• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

HSV V10 Specs

For those that would have enjoyed actually experiencing the next gen Honda sports car's V10 or for those that would just marvel at excellent engineering, I offer the HSV V10 engine specs for your reference (gleaned from Honda R&D material):

• 5 liter (4993 to be exact), V10
  • 550hp
  • 380ft lbs
  • 90 degree bank angle
  • 90 x 78.5 bore stroke
  • 12.3:1 compression ratio
  • Forged pistions
  • Titanium connnecting rods
  • Individual throttle bodies
  • Dual intake manifolds (one for each side)
  • 3 stage i-VTEC
  • low speed, high speed, and cylinder deactivation cam lobes
  • 16-21 city/hwy mpg
  • 22.8 combined unadjusted

Other notables:

• 5-1 exhaust manifold
  • Laser clad welded valve seats (F1 adoption)
  • Extensive reduction in weight of major moving parts
  • Moly coatings on conrods
  • Crankshaft w/ stress relief groove (F1 adoption)
  • Engine maintained reliability during 48 hour Nurburgring test model
  • Optimized crank oil circuit for race-like driving conditions

Sigh.

Last edited:
Do you think any of these specs would be "detuned" when installed in a production sports car on pump gas?

This was the production engine. Gas spec is Premium (RON95). It's fully LEV2-ULEV compliant.

For those that would have enjoyed actually experiencing the next gen Honda sports car's V10 or for those that would just marvel at excellent engineering, I offer the HSV V10 engine specs for your reference (gleaned from Honda R&D material):

• 5 liter (4993 to be exact), V10
  • 550hp
  • 380ft lbs
  • 90 degree bank angle
  • 90 x 78.5 bore stroke
  • 12.3:1 compression ratio
  • Forged pistions
  • Titanium connnecting rods
  • Individual throttle bodies
  • Dual intake manifolds (one for each side)
  • 3 stage i-VTEC
  • low speed, high speed, and cylinder deactivation cam lobes
  • 16-21 city/hwy mpg
  • 22.8 combined unadjusted

Other notables:

• 5-1 exhaust manifold
  • Laser clad welded valve seats (F1 adoption)
  • Extensive reduction in weight of major moving parts
  • Moly coatings on conrods
  • Crankshaft w/ stress relief groove (F1 adoption)
  • Engine maintained reliability during 48 hour Nurburgring test model
  • Optimized crank oil circuit for race-like driving conditions

Sigh.

Ouch:frown:

I say knock two cylinders off of it to pick up a few MPG, drop it in a NHTSA compliant NA2 chassis, with all new interior and start up the damn assembly line!!!! :mad:

Honda should just sell the engine... I'll take that... and put it into an Atom.

I agree with Honcho. If Honda actually did something that daring their biggest problem would be that there would massive shortages cause everyone would want one.

I say knock two cylinders off of it to pick up a few MPG, drop it in a NHTSA compliant NA2 chassis, with all new interior and start up the damn assembly line!!!! :mad:

Why???? They already have AN ENTIRE CAR built around it! Just sell the damn car!!! It's already done!!!

One more tidbit, the engine number of the S2k/NSX mulke at the ring is WZRE-1013.

One more tidbit, the engine number of the S2k/NSX mulke at the ring is WZRE-1013.

Thanks, that's interesting to know. I wonder if there's a chassis number as well?

And here's embedded vid from the post above:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MRhOPpfGcbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And notice the difference in sound volume from the HSV vs. the other cars in this vid:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UzGteJe-K9A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sound was good but did you notice that it was an automatic of sorts - is it like PDK or SMG? Or is it a moded sport automatic like they make for the RL? I guess we'll see.

I don't see anything that impressive in those specs? HP is nice but the torque is awful low for a NA V-10. The MPG must not reflect the cylinder deactivation either because that is very very low. Compare it against the LS7 (that went into production in 2006) and in every specification it is worse except horsepower. :confused:

I don't see anything that impressive in those specs? HP is nice but the torque is awful low for a NA V-10. The MPG must not reflect the cylinder deactivation either because that is very very low. Compare it against the LS7 (that went into production in 2006) and in every specification it is worse except horsepower. :confused:

The LS7 is indeed an incredible engine - no doubt about it. But c'mon, you can't see a difference between a 5 liter engine and a 7 liter engine?

Add ULEV compliance and it's fairly evident that Honda produced a very well rounded engine. The HSV V-10 arguably compares favorably to the LFA engine which is in a 400k car.

