• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

In-Home Speaker Question (Ceiling mount)

Ugh - The thread was already closed. All of the good discussion threads always get closed or deleted, this sucks.

Anyhow, I don't consider my comment racist by any means, I'm responding to my opinion of a statistical fact. I don't know the true numbers, but I would assume its about the same in reverse for Romney. Overall, I really don't care either way and I'm not going to discuss it further, I just wanted to follow up on it here. :)

You still rock though.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting you are being racist. You were stereotyping. There is a big difference. One invloves hatred and one doesn't.

airplay (or a wireless equivalent) is a must nowdays.

i have airplay/appleTV for my

my kitchen 5.1
office 5.1
ensuite ceiling speakers
ensuite tv
theatre tv
family room tv

it makes music, video sharing super convenient and INEXPENSIVE.

the best part is how cheap, mobile and convenient it is to setup! no more running all the connecting cables/wires through the walls!

I'm curious of your setup. Do you use apple TVs for your spots? What do you use for amplifiers? I have (and enjoy) airport express feeding my stereo, but remember a friend who just used small PC speakers being fed from his 3 or 4 airport expresses. I really like the sound of a good set of speakers, my case a set of Boston Acoustics powered from a decent (old) Pioneer receiver. I use itunes to drive the airport express, usually from my computer, and (other than an iPhone) would like to find a small remote and / or some other way to feed the airport express. I believe the apple TV does that and comes with its own remote. For $100 it may be more economical than an airport express.

Miner

what is ensuite? I've never heard of this brand and I am in the business.

I'm curious of your setup. Do you use apple TVs for your spots? What do you use for amplifiers? I have (and enjoy) airport express feeding my stereo, but remember a friend who just used small PC speakers being fed from his 3 or 4 airport expresses. I really like the sound of a good set of speakers, my case a set of Boston Acoustics powered from a decent (old) Pioneer receiver. I use itunes to drive the airport express, usually from my computer, and (other than an iPhone) would like to find a small remote and / or some other way to feed the airport express. I believe the apple TV does that and comes with its own remote. For $100 it may be more economical than an airport express.

Miner

Miner I really don't get what you are trying to do or what your question is.

what is ensuite? I've never heard of this brand and I am in the business.

Ensuite is a master bathroom (or a bathroom connected directly to a bedroom).

Miner I really don't get what you are trying to do or what your question is.

MYW says he has airplay / apple TV for various rooms, and I'm looking for details how he controls / amplifies / sources the music. For example, I have 10+ gig of music on my network drive, and using itunes on my computer I feed my airport express that sends (analog) signal to my pioneer amp to speakers. An appleTV has its own remote and iirc it can directly access a shared music or video file. But it doesn't have speakers or an amp. I was curious of his setup.

And I was trying to get the thread back on track before it got closed.:biggrin:

Miner

Last edited:
LOL... nice job.

You can download "remote" and control your itunes with a phone.

You can also install more airport exresses in different rooms (although there are issues with this), you can use appleTV with a TV/speaker setup to also access the itunes library with its remote and the TV as an interface.

Airplay is good for one zone, it has some latency issues sonos does not have.

You can download "remote" and control your itunes with a phone.

You can also install more airport exresses in different rooms (although there are issues with this), you can use appleTV with a TV/speaker setup to also access the itunes library with its remote and the TV as an interface.

If only there was an app for my 8820 blackberry. Sigh. Works great with my wife's iphone.

I want a device that will accept voice recognition commands, play music in any room I want, thru good speakers with sufficient bass, and cost less than $100. Is that too much to hope for?

A buddy and I wired his house for sound a couple of years ago. 2 sets of in ceiling speakers in the dining area and living rooms (with independent volume controls) and 2 sets of speakers for the 2 outside patio areas. Plus 2 bi-directional stereo jacks (manually changed at the amps) for ipod / live music feeds. Ended up with 2 separate amps but it was a nice setup. Thankfully all the wires went up into the attic, which was easily accessible. 1 long drill bit and about 100 work hours, beer included.

Miner

If I took 100 hours to do such a thing I'd have to charge my customer $15,000. Needless to say I'd be out of business. What did you work with? Your feet? :biggrin:

Sonos is outstanding; the ability to have Pandora effortlessly streaming through the house is great. They keep things quite current too, you can access the trendy new Songza through it as well.

I have been running it for a few years now and have been 100% satisfied.

I love Sonos, the one thing at least for my application that is really lacking is streaming cloud based music, whether from Google or Amazon. I have heard that Amazon will have a solution for this, but I don't understand how that would work as Sonos does not provide an API and Amazon has no ability to do anything directly with the Sonos client.

Another issue (that I don't have) are people with multiple homes. In order to take an iphone or iPad between two different homes and control two different Sonos systems, the two systems need to be set up as the same physical Sonos network originally (ie install a Sonos unit from home #2 at home #1, then take it to home #2), otherwise you have to pair the controllers each time you move back and forth between homes.

Lastly (doesn't affect me), Sonos doesn't care for integrating with control systems such as Crestron or AMX or Control4. So people with those sorts of homes still need to use a separate controller for Sonos (there was a 3rd party solution for this but they've since canned the project. I believe there is an open source project in the works now, but that's not a great solution for integrators since you really get no support and can't count on reliability... so integrators can't realistically sell it).

Rob, if you have two homes, you just need to fork over a little extra cash and get yourself a dedicated controller or iPad for that house. For your phone, pairing takes like 10 seconds... And even an idiot can do it. I always specifically leave one sonos unit within reach and not in the rack for the pairing to be done easily.

As far as third party control controlling sonos, those customers are in a different category to me. An automated Crestron or savant home shouldn't be using sonos as the music system. It's just a different client. Sonos has definite limitations.

For streaming... You're right... But I use rhapsody and that is supported by sonos as is MOG, slacker, Rdio, etc. I'd think there are enough options unless someone is really tied into amazon. It is all politics BS though and I don't like it any more than you do.

Last edited:
For the issue about switching between homes, I agree it's "10 seconds", but clients would bitch about that 10 seconds and about how they had to pair 3 iPhones and 3 iPads and they just wanted it to work. I found a solution for that, and it works brilliantly, but it should come from Sonos, not me, and it shouldn't require that we have to visit both homes.

There are obviously other solutions than Sonos, we were using Request but the thing sucks and they have a non-standard implementation of Pandora so it was always breaking. Obviously lots of other choices out there, but ultimately we mostly gave in and just sold Sonos for the most part

LOL.. Thats because you are doing AMX. :biggrin:

So what is your "solution"? Do tell...

No we were doing Crestron. Just had to support old AMX customers, but we hadn't sold a new AMX system in a couple of years.

The 'solution' is when you set up a Sonos system in a home, the very first device generates a Sonos proprietary system ID. When you add another device to that network, it is assigned the same ID. So your Sonos controllers recognize a pairing with this ID. If it detects Sonos components with that ID, it will pair and you're good.

So what you do is when you have a second home that you're installing Sonos in, you take one component to the first home, add it (so it is assigned that system ID), then take it to the new home, set it up, then add all the other Sonos gear in the second home.

Now both your homes have the same internal Sonos ID for both systems and your controllers work in both places seamlessly. When the controller doesn't 'see' the Home-1 components in Home-2, it simply doesn't display them in the UI.

Cool. Thanks. Haven't had this scenario come up yet but that's a good solution.

Back