• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need help bad!!

Hey guys, I have a serious problem and need some help. I just received my new brakes from SOS so I figured I would install them today. After I finished, I decided to put a new battery in so I bought an Optima Yellow top battery and installed it. When that was done I installed a new main relay that I bought a few weeks ago. The old relay wasn’t bad but thought it might need replacing as the car is 6 years old and they are known to go out. Now here’s the problem, when I went to start the car I noticed my clock started to continuously circulate through the numbers and would not stop no matter what I did. Then the car started Idling erratically and you could smell gasoline. I shut the car off, waited a minute, then tried to restart in and it took several tries to get it going. I finally got it going and the same thing started happening again. I know the brakes have nothing to do with the problem, but is there something I did wrong when I installed the battery and the main relay? The mods on the car consist of a Comptech Supercharger with 9lb kit, header, exhaust, and APEX VAFC. The car is a 1999 and the settings on the VAFC have not changed. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get the car running right because next week I am suppose to take the car to Green light Honda Acura (2.5 hours from my house) to have it put on the dyno. Thanks everyone!!!

I would start with the simple things, like put the old relay back in, make sure your battery connections are good, (did you clean the terminals), and pull the clock fuse, resetting the ecu.
Just a start. :wink:

Not to insult you .....
Did you connect battery right way round? The yellow top does not come in a reverse configuration, which the NSX requires (although the non-reverse battery can be installed "backwards" to make the terminals line up)
Just check out to be sure that as you look into the compartment the +ve terminal of the battery is on the right as you look at it (left side of car)
I would have expected more problems however, lots of fuses blowing etc.

I believe swapped battery terminals would cause a big fuse to blow. Nothing would work anyways....

The clock cycling would lead me to believe you have a poor battery connection (or defective battery). Check connections. If nothing obvious: put old battery back in. Test.

It is probably depriving the engine management of power. Causing unburnt fuel and hard starting. Don't run this too long or you will foul your plugs and scrape your cylinder walls.

It is not a great idea to do more than one thing at time without testing first. Unfortunately for you the main relay controls the power to engine management.

Drew

Thanks everyone. The battery is hooked up correctly. I had to install the battery “backwards” to make sure the terminals were on the right side. I am going to pull the clock fuse now to reset the ECU and hopefully that will fix it. If it does not, I will start by putting the old main relay back in and testing it. Thanks again for all the advice and if anyone else knows what this problem is feel free to chime in.

Well I reset the ECU but the problem still persists. I then put the old main relay back in and that did not fix it. After that I put the old battery back in and still, the same problem. The car is now back the way it was before I had the problem and I still have the problem. Please help!!! This Sucks!!

You most likely bumped a harness out of place when you were doing the install. I did this in mt 944T while installing an alarm and it took me a while to find the ECU plug bumped out part-way.

Please check all electrical plugs in the areas you were working. Be sure the Molex ends are seated correctly.

There must be a simple explination here, unless you damaged th ecu while swapping the parts. Did you ground out a wrench into the body while replacing the battery?

Best of luck,

Back