• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

is everyone here an iPhone lover?

Just wondering since I saw lots of posts about iPhone when it was coming out, yet not too much about Android.

Here's the latest disruption from Google.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGXK4jKN_jY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tGXK4jKN_jY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

anyone getting the Droid phone?

What's the feeling here about it?

No iPhone here. Don't see a need. I have an old phone and an old Garmin. They both work. But that's me, until both devices blow up, no reason to upgrade. "cool factor" jedi mind tricks don't work on me. :wink:

The Droid looks like an awesome phone. I'm not an iPhone h8r, but I can not type on a "virtual" keyboard. I need the tactile feedback of real keys. The Droid looks like it has a beautiful keyboard. Plus, Verizon's network blows away AT&T's.

Follow-up question: my wife is tied in to T-Mobile, and so if I go T-Mobile we get the "family" discount. No Droid on T-Mobile, but they do have the Cliq, which looks a little less business-like, but is perhaps feature comparable to the Droid. Anyone have any thoughts on Droid versus Cliq?

iPhone will always be a better seller because of how simple it is. Personally i dont like it since there are 20 better phones out there.

love my iphone and really love the app store.

the app store is what really sets the iphone apart.

If it only had a keyboard...

That's what I said until I bought one. I don't miss the keyboard on my old phone at all (Windows Mobile). I was an iphone hater too until i went to the apple store and actually used one. Like I told a friend of mine.. "I think your phone actually really sucks and you don't even realize it." He has a blackberry.

That's what I said until I bought one. I don't miss the keyboard on my old phone at all (Windows Mobile). I was an iphone hater too until i went to the apple store and actually used one. Like I told a friend of mine.. "I think your phone actually really sucks and you don't even realize it." He has a blackberry.

Well, Blackberrys do suck, so that's not saying too much.

I've tried the iPhone keyboard. I can't do it. I need a tactile sensation to type. Otherwise I'm just hunt & pecking.

that's what i said until i bought one. I don't miss the keyboard on my old phone at all (windows mobile). I was an iphone hater too until i went to the apple store and actually used one. .

+1...

I thought I would never get used to typing on the touch screen. Took about a week for me to adapt. You can't give it a fair shake in a 5 min session.

The keyboard is a non-issue for me now.

over the past 6 years or so i have owned nearly every style of phone there is. i'd say i changed phones at least every 3-5 months just because there was always something that nagged me about them, or i didn't like and i'd have to change.

i've had big phones, tiny phones, candy bar, flip, slider, palm, BB, winmo, you name it. i've been through at least 30 different phones between t-mobile, verizon, nextel and ATT. as of now i still have about 6 different unlocked GSM phones lying around collecting dust.

not a single one compares to my iphone. the only reason i bought another phone since was the upgrade from the 3g to the 3gs. yes its that much faster than the previous btw. i used to be an iphone hater and cracked jokes about anyone that had one, missed out on the first gen, and then i finally bought one. its just a whole different ballgame as far as i'm concerned. i dont even use the phone to its fullest. its not jailbroken(did try it for a time though). i still don't see myself using any other phone again because that's just how good this phone is compared to any other i've owned. its fast, its simple and yet it does so much more than any other handset i've owned without the constant problems(yes i know that some people have issues with it but i've yet to have any type of real problem).

i am in no way an apple fanboy. i do not own a mac and never will. i hate the itunes software for the most part. i've played with a few phones customers have brought in to my shop(G1, storm, pre). i still would prefer my iphone 3gs.

just my .02 folks. the best thing for anyone is to try a few out and use what suits you best!

Last edited:
Won't be long until someone writes an app for the iphone that works the same way. On the iphone Google maps are already available and so is GPS. This will be available on the iphone as soon as it needs to be.

Google vs apple.
Should be a good fight...

The main plus for google is it's running on a cell network that actually works. I can't believe people use at&t for their cell phone provider. Since I use my cell as my only phone, it has to work perfect.

Last edited:
The Droid looks like an awesome phone. I'm not an iPhone h8r, but I can not type on a "virtual" keyboard. I need the tactile feedback of real keys. The Droid looks like it has a beautiful keyboard. Plus, Verizon's network blows away AT&T's.

Follow-up question: my wife is tied in to T-Mobile, and so if I go T-Mobile we get the "family" discount. No Droid on T-Mobile, but they do have the Cliq, which looks a little less business-like, but is perhaps feature comparable to the Droid. Anyone have any thoughts on Droid versus Cliq?

