• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

I just won an eBay auction for this car - Need advice JH4NA2167VT000020

Hi Guys,

Yeah I should have been on here reading a long time ago before I got excited and bid and won an auction on what looks like a "questionable" NSX that keeps showing up.

Yes this is that Blue '97 that used to be a Targa and is now a coupe. I saw the original message from 2002? When it was being sold in Georgia.

Here is the eBay auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...d=1,1&item=4560890977&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT

The VIN is: JH4NA2167VT000020

I really really want an NSX.... I have been dreaming about one since my I got my license. So I maybe a bit biased.

I tried to call a place in Houston (where the car is) called Gillman Acura to see if they have an NSX tech that can do a PPI. Is this something that they normally do? How much should I expect to pay. I figure someone that knows what they are talking about really should SEE the car. So far from the posts I have read, it has only been "seen" in pictures. The dealer claims the work to be done by Acura, but I doubt it, as he did not have any documented proof.

The auction has all the details I know, what I paid and the current condition of the car. What do you guys think? I have a deposit with him now pending my PPI. If I can't get Gillman to do it, what other options do I have for a PPI in Houston, TX? I am in NJ. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Re: I just won an eBay auction for this car - Need advice

Just my $.02, but if you can afford that one then you can afford a nice low milage unwrecked 91-94 coupe with maintenance records. That would be my choice every time.

IMO, that car is not worth more than about $30K, even if the repairs were done well. Since that has been questioned, it is likely worth less.

I love that car. I love the black & blue coupe. Best looking combination by far IMO. I'd own it, but not at the price you bid.

They give you an out if the car is not as described... Judging by what has been posted before on this car, I don't think yo will have a problem finding things not as described. Even in their attempt at disclosure the ad is somewhat vague... Simply check it out, if it is not as they described, hold them to their guarantee....

I agree with D. Hardy...
Except I wouldn't even pay 30k for it....

Gillman does not have a certified NSX tech., but Sterling McCall does.
This car just doesn't pass the sniff test. I would reccomend continuing your search. You'll be able to find a nice, non-questionable car here for that kind of money.

I've been waiting for this! First, remember you have the right to refuse the car if it is not as described!

On July 15, I sent the following e-mail to the dealer because I had reread the advertisement and I was fuming:

As a former owner of this car, I am offended at the description and promises you make for this car. Pristine? Flawless?? Not!

Just don't allow the new owner to roll back the rug in the trunk (he will see amateur repairs)

Don't allow the new owner to remove an A-pillar cover (its ugly under those covers!)

Don't allow the new owner to put the car on a lift (its impossible to mask the significant amateur repairs made to the frame).

You might want to test to airbags. Were they replaced when this car rolled? I don't know.

My husband and I compiled a complete history of this car when we owned it. There is absolutely no evidence that the transformation from t-top to coupe was performed by Acura. Two insurance appraisers considered the work to be shoddy and substandard. An authorized Acura dealer wouldn't purchase the car from us at any price, saying that the car had been rolled hard.

Pristine? Only on the surface! It looks like it has been repainted in the last year. Lipstick on a pig! You might look on NSXPrime regarding the title history we posted on this car. As we told you before, we collected a significant amount of money from a dealer bonding company who agreed that the dealer who sold us this car committed fraud.

Yes, I know .... I was fuming!

Think about it .... would you trust your life to this car? I wouldn't! If you need more details, please contact me.

Arlene

way to go thanks for the truth many appreciate it! the mystery car surfaces again! Damn! now what other car would go thru this many alterations, I guess any exotic?

Action / Explanation Date of Bid and Retraction
Retracted: US $50,000.00
Explanation: Cannot contact the seller Bid: Jul-08-05 11:11:13 PDT
Retracted: Jul-08-05 11:17:32 PDT

I like that. Retracted bid 6 mins after placing it?
Why does the seller hidE the bidders ID? So Prime members can't contact bidders?

run... don't walk from this nightmare.

ANYTIME said:
Sprint, don't run or walk from this nightmare.
Fly... oh, never mind.

If you still want a qualified NSX mechanic in Houston to look the car over, contact Brad at AutoLogic, who is frequently recommended by the Houston folks in topics such as this one.

Check the link from an earlier post: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6618

Some things would be hard to prove, but others wouldn't. Like: "Looks like discolored fuse box cover, missing weather seals behind headlight buckets, painted headlight buckets (black from the factory), painted radiator brackets (bare metal from the factory), missing rubber hood stoppers. Odd appearance all along the top of the firewall. Missing spare tire and spare tire bracket. (from his Picture 4 commentary). There are a lot of questions from that alone, and would probably get you out of the deal if you wanted.

It's true, the recent pictures do make it look really nice. Ohh well. I'm not sure I can claim the car isn't as described unless I see it or have it inspected. I will ask the seller. Just for fun, how much would you pay for this car knowing everything about it? I heard $30K.... lower?

I was going to put my name down for '06 Z06, when I finally convinced my wife, the dealer who had the largest alotment (over 120) had already sold out. :( I guess I'll keep looking thanks guys. I'm glad I found this place before it was too late!

Someone should buy it and part it out so nobody will have to go through this mess again!

MuadDieb said:
Just for fun, how much would you pay for this car knowing everything about it? I heard $30K.... lower?
It would be very difficult to accurately ascribe any specific value to this car.

Thanks everyone for your help. Yeah a Z06 is beyond my price range, it was a nice to think about. I can go about $45K and it has not been easy finding a clean '97 for that price. Has anyone seen one change hands for this much?

I will be calling the guy in Houston to express my concerns today. I can't go through with this after what I have learned here!

AK: that is one SCARY picture... isn't that the "run away bride"?

Well I just called Global Motors in Houston, and told them I can't accept the vehicle after what I learned. The guy was very cool about it and said he would credit my deposit back. Now I have to deal with my deflated bubble. I think I'll go and do my intake and throtle body mod to my Trans AM to keep my mind off this. Thanks all.

MuadDieb, why not check the classifieds on this forum? That is not the only NSX around.

MuadDieb said:
I can go about $45K and it has not been easy finding a clean '97 for that price. Has anyone seen one change hands for this much?
You should be able to find a clean '97-98 for $45-50K.

For example, right now on Autotrader there are 11 '97-98 NSXs listed with prices. Eight of them are already under $50K in asking price, and three of them are $45K or less. And you can usually expect to get $2-5K knocked off the asking price.

I don't have one for sale, and the usual caveats apply...

Stop wasting money on your Trans Am! Save for a comptech supercharger after you buy your NSX. :biggrin: Keep your eyes on the prize and stop worrying so much about instant gratification.

MuadDieb said:
Just for fun, how much would you pay for this car knowing everything about it?

Knowing everything about it? We hardly know anything about it! All that has been posted aside from the stories of misrepresentation is basically that it was rebuilt from a T into a coupe. No idea about what happened to it or the quality of the repair work that went into it. The initial pictures looked like a sloppy and cut-rate repair job so I would be concerned about the structural integrity but we don't know until someone who knows what they are doing pulls it apart to look.

There are a lot of NSX options better than putting more money into your Trans-Am.

Back