• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Installing GROM-BT3 for bluetooth

Hey everyone, hoping someone might be able to help me out.

I recently bought the GROM-BT3 with the HON92 cable in order to get bluetooth audio to my OEM stereo. It installs into the trunk just fine, however the signal from my phone to it is fairly bad. I get gaps in the audio and what not so not really a very good experience. With my tablet it's not quite as bad but I imagine it has to do with having the engine in the way and all the aluminum possibly blocking the signal.

I think I had read before that there's a way of mounting it behind the driver seat. Would this be possible? I didn't see the cable or anything when I removed the panel so I'm not sure if there's a connector there or not. I know the best experience would probably be if I removed the center console and installed it right behind the stereo but I'd like to avoid this if possible.

Thanks in advance

You should install it behind the drivers seat as described in the thread "Choosing an Ipod adapter" and that should give you perfect connectivity. Behind the seat there should be the CD changer cable so take a closer look again, you need to remove all the panels to get a good look. If not, someone may have re-routed it. Since you say it works in the trunk, just trace the wire back into the cabin and look for the cable junction and hook up there. If all else fails, just pull the console and plug your own new cable right into the back of the stereo. Below you can see where the cables should be, on the lower right next to the blue connector. Note: don't mount your Grom in that exact location because the panel will slightly hit it. Play around with it and there is plenty of room back there.

IMG_1263.JPG

Last edited:
You should install it behind the drivers seat as described in the thread "Choosing an Ipod adapter" and that should give you perfect connectivity. Behind the seat there should be the CD changer cable so take a closer look again, you need to remove all the panels to get a good look. If not, someone may have re-routed it. Since you say it works in the trunk, just trace the wire back into the cabin and look for the cable junction and hook up there. If all else fails, just pull the console and plug your own new cable right into the back of the stereo. Below you can see where the cables should be, on the lower right next to the blue connector. Note: don't mount your Grom in that exact location because the panel will slightly hit it. Play around with it and there is plenty of room back there.

IMG_1263.JPG

Thanks NRG TRADR, that's the picture I was looking for. I didn't realize that it was behind the side panel. Got that pulled open last night and installed my GROM. Works great, though I seems to need to reconnect my phone in order to get things working each time. That shouldn't be a result of the location though. Any reason why the location in the picture is a bad one? I tucked it behind the side panel, like you said, there's plenty of room back there.

It should pair immediately when you turn your stereo on. I would reset the BT connection verifying your settings are correct and try again, and make sure you have the latest firmware for the Grom etc. When I snapped that pic I believe the upper horizontal panel touched the box, so I moved it down a bit and it was fine.

question about this - does it let you use the stock head unit's next/previous track controls to control the music over bluetooth?

Back