• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is a RX-8 a consideration if you have to carry 2 more than the NSX?

I'm not really into 4 seat/door sports cars but I was wondering if any of you were considering a RX-8 as a daily driver or if you have to haul 4 people? I know some would simply get a BMW M3 but a NSX is quite flashy and keeping with that feel I figured the RX-8 might be closer to a NSX'ers style (Especially since great handling and light weight are two traits shared by both the NSX and RX-8.) Since I've brought it up do you think this RX-8 will work?

I haven't seen one in person yet, but I do not care for the pictures that have been published. One magazine called it the best looking car to come from Japan, and I just about died laughing.

Somethings about it say yes, others say no...

fc8b3879.jpg

fc8b3877.jpg

fc8b3873.jpg

fc8b3872.jpg

I like the 12000 and no redline?
fc8b3871.jpg

Thanks for the pics, the car looks pretty good, but I like the NSX better, and couple of my friends have the RX-7, and they told me that the rotary engine is easy to break down (they may mean other parts). I know that for overall, NSX is much more reliable than the RX-7. Hope that the RX-8 is better

That's some great pics of the RX-8! I feel beter about the car as long as I kept reminding myself that "IT is not a replacement for the RX-7." I should also mention that I ment this as a 2ND CAR AND NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR YOUR NSX.

Actually the rotery engine is VERY reliable. Turbo charging the car was the problem. I had a 94 RX-7 TT. It really only has 3 moving parts. The problem with it (And by it I mean the 3rd Gen)was that it was not designed to withstand the turbo charging especially after a few basic mods.
1) The Apex seals could get cooked very easily.
2) All the vacume hoses would/could come loose. It has a MESS of vacume hoses! They had to be glued and tied down.
3) The water cooler for the TT's was WAY to small.
4) The Cat was too restrictive. If you made it breath too freely you got boost creep.

The car got 12mpg unless ou drove it in 5th at 55mph.

For that reason there will prpbably never be another turbo RX. If there is going to be a 4th gen. It would get a larger engine.

how reliable in that thin driver seat to support the back in the case of accident?

My friend's Honda Civic front passenger seat broke when his car hit the wall on the highway ramp. His passenger was temporarily paralized.

Originally posted by insx:
how reliable in that thin driver seat to support the back in the case of accident?

My friend's Honda Civic front passenger seat broke when his car hit the wall on the highway ramp. His passenger was temporarily paralized.

OUCH.

Originally posted by Marvin Lee:
1) The Apex seals could get cooked very easily.
2) All the vacume hoses would/could come loose. It has a MESS of vacume hoses! They had to be glued and tied down.
3) The water cooler for the TT's was WAY to small.
4) The Cat was too restrictive. If you made it breath too freely you got boost creep.

The car got 12mpg unless ou drove it in 5th at 55mph.

For that reason there will prpbably never be another turbo RX. If there is going to be a 4th gen. It would get a larger engine.

I hear that the first things you should do to an FD are 'reliability mods' to make it run cooler and more reliable.

Also another reason why the old 13B's ran so dirty is because of the peripheral ports, the new Renesis engines have side intake and exhaust ports, consequently they run much cleaner, and more fuel efficient.

Lastly, I read in an article I forget where, but the lead designers for Mazda already said there is a 4th Gen Rx7 Due out and they will not turbocharge it. They will either add another rotor to the current Rx8 engine, or simply increase the displacement of the 2 rotor. I also remember them saying that they favored the displacement increase option.

I'm hoping though that when the 4G Rx7 comes out, tuners will take to it like the Rx7 of old. Rotaries have so much potential with turbo's.

It looks like a giant saab sonnet!or an early citroen from the side.

[This message has been edited by docjohn (edited 06 March 2003).]

I personally like the look - fresh IMO.

Regardless - it is innovative from the use of the Rotary to the first car to have the profile of a sports car and still be able to seat 4 6 foot adults and have 4 doors.

I dare any of you to sit in the back of any of the current 2+2 cars on the road. That said - I wouldn't consider it a replacement for a NSX as I don't perceive it to be a pure sports car - just like I have trouble calling an RSX or a BMW 3 series a pure sports car.

If you get one - let us know what you think as I have always admired the rotary engine and the Mazda cars that have used them.

I'm on RX7club.com They say the new RX-7 will have a 15B 2 rotor engine, just slightly increased displacement. Of course I'm looking forward to it because I'm a big fan of the rotary engine.

I think this car actually photographs better than it looks in real life. I saw it at the Chicago Auto show and really didn't care for it. Proportions seem different in real life, not sure I'm ready for the Saturn-style doors either. ( The girl on the display with it was perfectly proportioned by contrast.)

Originally posted by JimK:
The girl on the display with it was perfectly proportioned by contrast.

Nice! ROFL...did you snap any good pics on the pretense of photographing the car?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Marvin Lee:
I'm not really into 4 seat/door sports cars but I was wondering if any of you were considering a RX-8 as a daily driver or if you have to haul 4 people? I know some would simply get a BMW M3 but a NSX is quite flashy and keeping with that feel I figured the RX-8 might be closer to a NSX'ers style (Especially since great handling and light weight are two traits shared by both the NSX and RX-8.) Since I've brought it up do you think this RX-8 will work?

It would work...but a Skyline would work better..check out motorex web site.my next family car.with the 700 hp option
smile.gif

Originally posted by BadCarma:
It would work...but a Skyline would work better..check out motorex web site.my next family car.with the 700 hp option
smile.gif
My bad, its a two door, but hey kids are limber

Apparently C&D Magazine on speed vision thinks so. The just compared the RX8 to the Mustang SVT and the Infinity G35 coupe with the track package.

The RX8 was:
- the cheapest by 7k
- all 3 cars were within 1 second at the Streets of Willow Springs
- lighter by over 500 lbs then the other 2 (they weighed it at 2940 lbs)
- given a 10 in fun to drive
- was called the perfect car for track weekends
- knife like handling dynamics

They were really complimentary of all 3 and had great things to say about the SVT mustang - they were not expecting much from a 25 year old chassis.

I have only seen pictures - but live on the track it looked well proportioned and very capable.

Anyone have one on order? Would be cool to hear first hand from someone with NSX seat time some day to hear a comparison.

I know you said it but I'll be the first to say, get an M3 as a second car. It has great utility with a huge trunk and fold down back seats, good engine, nice ride and good gas mileage. I get 24 mpg averaging 53 mph according to the computer. I think that it complements the NSX rather well. The NSX is a very good sports car with excellent reliability and good looks. The M3 is a very good sports sedan with excellent reliability and good looks.

Originally posted by jorligan:
I know you said it but I'll be the first to say, get an M3 as a second car. It has great utility with a huge trunk and fold down back seats, good engine, nice ride and good gas mileage. I get 24 mpg averaging 53 mph according to the computer. I think that it complements the NSX rather well. The NSX is a very good sports car with excellent reliability and good looks. The M3 is a very good sports sedan with excellent reliability and good looks.

M3 MSRP: $48,195 - $56,195
RX8 MSRP: $25,700 - $27,200

per www.edmunds.com and my zip

Huge difference in price - but if price is not a factor I agree. For the money the RX8 appears to be an excellent value for the performance minded person.

------------------
Nick M

91' Red/Black with Many Mods
99' Honda Odyssey with Many Kids

Back