• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is it me or does there seem to be way too much body roll?

383264_288584451178998_185851534785624_748350_1332860760_n.jpg

well if you think about it some of these cars have some pretty old springs/shocks and the oem sways are not too thick so yes the stock nsx does look like its going to tip over at the auto-x:eek: Now when you see the lowered guys with some unusual setups the car can look like its scraping bodywork/rubbing fenders.

well if you think about it some of these cars have some pretty old springs/shocks and the oem sways are not too thick so yes the stock nsx does look like its going to tip over at the auto-x:eek:

This is the end product of deferred maintenance on suspension......

205376546_znQKz-XL.jpg

And here is another owner who tracks his NSX............

206795722_VvECn-XL.jpg

Last edited:
"Too Much" in this case looks about normal for the stock suspension.... Running wider/stickier tires than stock (like you might for autocross) just exacerbates the roll.

I definitely have some good "on the doorhandles" pictures of my '92 from before I went to coilovers (with stiffer springs) and thicker swaybars.

Last edited:
Stock springs and sways are comfortably soft. Yours doesn't look too bad. Dialing in a suspension to different styles of driving is give and take from street to track driving. You take from comfort to give towards firmer/flatter handling. Suspension is the most important part of how a car handles.
Good Luck!

Stock springs and sways are comfortably soft. Yours doesn't look too bad. Dialing in a suspension to different styles of driving is give and take from street to track driving. You take from comfort to give towards firmer/flatter handling. Suspension is the most important part of how a car handles.
Good Luck!

Sway bars don't reduce ride comfort.

This is my car.
Eibach Pro-kit springs (progressive rate, so the first few inches of travel have a lower spring rate, then they "progressively" get higher) with Bilsteins Struts on the stock height perch. Tires are Dunlop Star Specs 215/40/17 front, 265/35/18 rear.
Also have a Type R front sway bar, stock 1995 rear sway (and Type-R front chassis bars, not that it makes much of a difference).

Fat guy in the right seat. :biggrin:
I'm in the passanger seat and weigh 185 lbs. The driver is my instructor and he's probably around 155 lbs.

Lastly, this picture is taken on a constant radius skidpad, so we're basically driving in a big circle going as fast as we can.

Here's a photo from the inside of the skidpad:
20110716-dsc_7132.jpg

And again on the outside:
20110716-dsc_7140.jpg

More pictures here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=1346

Last edited:
297874_186699324748481_181908788560868_404183_1018358847_n.jpg

My car with with SOS adjustable sways on their 'tighter' settings... All bushings replaced... Car is not lowered much.. only about 1" running an R compound tire.

This is from the outside of a 75mph right hand sweeper....

This is my car.
Eibach Pro-kit springs (progressive rate, so the first few inches of travel have a lower spring rate, then they "progressively" get higher) with Bilsteins Struts on the stock height perch. Tires are Dunlop Star Specs 215/40/17 front, 265/35/18 rear.
Also have a Type R front sway bar, stock 1995 rear sway (and Type-R front chassis bars, not that it makes much of a difference).
Typical Eibach/Bilstein problem of diving in the corner first and then move around it, even with the Type R swaybar. In addition, the Bilsteins have a lower damping force at body-roll velocities.

why so afraid of roll? :D

like others have already said... stock suspension + sticky race tires (hoosier A6) will lead to lots of roll. it is not a problem.

v

Attachments

• img_3926.jpg
    img_3926.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 87
Body roll isn't bad by itself except it takes the suspension time to reach the peak roll angle and during this time, the driver is feeling a constantly changing vehicle dynamic. This time is referred to as the time for the suspension to take a "set". In general, if the car takes a set quicker, the vehicle handles better, until it may be too stiff.

As Billy pointed out, the cg height and roll center location are the biggest factors effecting rolling moment. If you lower a car, the roll center may drop greater than the CG, and with no other changes, the vehicle actually rolls more even though it was lowered (especially with progressive springs).

I have always said that the biggest bang for the buck to an otherwise stock NSX is adding ARB's. They don't improve weight transfer (in fact they hurt it slightly), but they improve the "set" time dramatically and improve the driver feel and confidence.

Bob

Last edited:
For some reason, this question, plus staring at photos of your own car while it's cornering, seems kinda like asking, "Do these pants make my ass look fat?"
:biggrin:

I found in the pass experience, that if the car hold it's line well with your confidents behind the wheel. Than don't worry about body roll, but whether it handle well for whatever suspension you might have. Your laps times won't lie.
HAVE FUN!!!

One of my friends took his NSX to an autocross with improperly set up suspension, slammed, over-sized wheels and this resulted in a dented front fender from body roll. Ya gatta know what you're doing...don't just throw stuff on and expect things to just work. Another friend at the same event with all stock set up had better times and no issues.

Just sayin...

Back