I don't see why as a consumer I care about how many hp/liter you get. Maybe that's appealing from a technical standpoint for engineers and important if you're in some sort of spec'd or limited racing series but as a consumer what I ultimately pay for is performance/reliability/etc, not abstract technical achievements. In fact, all else equal I prefer the additional displacement. Does anyone give the slightest rat's ass about ULEV when they're buying a $150k sports car that gets 20MPG in a best case scenario?!??

Honda certainly had (and has) the capability to do much better given their involvement at the time with F1 and continued involvement with Indy. Unfortunately, as has been well lamented over, they've long ago lost their passion for building exciting cars. Look at how groundbreaking the original engine was in the NSX. With this engine the main thing to point out is breaking the 100 hp/liter barrier in a V-10 and putting together an overall significantly less appealing package than a V-8 that was put into production in 2006. Not to mention the specs might have been trimmed down when this engine actually went to production.

I don't see why as a consumer I care about how many hp/liter you get.

Some people want a high output high revs from a relatively small powerplant. Small packaging, lighter weight, performance advantages, etc. Sound familiar? It should b/c the same formula was used in the original "ground breaking" NSX engine. But don't let that get in your way.

Does anyone give the slightest rat's ass about ULEV when they're buying a $150k sports car that gets 20MPG in a best case scenario?!??

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the manufacturers that have to produce and sell the cars w/ mandatory emissions standards? I'm by no means a tree-hugger but I can appreciate Honda's goal of environmental responsibility. Obviously, some people can't/won't.

Unfortunately, as has been well lamented over, they've long ago lost their passion for building exciting cars.

Project much?

I'm sorry but I think you're projecting way beyond the specs that were offered. High revs? I don't see anything referencing the redline in those specs? I suspect if it redlined at 8k+, Honda would have certainly put that in the specs. Regardless, it isn't there so that is pure speculation on your part. Light weight? I see nothing referencing anything to do with total weight of the engine (or the car) in those specs. A 5 liter V-10 is now small packaging? McLaren went with a 3.8 liter V-8 for their supercar so I think you're really reaching.

I don't have to project anything. The facts are right in front of us all. Honda is the company of Crosstours and Odesseys, and has been for a long time.

http://automobiles.honda.com/all-models.aspx

I'm a big fan of the LSx series motors. Once again Chevrolet has set the benchmark for the best bang for the buck V8 in the world like they did with the first Small Block. I don't see why not more small time supercar companies aren't tossing into their "kit cars" a LSx. The business case is a no brainer.

However, I think the argument being made here is being able to get more from less which is exponentially more difficult and all this from a ULEV compliant street legal engine. That's just amazing imho.

The LSx is a great engine no doubt, but it is still a rpm-limited pushrod V8. My vote for engine of the year is Ford's new "Coyote" 5.0L 32v DOHC V8. I think they should do another run of the GT with a 9000 rpm version of this engine. It is almost identical to what I thought Honda should do for the next NSX and or Legend.

I don't see why as a consumer I care about how many hp/liter you get. Maybe that's appealing from a technical standpoint for engineers and important if you're in some sort of spec'd or limited racing series but as a consumer what I ultimately pay for is performance/reliability/etc, not abstract technical achievements. In fact, all else equal I prefer the additional displacement. Does anyone give the slightest rat's ass about ULEV when they're buying a $150k sports car that gets 20MPG in a best case scenario?!??

Honda certainly had (and has) the capability to do much better given their involvement at the time with F1 and continued involvement with Indy. Unfortunately, as has been well lamented over, they've long ago lost their passion for building exciting cars. Look at how groundbreaking the original engine was in the NSX. With this engine the main thing to point out is breaking the 100 hp/liter barrier in a V-10 and putting together an overall significantly less appealing package than a V-8 that was put into production in 2006. Not to mention the specs might have been trimmed down when this engine actually went to production.

Power is a measure of torque at the wheels when gearing is taken into account. That's why it matters to performance, because when you really want to go fast, you downshift. I think the hp/liter figures are a byproduct of trying to design a high performance car.

Every car I have driven with high hp/liter figures (the ones that come to mind right now are the Integra R, 360 Modena, S2000, NSX--for its time) has been an exciting, extremely fun car. More emotionally exciting actually, than the C5 Z06 I drove. Can you provide counterexamples of high performance sports cars with relatively low hp/liter figures? The C6 Z06 comes to mind, but that engine's been worked over to improve high rpm power over the base with Ti con rods, better breathing, higher redline--it is not just about displacement. Can you think of any others?

Last edited:
Back