• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm too old becouse its too loud

Hi All,
Currently running a Flowmaster 80series muffler on my otherwise stock 2000. It was great for a while, but now its just too loud. I do DD my NSX so I'd like to organize something quieter while hopefully avoiding putting the stock boat anchor back on (I'd have to find one for sale to do this in the first place).

Yes, I've searched and I found the old CT seems to be noted as being quiet. The new one is said to be more aggressive on the SOS site. This is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any suggestions/experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

If you want quiet then its either the comptech, RS-R, ARK(low and bassy sound), gruppe M version 1 which not many are around (4 total or so), DC sports and I think the HKS was on the quiet side as well.

Waking folks up at the retirement village huh? just kidding :biggrin:

You could try adding silencers but you would have to get someone (muffler shop) to make them for that exhaust. When i had a gtlw years ago i tried the silencers that came with it and they made quite a difference.

Mike

The stock exhaust is not really that heavy. If thats the sound you want, throw some real nice high quality tips on the stock exhaust and call it a day. Anything performance will increase the sound over stock.

The stock exhaust is not really that heavy.
Yup. If you aren't trying to annoy your neighbors, the stock exhaust works just fine. And you can probably find a used one quite inexpensively, from an owner who bought an aftermarket exhaust and saved the original one.

I have the comptech and love it. The sound is sweet, the way the NSX should sound. You can listen to it anytime, just let me know.:wink:

I disagree i think the gtlw is what the car should have sounded stock :p

I vote for stock too with tips that will fit your car appearance wise.

Go loud (my setup: GTLW, CT headers, Titanium straight pipe) or go stock (home).. jk

After a year of gtlw with headers and test pipes, my perspective of what "loud" means has changed a bit. :biggrin:

Eh? Say again! I can't hear you!
I am shopping for tips for my stock exhaust. Hate the look of the tips. Think the sound is just right.

i definitely know where youre coming from.

i came from a 993 with a fister stage 3 exhaust and that was just awesome how loud it was...got a loud exhaust on the nsx and while it sounded amazing when getting on the gas, it had terrible drone on the highways....put my stock back on and been happy ever since. that intake growl is enough for me :)

Yup. If you aren't trying to annoy your neighbors, the stock exhaust works just fine. And you can probably find a used one quite inexpensively, from an owner who bought an aftermarket exhaust and saved the original one.

I have my stock exhaust for sale and live in SoCal.
Wife wants me to get rid of it, so make me an offer. It comes from a 2003 and should bolt up with no issues.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156510

Last edited:
I am in the exact same boat as you. I wanted something that sounds better than stock but not loud or obnoxious. I found it. Pride V.2. Get with Mark. He is "addictedtoracing" on Prime. It is a beautiful work of art.

^^ To me the Pride is loud and obnoxious enough to not want it at all on a daily driver. Opinions will vary of course.

I haven't gotten rid of my HKS because I think sounds great though a bit restrictive. HKS, Comptech, ARK, DC, are all within the same decibel ballpark but you'll have to scour the used ad listings to find one. Dali has a DC replica that's interesting as well if you wanted something brand new.

If Adrian's OEM doesn't work out I have two newer gen stock exhausts in my garage I didn't end up using. What year is your car?

I heard the sound of the pride v2 on a recent nsx group drive, and IMO, me no likey. If you don't want to wake up the neighbors, the pride is not for you.

Thanks for all of the replies. Giving strong consideration to the stock one and thanks to Hapa and RYU it looks like it won't be as difficult to find as I thought. I too hate the stock tips up until 2002. Plus I would like to keep it as free-flowing as possible, but maybe that is impossible to achieve without drone.

It is the drone thats a problem. The flowmaster has a low pulsing drone that has really started to wreck my ears. Still sounds great WOT and somehow not as bothersome to the ears.

Sounds like :)tongue:) I need to go to some meets and and do some listening.

Thanks for all of the replies. Giving strong consideration to the stock one and thanks to Hapa and RYU it looks like it won't be as difficult to find as I thought. I too hate the stock tips up until 2002. Plus I would like to keep it as free-flowing as possible, but maybe that is impossible to achieve without drone.

It is the drone thats a problem. The flowmaster has a low pulsing drone that has really started to wreck my ears. Still sounds great WOT and somehow not as bothersome to the ears.

Sounds like :)tongue:) I need to go to some meets and and do some listening.

Yes you should. Monthly meet is the 5th and next drive is the 15th.:wink:

This is all very subjective info people have different opinions on what is loud and what is not. Headers play a big part as well, cats, no cats, high flow cats, test pipes. They all change the sound. Your best bet is to go to a local meet and listen to the different exhausts and find one you like.

Stock is the quietest, no doubt about that.
However, if my NSX came with the stock exhaust, I probably wouldn't have bought it.
biggrin.gif

Thanks to the CT header and Tubi exhaust, that just sealed the deal there.

I won't be at this Thursday meet, but if you ever want to hear a Tubi exhaust, let me know. I live 15 minutes away from South Coast Acura.

There's no droning at all, not loud, or raspy.

Finally put a stock exhaust back on. Wonderful for now. I can see why some think its too quiet, but for my daily driving it is a welcome change. Some day I'll probably see if I can find a happy medium between the Flowmaster and stock.

Here are the pictures of my 99 OEM muffler with the Mustang tips.I think they look better than OEM Tips.

Attachments

• DSC03547.jpg
    DSC03547.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 41
  • DSC03549.jpg
    DSC03549.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03550.jpg
    DSC03550.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC03551.jpg
    DSC03551.jpg