Why not get the G1 from T-Mobile since you already have the service? It has a real keyboard and it will have the new Google Nav application in it since it's powered by Android.

I have no use for an I-Phone...I'm not into gadgets or gaming. I only use my cell phone to actually have a conversation....fancy that!

My wife and i are currently on AT&T, but my new job uses Verizon- I was very interested in an iPhone, but will now look more seriously @ the Droid since there is a perk for personal phones through work, and my AT&T contract is nearing it's end.

P

CLIQ - Has MotoBlur. Personally. After you get used to the messaging being put in one area.. it totally changes your view of the way u used text and email. I simply can't do without this Push system. It encompasses all, facebook, yahoo, hotmail, text, corporate email exchange. We have a load for the CLIQ without the Blur and I just can't use the phone without it. It is like meshing the ease with iPhone and BlackBerry. You can either look at an aggregate folder or individual account folders. The CLIQ is also fun and the Google Maps comes with voice search which is very helpful while driving. I too am not a virtual keypad operator, so I can't seem to get the hang of nonkeyboard. CLIQ is $119 right now @ Wirefly...
the phone configurations can be saved, as well as its contacts. It pulls in all your contacts from all your accounts. You can wipe it remotely if you ever loose your phone. And automagically put it on another phone by simply logging into your MotoBlur account.

DROID - when we were first developing this phone, I thought it was the ugliest thing I ever saw....LOL. But as it matured, it actually started looking good. It does not come with Blur, but google put facebook push messaging. It does have many upgrades, plus the their are separate processor for CPU and a separate one for Video. I don't understand why some people do not get this when they compare iPhone and Pre saying that they are disappointed that the processor is 550...Rubish, the other two do not separate processing for video! If you want balls out get the Droid, but it will require more phone savvyness and kind of geered towards trekkies or techies. It does have a 3.7" screen and one of the best resolution screens out there.

The DROID i believe is not trying to play to be like an iPhone. Its marketing to the other half who need more than simplicity. Honestly...without the APPs, I would be bored for iPhone. I just don't like the fact that i can't play my music and do other things at the same time. I know Android is still a little harder to navigate than the iPhone. I honestly speak respectfully to the iPhone crowd when speaking features. iPhone is very easy, it appeals to the masses. It really amazes me the cult like faces that i talk to when we are talking phones....I see some, somewhat threatened that the DROID is getting much talk...The iPhone really was a groundbreaker...but some companies have figured out somewhat a way to compete.

Back to the topic...
CLIQ for the ease of use and Social networking + ease of messaging. TMobile service spotty in some places. 3G coverage sparce at times. but comes with Wifi (yahoo and account type services not available on Wifi)

DROID for more serious phone features. comes with faster processor. Free Turn by turn navigation. Comes with Car and Alarm type features after purchasing car and home docs. Verizon network is really good as far as voice and data coverage is concerned, hence the more expensive charge for monthly coverage.

:wink:

Last edited:
I use to be able to drive and text with my old Blueberry Pearl and didn't see what all the fuss was about.
With mYphone, I swerve all over the road just getting to the text screen never mind typing. I can really see how accidents can happen with the touch screen.
I am a touchy feelie kind of guy though...lol.
I like my little apps i have downloaded like the gun and the Dyno and the weather channel app. and the guitar rock tour and the speedometer and the speed test and google earth and facebook!
Wish I could find a better video watching app with better control of things.
Trev
did this with the phone, so its not too bad all around.
It has crashed and locked a few times for me though...now that is scary.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VW7QScuDQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1VW7QScuDQQ&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I grabbed a droid when it came out. It was time to part ways with ATT and Verizon has exponentially better coverage in my area. So far, I'm pretty pleased. It's a fast little phone, you tube quality is great compared to iphone, the camera isn't 'bad', better than iPhone and having widgets on my home screen has been pretty neat.

The other line on my plan is attached to an HTC Droid/Eris. That's a nice little phone and much more portable than the droid. I've had fun stealing it to play around with every now and then, but it's definitely not on par with Droid.

I just got an Android phone, the MyTouch 3g and so far it's pretty good. I had an IPhone which I loved. I need to learn how to personalize the Andriod with the apps available. So far, most of the apps that I had for the IPhone are available for the Andriod. Both phones have their pros/cons. I guess after I use it for a few weeks I'll be able to give a review.

Back