• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I got f'd...what do I do?

What steveny is saying is correct.

Auctions run cars as follows:

Green light = ride and drive
White light = Auction or sellers gurantee
red light = as is
Yellow = always accompanied by one of the above lights means they are announcing an issue

If by auto check or another source the auction finds a major wreck and or frame damage of any sort they will post say green light/yellow light and announce previous frame damage.

I have gotten bought back around 9 cars in 10 years in this business. It is VERY possible that the auction did not see the frame damage on the autocheck thereofore did not announce it. I just had this happen on a VW bug. Thanks god a dilligent customer brought this to my attention and I immediately called the auction because it was on carfax and autocheck. They bought it back with no questions asked.

One car did not get bought back. It was simple. the autocheck and carfax report of the frame damage was not reported until after the car was bought by me at the auction. I understood that and there was nothing I could do. It was no fault of the auction and I missed the previous paint work I guess..

Either way I sent it back to the same auction the next week and announced it as previous unibody damage. End of story. Yeah I lost about 700 dollars but its better than selling a car that I know has been hit.

Brian...I must say you are the exception to the rule in the world of used car dealerships. :biggrin:

When you taking me to the auctions with you?

Brian...I must say you are the exception to the rule in the world of used car dealerships. :biggrin:

When you taking me to the auctions with you?

You have my number anytime is good.. But remember you will be a horrible used car guy if you start doing this:biggrin::biggrin:

Live in Mo and bought it in IL so will have to check lemon laws for IL but not sure how it works in my situaton with out of state transactions. I have some updates, but I am waiting to hear back from the dealer. I think I am close to a resolution and hopefully the dealer will do the right thing.

Wow. So much has been said in this thread, alot of it being very disappointing things said about used car dealerships. And I don't think anybody here but me noticed that we are not even talking about an independent used car dealer, we are talking about a NEW car store's used department. So basically they are trained and work for the same people that sell you new cars from that location. So I guess that means every dealership out there whether they sale new or used is scum of the earth:rolleyes: But I bet nobody here has went to a Dealership and traded in there piece of shit vehicle and not disclosed known problems with there trade. Having the attitude f**k em, if they don't figure it out before I can sign the papers then they are stuck with that POS!!! It goes both ways ya know!!

As far as the Salesman knowing wheather or not the car had been damaged previously. How the hell would he know??? The dealership has a "buyer" that goes to the auction and does all the buying, not the freaking salesman! All he knows is that he is to go outside on his "up" and sale a car. If they burn though 250 used units a month then there is no way for the salesmen to keep up with every lil detail of every single car on the lot. They are coming and going very quickly. Hell, Salesmen themselves jump around from one dealership to the next.

Crap, I had no intention of ranting because Brian did a great job addressing most of you but shit, there is some freaking knuckleheads on this forum.

As far as the OP, you have been getting some really shitty legal advice if no one has not simply told you to call the " Used Car Commission" in your state (actually, prolly there state)!!!!!!! Hello....!!!!! Let that man do his job. One phone call and this could all be over. He will take your statement then go visit them and pretty much strong arm them and they will buy it back. End of Story.

As far as the Salesman knowing wheather or not the car had been damaged previously. How the hell would he know??? The dealership has a "buyer" that goes to the auction and does all the buying, not the freaking salesman! All he knows is that he is to go outside on his "up" and sale a car. If they burn though 250 used units a month then there is no way for the salesmen to keep up with every lil detail of every single car on the lot. They are coming and going very quickly. Hell, Salesmen themselves jump around from one dealership to the next.

That was my point...I had the salesguy go to the buyer first and get the story on the car to verify his claims because I didn't want to take the salesman's word.

More updates...I have verfied without question that the vehicle had frame damage at one point that had to be repaired. Once they got the engine covers all off and showed me what was wrong, it was actually disturbing.

The good news is that the dealer/auction looks to be doing the honorable thing. They are finding me a replacement vehicle that is equal to or better than what I had intended to buy. It's not done yet, but things are moving in the right direction. Next week if we find something that satisfies me, then they will arrange to get my old POS and give me the new car...of course after PPI, carfax, and service history reports to back the new car up. :)

I'm sorry to have come off so strongly in my post about all the lies I get from car dealers, but in my experience I have never been blatantly lied to by any of the above mentioned professionals at the frequency with which I have been lied to by car dealers/service techs. In fact, a couple of friends in the new/used car business have told me that they were directed by management to be deceptive. That angers me, but doesn't surprise me.

