• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I was carjacked

OK, I'm a Canadaian (ex Marketer) who had offices in the USA and spent part of a week there for years.

Here's my observation about Americans and guns (I know some of you will hat eme for this - thats an American trait too!)

Americans (and not all, but a Vocal Minority) are for guns, guns and more guns everywhere. It is an attitude that says that you should punish hard to "teach people a lesson". Funny thing, you wouldn't use that approach with a child - but seem to think it will work with people who are hardened by life or just desparate (like junkies, or the terminally poor).
Criminals get their guns by stealing them - the more guns around the more theft of guns - I'd bet my car that if they ever caught Rogers 'jackers they'd have stolen weapons on them.
Allowing more and unrestricted weapons in a society actually just escalates matters. If everyone is allowed to carry a gun in their car there can only be two bad consequences:
1) More guns will be stolen out of cars (bad)
2) Some guy who is having a bad day and gets cut off will end up being a criminal by shooting at the guy - its hard to have somehting that is designed to empower you (a gun) and then be put in a situation that you feel powerless and then not react, its a scientific fact, there have been dozens of studies, the most significant one the Standford Prison Experiment - look it up if you doubt me!

In Canada we have fewer hand guns, a requirement to seperate the pieces when we take them in a car. I always remind myself when driving into the USA (or in the USA) that I better not give the guy in the passing lane the finger when he refuses to move over, and that if I get a light rear end tap I shoudl consider staying in my car, and, and, and....

I never worry about me or my car's safety in Toronto, one of the largest citys in North America - I don't worry because most of the criminals aren't armed - therefore I am on an equal footing to them, and therefore they don't bother trying.

Sadly, its too late for Americans, your criminals are already armed! The only answer now is to control the bullets (Chris Rock says if bullets cost $5000 each there would be no such thing as an innocent bystander!) and don't allow those crazy "anyone can have a gun in their car" laws since it only serves to make it more likely that more and younger bad people will get guns.

Just my .02,

Back