• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Hyundai Supercar Rumor....

hyundai is doing amazing things, but they need to spin off a luxury division if they want to pull off cars like the equus and this supercar in America.

Even with the genesis sedan...I'm not sure why they went half-way by changing the emblem to that Aston-like one, but kept it under the Hyundai name.

I was just commenting to my wife yesterday that Hyundai and Kia have come a long way in the fit and finish of their cars. An older Hyundai (or Kia) drove by us today though, and she asked, "is that one of those Hyundais that is supposed to look like a Jaguar?" (Remember the Elantras from a few years back?)

Speaking of supercars, don't they own Proto motors or whatever that one car is made under with the mid-engined V8?

I think this will happen, I think it will be mid engine, and be a great car. Korea is the new Japan. It's already happened with TV's and electronics. Samsung and LG are crushing Sony and Panasonic. Hyundai and Kia will do it to Toyota and Honda.

I think this will happen, I think it will be mid engine, and be a great car. Korea is the new Japan. It's already happened with TV's and electronics. Samsung and LG are crushing Sony and Panasonic. Hyundai and Kia will do it to Toyota and Honda.

Totally agree on this except I think it may not be a great car in the first generation. What they have shown is they have the determination and long run vision to keep improving their products so I think they will get there. Just not sure it will be in the first generation.

Last edited:
Looks Hot! Not sure if people would buy a Hyundai supercar or not..but it looks pretty sweet.

I was walking across the parking lot at work the other day as a Kia Sportage went past. I thought it was a sharp looking little truckster, and then did a double take when I noticed the Kia badge.

This has happened a lot lately with Hyundai and Kia products- they are building better looking cars than Honda that is for certain (the Crosstour is poop on wheels)

I sold Kia once upon a different career, and was left with a nasty taste in my mouth based on my perception poor build quality- the old Sephia felt like it was made out of recycled tin cans, and the Sportage had a similar powerband to my daughters Power Wheels. During that time I also sold Hyundai, and I would always try to steer the dollar conscious Kia customers into a Hyundai in order to get the 10yr 100k warranty- but even with that said, I don't recall Kia ever being a warranty problem. They broke, but their regional reps were always quick to eat the repair costs if it was a quality issue.

Hyundai was the same regarding coverage- I even recall them eating repair costs on cars that were out of warranty.

I'm guessing that philosophy has translated into a much improved product line from a quality standpoint. Now Hyundai is going to pull a Honda move and build an Exotic? Might be worth while to wait and see how it comes out before I go placing judgements.

Last edited:
i think it would be cool and while some are resistant to the idea, others don't care as long as its fun to drive and looks nice. the whole Ferrari vs. NSX thing. while many of you still long for a Ferrari, i'm happy with the NSX... so i have no problems with the idea. problem is it shouldn't cost as much as other supercars... the $80k figure is too much for a Hyundai. the Equus is at around $65k and that sounds about right where the supercar should be. although at that price, it better murder the Z06... as just barely undercutting it isn't gonna work if it doesn't.

I am constantly getting more and more impressed with what Hyundai is putting out.

Is it just me, or is deja vu all over again? I mean isn't Hyundai doing, almost exactly what Honda did a couple of decades ago?

1: Start a motor company from nowhere.
2: Be the butt of every automotive joke.
3: Produce very inexpensive vehicles with the focus on value.
4: Continue to improve and advance while the manufacturers you aspire to, stagnate.
5: Grow beyond inexpensive economy cars, and focus on higher end sports and luxury, all the while providing comparable cars for less than the established manufacturers.
6: Produce a flagship, mid engine sports car to show the world you can compete with the best of them.
7: Actually become a well recognized, quality manufacturer.

Haven't we've seen this script before? Looks like Hyundai is round step 5, working their way up to 6.

2011_kia_optima_showfloor_10_cd_gallery.jpg

2011_kia_optima_showfloor_12_cd_gallery.jpg

2011-Hyundai-Elantra-Avante-001.jpg

kia-sorento-xm-2010_grey.jpg

Versus This:

2010-honda-crosstour-ex-l+_33_.jpg

honda-pilot-3.jpg

2011-Toyota-Corolla-Fronte.jpg

Who is designing cars in Japan? Smokey Robinson?

They even ruined the Civic this year.

Who is designing cars in Japan? Smokey Robinson?

They even ruined the Civic this year.

Last I heard Acura's design folks are in Irvine, CA but that was a few years back. So I wouldn't be surprised if they had a hand on the Honda shapes as well. Maybe a state of too much medical MJ and MBA's? I kid I kid. :wink::tongue::biggrin:

Hyundai to develop V8 Supercar

Rumor: Hyundai Supercar Is on the Drawing Board

By Scott Oldham, Editor in Chief | Published Jul 11, 2011

Just the Facts:
-This story is entirely based on rumor. Inside Line has been unable to confirm any of it.
-Hyundai is working on a supercar to rival the Chevy Corvette Z06, Nissan GT-R, Jaguar XK, BMW 650i, Porsche 911 and Cayman.
-The Hyundai supercar would be powered by the company's new all-aluminum 5.0-liter V8 used in the Genesis R-Spec and Equus sedans.
-Front and midengine designs are being considered.

SANTA MONICA, California — There's a rumor running around the auto industry's hallways that Hyundai, the South Korean automaker that recently began kicking everyone's butt, is working on a V8-powered supercar that would cost between $80,000 and $100,000 and take on some of the most storied performance machines on the road, including the Nissan GT-R and the Porsche 911.