+1 to this. It's not just on used cars. When we were directed to hide 'Window Etch' fees on the back-end of leases, I was done. The owner of the largest private dealer in the midwest directed over 40 of his finance managers to illegally hide this charge, and I was there. Lease contracts could hide this charge, purchase contracts could not. EVERY leased vehicle that went off that lot until I left had this built in charge - not one of them actually received the benefits of the 'Window Etch'. I was the 'finance guy'. What a joke - I was just a crook waiting for the next victim.

BTW - Doctors, Lawyers, etc carry huge liability and malpractice insurance and are regulated by the government in nearly every way. Car dealerships are regulated by an ST-108, and like every other business, the IRS. There's just no comparison. The only 18 year old doctor I've seen was. . . . Doogie? I think he was younger than that! But 18 year old car salesman? Plentiful.

BTW - Doctors, Lawyers, etc carry huge liability and malpractice insurance and are regulated by the government in nearly every way. Car dealerships are regulated by an ST-108, and like every other business, the IRS. .

Thats right, they carry Malpractice Ins, why is that? Its because they screw over more people and in much bigger ways than any car dealer can/does. Thats why they make a freaking Ins for it!!!!
Dealers ARE regulated by the Car Commission of there state. Its not like they just get to run wild.

Thats right, they carry Malpractice Ins, why is that? Its because they screw over more people and in much bigger ways than any car dealer can/does. Thats why they make a freaking Ins for it!!!!
Dealers ARE regulated by the Car Commission of there state. Its not like they just get to run wild.

They carry the insurance because they deal with people's lives, not car deals. They are paid loads of money because they take risks with lives, not car deals. Their opinions save lives, and sometimes take them. There is no cost of a life like there is a car. Again, no comparison.

They carry the insurance because they deal with people's lives, not car deals. They are paid loads of money because they take risks with lives, not car deals. Their opinions save lives, and sometimes take them. There is no cost of a life like there is a car. Again, no comparison.

What if the car were repaired poorly and was again in an accident that killed the occupants? What if the dealer knew about the repaors done poorly?

Really what this thread is all about and other threads like it is...who can waste the most amount of time. It's one of the parts I hate and at the same time love about RE. The squeeky wheel gets to squeek for 15 minutes. If it doesn't stop squeeking with ease then it get the ax not the grease.

+1 to this. It's not just on used cars. When we were directed to hide 'Window Etch' fees on the back-end of leases, I was done. The owner of the largest private dealer in the midwest directed over 40 of his finance managers to illegally hide this charge, and I was there. Lease contracts could hide this charge, purchase contracts could not. EVERY leased vehicle that went off that lot until I left had this built in charge - not one of them actually received the benefits of the 'Window Etch'. I was the 'finance guy'. What a joke - I was just a crook waiting for the next victim.

BTW - Doctors, Lawyers, etc carry huge liability and malpractice insurance and are regulated by the government in nearly every way. Car dealerships are regulated by an ST-108, and like every other business, the IRS. There's just no comparison. The only 18 year old doctor I've seen was. . . . Doogie? I think he was younger than that! But 18 year old car salesman? Plentiful.

WOW you actually did what they told you to??

Now that is wrong! I would have taken that right to the dealer licensing dept of my state without question!!
Whay would you do it? Why did you do it if your so rightous in your words here claiming that dealers are crooks? Your no better if you actually performed the illegal action!

And just so you know car dealers have the same insurance. In order to have a car dealership in ohio you have to belong to the state title/bond commission to obtain a license. Most jobs such as sales etc.. will need some sort of e&o insurance. I am a realtor also and carry it. It is not just doctors/lawyers etc.

That was my point...I had the salesguy go to the buyer first and get the story on the car to verify his claims because I didn't want to take the salesman's word.

More updates...I have verfied without question that the vehicle had frame damage at one point that had to be repaired. Once they got the engine covers all off and showed me what was wrong, it was actually disturbing.

The good news is that the dealer/auction looks to be doing the honorable thing. They are finding me a replacement vehicle that is equal to or better than what I had intended to buy. It's not done yet, but things are moving in the right direction. Next week if we find something that satisfies me, then they will arrange to get my old POS and give me the new car...of course after PPI, carfax, and service history reports to back the new car up. :)

Yep damn car dealer is screwing him!! I bet they did not know it was hit.. If they did they suck however they probably did not know. If the buyer still has a job I will be suprised!

