• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

i need to replace my CV boots, any clear DIY?

I need to replace a CV boot also. Is there anywhere you can just buy the CV boot? My mechanic said he couldnt find any for sale.

I need to replace a CV boot also. Is there anywhere you can just buy the CV boot? My mechanic said he couldnt find any for sale.

I ordered mine through Dali. It was very affordable (much cheaper than the dealer) and it came quick and complete with everything including the clips and grease.

Why are you replacing the boots? Mine are OK on a 1991 with 120K miles. If they are leaking just repack the grease. Clean the boots with a good silicone spray and you're good to go. You can even reuse the bands if you take them off carefully.

I noticed one was torn. Normaly I would leave as is and just replace one boot. Boot I have recently been introduced to tracking my car and I want everything to be in top shape since I plan on driving my car to the track and back home in one piece. I have my garage and tools and I dont mind tearing her down for few days or weeks if I have to.

I noticed one was torn. Normaly I would leave as is and just replace one boot. Boot I have recently been introduced to tracking my car and I want everything to be in top shape since I plan on driving my car to the track and back home in one piece.

I'm with you. When I started tracking my car I went through all the mechanicals beforehand. When I removed the inside drivers side boot to repack the CV I found hundreds of little pieces of chewed up needle bearings. The axle never made a sound. I would also recommend replacing the thermostat if it's original and selecting a good set of track brake pads (they make a huge difference). Have fun, this is a great track car.

I just dont know how to remove axles from car on the NSX. I can do it but want to do it the right way without messing up alignment settings.

Is there a DIY to remove the actual axles?

I just replaced both of mine myself, fairly easy. I had it rebuilt locally, $100 for both, with new rollers, looks brand new.
As for the removal, down load the service manual from prime wiki if you have not already done so & go to chapter 16-1, follow all steps accordingly. Also make sure you mark the alignment settings on the cambers so you can put it back where it was.
* Note- Had to improvise & fabricate an Axle Pry punch with a wide angle made from a short rod of Rebar (side pic). Use a hammer on the punch & punch it in between the axle & the tranny to pop the axle's circlip, should come separating from tranny (made life easy cuz of this), then use a long screw driver to pry it all the way out. I also recommend replacing the seals on both sides of the tranny while you're at it, it should give you at least another 60k miles or more b4 the next change out.

NSX_Axle_Pry_Punch.JPG

DIY-Axle Pry punch

Old & torn cv boots

Fresh rebuilt axles

Last edited:
Used a breaker bar and extension...both broke. Went to replace them and went back home and broke both again.

IMG_20120812_163821.jpg

Best way to get nut off: Soak with PB Blaster, pry punched area of nut out of the keyway, then use an air impact wrench. Tough if you don't have air tools, but I'd try to borrow one. Came right off, even with my cheap Northern tool one. It wasn't budging with a breaker bar. Best to have wheel on ground with center cap off. This keeps wheel from spinning. Old '91 wheels have big enough opening in center, not sure about others.

Last edited:
buddy is bringing a bigger 3/4" driver from work. I have air tools but my impact wont get it off.

Give it another try with wheel on ground and PB Blaster overnight. Run the impact on it for longer than you might think. At first it didn't budge, but then it slowly started moving...

Thanks everyone that helped me and sending me DIY's. I really appreciate it.

Looks like fun. I'm getting ready to do mine for the first time. Is there a DIY that's being sent around? Any additional help would be very much appreciated.

I was breaking tools left and right trying to get off the crank pulley bolt since someone over tighten it. Some good tips here and I think I'll go ahead and marinate/soak the nuts ahead of time.

Good luck breaking the nut off.

OK, so I finally removed out of axle. CRAZY how easy it is when you pry evenly. I cocked one side in with screwdriver then went on other side of it and with a pry bar i gave a quick tap and it poped out. When I removed axle from tranny (driver side) I saw this round metal spring looking thing come out with it and it looked damaged. Can someone tell me what that is and where I can get a new one?

IMG_20120814_144244.jpg

Thanks

This might be a bit late in feedback, but for tracking needs, you might consider the repacking services/products offered by DrivingAmbition. Shad uses several different grades of packing lube designed for track purposes.

OK, so I finally removed out of axle. CRAZY how easy it is when you pry evenly. I cocked one side in with screwdriver then went on other side of it and with a pry bar i gave a quick tap and it poped out. When I removed axle from tranny (driver side) I saw this round metal spring looking thing come out with it and it looked damaged. Can someone tell me what that is and where I can get a new one?

Thanks

I'm actually doing L&R CV shaft overhaul right now. The spring is from the the inside drive seal. It sits on the inside lip channel & helps keep constant seal around the shaft while in operation. Buy new L&R seals and the spring comes installed with them. Btw Kaz over at NSXCB did an excellent writeup of DIY.

If you look to the new seal to the right of the pic you can see the shiny new spring on the inside lip.
a0686aea5e119bd044a261b328a055822549438c55832bb3e9930e7c5bfabba06g.jpg

New Seal installed in place, use a large socket and gently tap it into place. I put a light coat of transmission oil around the outside to help it slide into place.
d379a0272dc957e69fb3e144041bab55fa34d764ce9ae372a33412404f66a2566g.jpg

Nasty 20yrs+ grease:
1052924be3c710c5cacbe3ccd59e8902064b7116786f6c77d5dcd93160cfbb5a6g.jpg

Making note of each roller & position:
cd54370b4737e4149a92c3a756aac691091589b6d4ac1e21d248893c484a9ad56g.jpg

Last edited:
Back