It would be a coupe, according to the rumblings, and its owners would get the same perks as buyers of the Equus sedan, including an iPad owners manual and pick-up and delivery service when the car needs servicing.

But Hyundai CEO John Krafcik says there is no supercar in the works. "No, no," was his response when we asked him about the rumor, which he called "scurrilous nonsense."

Still the rumors persist. We hear front engine and midengine designs are being considered, but the only engine in the plans is the company's new all-aluminum Tao 5.0-liter V8 that is now powering the Genesis R-Spec and will soon be under the hood of the larger and more expensive Equus sedan. It's a bored-out version of the 4.6-liter V8 bolstered by direct injection and a higher compression ratio. In the Genesis R-Spec sedan the engine is rated at 429 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque.

If the supercar becomes real, the V8 will power the rear wheels only. Because of cost and weight, all-wheel drive probably isn't being considered. But the real question is: What transmission would Hyundai use?

Purists will want a true manual with three pedals, but Hyundai only has one and it's the six-speed used in the much less powerful Genesis Coupe. No good, speculation is that the transmission can't handle the torque of the V8. The market will demand a twin-clutch automanual similar to what the company uses in the upcoming Veloster hatchback. But that unit isn't suitable for a rear-drive V8 supercar. So the question remains.

Hyundai should do it. Krafcik definitely has the guts. But does Korea?

hyundai_f34_ns_70711_717.jpg

hyundai_f34_ns_707112_717.jpg

Re: Hyundai to develop V8 Supercar

I was thinking of closing this thread as there's another one mentioning this "rumour" within the Off Topic Section however, it does add a different story and pics.

Of which doesn't the orange concept photo make you think of a more modern 280zx?

I am constantly getting more and more impressed with what Hyundai is putting out.

Is it just me, or is deja vu all over again? I mean isn't Hyundai doing, almost exactly what Honda did a couple of decades ago?

4: Continue to improve and advance while the manufacturers you aspire to, stagnate.
5: Grow beyond inexpensive economy cars, and focus on higher end sports and luxury, all the while providing comparable cars for less than the established manufacturers.
6: Produce a flagship, mid engine sports car to show the world you can compete with the best of them.

Haven't we've seen this script before? Looks like Hyundai is round step 5, working their way up to 6.

+1
This is exactly my thinking.

It is sad, but I would be willing to bet that Hyundai will have a supercar out before Acura does and Hyundai will probably be more daring with theirs.

Re: Hyundai to develop V8 Supercar

I've never liked brands like kia and hyundai, but I have to give credit. This looks awesome.

And hyundai is smart. Their cars have been known as pieces of crap that people assumed would break all the time. So what did they do? They were the first? to make a free 100,000 warranty.
They knew people were afraid to buy in this economy so they made the 'lose your job' buy back program.
They knew resell value of their cars was stopping some new car sales, so what did they do? They created a guaranteed trade in program.

Every major flaw they have, they address it. Maybe not head on, but it gets addressed.
It seems like a company filled with realists instead of just optimists.

Last edited:
I would rather walk then drive a H made anything.

but if that supercar was given to me then i would drive.

as for H passing Honda in the future maybe so But I am old school and Loyal to my favorite brand of cars.

what the real problem is that people now-adays have no loyalty, would jump ship for 2 dollars more an hour. even though they have been with your for years. its sad.

Honda is a proven company for reliablitly thats why 286 computers still run our Aircraft carriers, proven technology no need to reboot during multiple targets on the radar

but i do agree Honda needs to think outside the box to get some better looking cars, their line up really never changes same style same look

Last edited:

(List continues)
8. Let the flagship slip away through negligence.
9. Slowly settle into the position of a company that plays it safe with the bottom line making appliance-type people haulers, while forcing the initial core of enthusiasts to go somewhere else for their stirring rides.

I hope Hyundai makes a mid-engine flagship. Honda won’t.

I agree with this, well said!

Iwhat the real problem is that people now-adays have no loyalty, would jump ship for 2 dollars more an hour. even though they have been with your for years. its sad.

There is also being loyal to a fault. All of my vehicles, cars and motorcyles have been honda. But of late I just can't stand their designs, they are stale compared to the competition. Should I drive a stale car because my loyalty lies with Honda I don't think so. Honda needs to recognize that they are failing as a car company and change the game plan. I work for an OEM company, I can't pump out crap and not expect to lose companies. In my business companies want the best they can and at the best price. Not an easy balance but the vision is slightly different, some customers are short term Capex focused others are driven by long term capital gains. Car markets slightly different, but loyalyt analogy is the same.

6: Produce a flagship, mid engine sports car to show the world you can

I couldn't have said it better myself. Remember the Hyundai Tiburon?

Hyundai-Tiburon1.jpg

Not a great car (had a V6 from their SUV), but it showed their enthusiasm for the sports car segment and they gained a lot of valuable experience in the process. Now the Genesis Coupe is a real contender and well talked about by all the automotive journalists.

130_0902_23_z+2010_hyundai_genesis_coupe+rear_side.jpg

Honda/Acura feels a bit lost these days. All they seem to do is 'play it safe' to try and hang on to their old Civic & Accord customers. Without a new infusion of excitement, their market share will slowly erode over time.

Last edited:
Looks more like an Aston Martin copy.

white-aston-martin-db9.jpg

Whats the problem with that? Slap a 4-500 V8 and the 7speed auto or stick and I will take one.................:cool:

Back