you please tell me where you found this great price on the Exedy Clutch?

Well, My NSX is now at HP Performance getting the kit installed. You guys really got me thinking about turbo size.
After talking to Jimmy and Nathan at HP for quite a while about the matter, I decided to upgrade to the gt35 ball bearing turbo. Sounds like it should spool up quickly and make plenty of power. They said that the basic turbo they send in their kit is great and spools up quickly, but I didn't want to be limited by the turbo in the future. Hope this information helps.

A gt35R is going to spool VERY FAST on a 3.0L NSX motor depending on the A/R turbine housing they went with. Did you ask what A/R they are doing on yours. I would be interested. Most of the 2.0L S2000 guys can spool a GT35R by 4,800 RPM. So expect that a 3.0L depending on A/R housing could do it in the low to sub 4 range. That is going to be a VERY TORQUEeeee streetable turbo. Let us know how it turns out. My personal set-up for the car would be a GT40/88R. Big turbo yes....but I would run either of the smaller turbine housing they offer in the 40R, which would be either th .85 or .94 A/R housing. I think it would be a killer combo. But who knows, I'll be keeping my eye on how the 35R does.

J. R.

They are waiting on the new AEMs to come out. They have the kit installed otherwise. It looks really good. The exhaust sounds really good now too.
Craig

Recieved everything except the ECU. The exhaust is out getting heat coated as well as the turbo housing. Like I said, and as well as quite a few people that are more familiar with turbo's then me, HIGH QUALITY parts.

So far so good. Now we gotta install it!:rolleyes:

Recieved everything except the ECU. The exhaust is out getting heat coated as well as the turbo housing. Like I said, and as well as quite a few people that are more familiar with turbo's then me, HIGH QUALITY parts.

So far so good. Now we gotta install it!:rolleyes:

After the install will be the real test. Can we get some pics please?

J. R.

More will follow, having trouble with the computer.

If you need hosting for additional pictures let me know, I can upload them for you... I look forward to receiving my kit in the next few weeks, I have become a reseller for HP performance, but I would prefer to see the kit in hand (and on a dyno) before I start to promote it.

Back