• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

inconsistent starting problem, not main relay

My car sometimes would star right up, sometimes it will crank but wont start on the first try. Always works on second try. I have change my main relay already about 6 months ago. What else can it be? I did search the forum but everyone points to main relay. I also have 1 yr old spark plugs. Before this no start problem occurs 20% of the time. Now is like 80%. Any idea?

Adrian

If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like your problem started after you changed your spark plugs. You might want to put an ohm meter on your coils to see if one or two are marginal (the resistance readings are on this site somewhere, I just don't remember what they are). The coils are known to cause problems on occaision.

Good Luck!

You may look at the igniter unit. I doubt it to be the ignition switch as the starter would not turn (was the case when I had a problem with it).

If you have an after market air filter, its probably time to clean your throttle body.

I had a similar problem, where the car would sometimes crank and not fire right away. After cleaning the throttle body, it seemed to elevate this starting issue. Previous owner had an UNI-filter installed, where I replaced for an OEM filter when I brought the car home.

From the air box, remove the piping that is connected to your throttle body. Check for "gummy" substance and sticky throttle plates. If it is dirty, spray some cleaner with engine off, let formula sit for a few minutes and wipe clean. Initial few starts would be slightly rough, but it'll go away after a day or two.

Link to Mobile DIY

Last edited:
If your car is '95 or newer (drive-by-wire) - then yes , it could be the throttle body , just had a car come in like this and after checking everything , I cleaned the T/B and voila!

Back