• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Huntington Autowave Service

Friends,

I am having my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 1997 NSX with 34000 miles at Huntington Autowave Service in California. I hear they do great work. Do any of you have experience with them you could share with me?

:cool:

Sort of.

My wife and I are finalizing the purchase of a 1998 NSX-T. After inquiring several places (including here, amongst local owners, NSXCA, and the current shop servicing the car) I kept being told to take it to Shane at Autowave.

I also called around and spoke to three Acura dealers. It was clear that the dealers didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

We settled on Shane and he and Mark did the inspection last week. They were very thorough, they explained everything to me and their price was very fair (esp. when compared to the dealers). While what I hope to be my new car was in, they were working on three other NSX's and a supercharged S2K that reportedly makes 400bhp at the wheels :eek: (all new internals and the whole kit and caboodle).

If/when we finalize our purchase, I'm immediately taking the car back to Shane to have the timing belt/water pump/hoses, etc. done.

kreh said:
Friends,

I am having my timing belt and water pump replaced on my 1997 NSX with 34000 miles at Huntington Autowave Service in California. I hear they do great work. Do any of you have experience with them you could share with me?

You are in good hands, they are the best of the very best in Southern Cal.

I only let Autowave service my NSX.

Autowave's skill, quality, and customer service is second to none.

Regards,
-- Chris

kreh said:
Friends,

Da Hapa said:
Sort of.

My wife and I are finalizing the purchase of a 1998 NSX-T. After inquiring several places (including here, amongst local owners, NSXCA, and the current shop servicing the car) I kept being told to take it to Shane at Autowave.

I also called around and spoke to three Acura dealers. It was clear that the dealers didn't have a clue what they were talking about.

We settled on Shane and he and Mark did the inspection last week. They were very thorough, they explained everything to me and their price was very fair (esp. when compared to the dealers). While what I hope to be my new car was in, they were working on three other NSX's and a supercharged S2K that reportedly makes 400bhp at the wheels :eek: (all new internals and the whole kit and caboodle).

If/when we finalize our purchase, I'm immediately taking the car back to Shane to have the timing belt/water pump/hoses, etc. done.

Not saying that this shop is bad but what exactly makes this guy better than a factory trained guy??
You also need to remember who are are talking to when calling a dealer, a service adviser knows nothing and is suppose to know nothing. He quotes prices and takes down infomation. The guy probably didn't even know the prices cause they don't take in tons of 90k cars everyday. It doesn't mean in the shop there isn't a tech who is great at what he does and can handle working on it...

kreh,
sounds like you have already made up your mind, but I'll chime in anyway.
I took my NSX to a dealer for inspection before buying it. I give them a "C". Shane and Mark at Autowave did an outstanding job with my timing belt service. They are the only ones to service my car now. :smile:

hondatech_v1.0 said:
Not saying that this shop is bad but what exactly makes this guy better than a factory trained guy??
You also need to remember who are are talking to when calling a dealer, a service adviser knows nothing and is suppose to know nothing. He quotes prices and takes down infomation. The guy probably didn't even know the prices cause they don't take in tons of 90k cars everyday. It doesn't mean in the shop there isn't a tech who is great at what he does and can handle working on it...
You could be right. But he doesn't see the Volume of NSX's.

Why would you go to a dealer when you have to talk with a service manager who probably knows very little about your car. Who then tries to explain what the tech said (if anything). Autowave really took the time to explain the how, what, and why. Plus Autowave has close ties with other independent garages like Science of Speed - I don't see any dealers offering to increase your engine horsepower 100+ thru Natural Aspiration.
just my $0.02

hondatech_v1.0 said:

IMHumbleO, the answer to your question is very simple. The average Acura dealer sees an NSX or two a month, or less. Notable exceptions certainly excist (Brookfield, Davis, and others) but they are clearly exceptions. The people who have dedicated their business's to this car, see them daily, and IF they are good techs, they have the opportunity to learn more and more every day. What do I know about Hondas? I went to work for Scottsdale Honda on opening day, 1979, and have worked on Honda / Acura cars every single day since. When I got tired of making a steady paycheck, I opened my own shop 12 years ago and now work on NSX ONLY, 12/6 The techs at the Valley's three Acura dealers see as many Acuras in a month between them, as I had in my shop yesterday.BTW, that was 13.

Good techs work everywhere, including the dealers. Good experience is available where the cars are.

JMHO,
MB

As usual, Mark hit the nail on the head. What you want to look for, when taking your NSX in for service (or someone else's, for a pre-purchase inspection) is someone who works on NSXs all the time. They are most likely to be familiar with common NSX problems and how to fix them, and will know the short cuts and "gotchas" in the service and repair procedures. Certain common services, such as oil changes, tire changes, and brake work, are the same on the NSX as most other cars. But for anything more complicated than that, on my NSX I would rather have someone doing it who has done it all the time, than pay for someone to learn it for the first time, or try remembering how he did it several years ago.

Certainly, there are other factors worth considering in choosing a mechanic: cost, warranty coverage, convenient location, etc. But the mechanic's experience with the NSX is tremendously important in maximizing the prospects of a successful repair/service.

In some areas (Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Orlando, Nashville, New York City, Boston), the most experienced NSX mechanics around are independents; in others (including Philadelphia, Chicago, Milwaukee, Sacramento, Dallas), the most experienced NSX mechanics are at dealerships which have developed a specialty in NSX service. Ask around for recommendations.

Autowave in Huntington Beach is frequently mentioned by folks in the Southland as a place where they take their cars, as is Applied Motorsports, in Oceanside, down towards San Diego. I would be comfortable taking my NSX to either one.

Da Hapa said:
Sort of.

Christian,

I envy you and your wife. She will drive the NSX too?

Autowave is a great spot I am sorry we have not had a club meeting there for some time. I am sure Shane is always glad to host a meet and dinner as well.

Tan

Shane and the guys know what they are doing. In addition to Mark Basch they are the top NSX tuners in the west. I had Autowave tune my SC'd 92 NSX w/ an AEM ecu...very thorough.

Jeff

Racerxjling said:
Shane and the guys know what they are doing. In addition to Mark Basch they are the top NSX tuners in the west.
There are a lot of good tuners in the West. In addition to Basch and Autowave, folks like Factor X and Gerry Johnson come to mind. I'm not sure to what extent other places, like Applied Motorsports or Foreign Affair, get into tuning; regardless, there are lots of good choices...

Autowave did my timing belt and waterpump last year, and I must say Marks crafsmanship is outstanding. You couldn't tell the motor had been out.
I drove 75 miles to have them work on my NSX. Any other major work my car needs will be done by them.

Back