Yep damn car dealer is screwing him!! I bet they did not know it was hit.. If they did they suck however they probably did not know. If the buyer still has a job I will be suprised!

The buyer at the dealership is one of the lead managers so I am sure he will have a job He is basically pushing this off to the Manheim people to take care of because it was not disclosed and should have been. As long as it is done, I don't care and if I get a better car in the process than what I had intended to buy, then all the better.

Here is the deal...the auction looked for another Infiniti to replace my wrecked one and there wasn't much to choose from this week. We can try next week.

In the meantime, I thought of other cars that I would be interested in besides the Infiniti and came up with a few. (Merc CLS500, BMW 530, and possibly a 2008 CTS...not as interested in that though) The place I bought it from has a clean 2007 525XI with 18k miles on it that I could do an even trade and I am wondering if this is a good deal. The cost is about $29,600. Of course before I do this, I would need to get an inspection done and carfax, but so far the service history looks good. The BMW doesn't have NAV but has everything else.

The problem that I have is that the longer I wait for the auction, the harder it is to replace plus not sure what they will find and if they find something that is available for auction. Hmmm...what to do.

The great news is that the dealer is being extremely cool about everything. :)

Here is the deal...the auction looked for another Infiniti to replace my wrecked one and there wasn't much to choose from this week. We can try next week.

In the meantime, I thought of other cars that I would be interested in besides the Infiniti and came up with a few. (Merc CLS500, BMW 530, and possibly a 2008 CTS...not as interested in that though) The place I bought it from has a clean 2007 525XI with 18k miles on it that I could do an even trade and I am wondering if this is a good deal. The cost is about $29,600. Of course before I do this, I would need to get an inspection done and carfax, but so far the service history looks good. The BMW doesn't have NAV but has everything else.

The problem that I have is that the longer I wait for the auction, the harder it is to replace plus not sure what they will find and if they find something that is available for auction. Hmmm...what to do.

Get the CLS AMG. every day will = :smile:

Get the CLS AMG. every day will = :smile:

The whole point is an even or near even trade. :) The CLS AMG is probably another 20k. ha, ha.

Do you think the 525XI is a reasonable trade?

I'm shocked that they could not find an M for you. There should be plenty out there. Hmmmm....

I'm shocked that they could not find an M for you. There should be plenty out there. Hmmmm....

06's yes. 07's probably, but not the M45 sport that I have. I would accept an 08 M35x but no x's last week. One theory is that dealers are not wanting to take the loss in this fiscal year so the selection was poor this week. Not sure about that, but I want clean, clean too.

As far as the small motor of the 525XI, it has 215HP which isn't great, but at this point, I just want something of quality that is a good clean car at a good deal. I am starting to wear down a bit I guess. :)

06's yes. 07's probably, but not the M45 sport that I have. I would accept an 08 M35x but no x's last week. One theory is that dealers are not wanting to take the loss in this fiscal year so the selection was poor this week. Not sure about that, but I want clean, clean too.

As far as the small motor of the 525XI, it has 215HP which isn't great, but at this point, I just want something of quality that is a good clean car at a good deal. I am starting to wear down a bit I guess. :)

Don't settle or you will be trading the car in at a loss sooner than you want to. There is nothing better than disposing of a bad situation as long as it doesn't lead to a worse situation.

If you want i can pm you my manheim login(only cause you are from the Lou:cool:) and you can search the country for yourself. Remember all clean cars are selling high now so dealers can have good stock for tax season. The auction is a place to SELL at this time of year. But there is surely another clean m45 within a reasonable shipping distance to st.louis. Most Manheim auctions have a highline sale once a month.

If you want i can pm you my manheim login(only cause you are from the Lou:cool:) and you can search the country for yourself. Remember all clean cars are selling high now so dealers can have good stock for tax season. The auction is a place to SELL at this time of year. But there is surely another clean m45 within a reasonable shipping distance to st.louis. Most Manheim auctions have a highline sale once a month.

sent you pm...explain why the clean cars selling higher than normal right now to me. What is so important about now and why is it good for dealers? Usually the winter is the worst time for dealers and they want to do what they can to make a buck.

Back