• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is the 91 NSX VSS interchangable with any other Honda transmissions?

Before I order this little part from the dealer to fix my 'dropping dead' speedo problem on my 91, are there any other early 90s Honda cars that might have the same sensor?

Thanks in advance, sorry I searched but didn't find and threads specifying if there was an interchange part...

Just because I like talking to myself, and for the benefit of others who may search this in the future, the vehicle speed sensor OEM part numbers are:

1991-92 = 78420-SL0-505
1993-03 = 79420-SLO-000

And the parts diagram can be found here (part #7 is the VSS, 91 shown):

http://nsxpartsdb.com/img/parts/13SL00_021_2.png

I try to be quick to offer help where I can, but I honestly had no idea what a VSS was. :confused:

VVIS, ABS, CEL, BHP, AFR, CTSC, JDM, NA1, WOT, VTEC, you get the picture. :rolleyes:

There are too many TLAs in the auto industry.

Last edited:
Any luck I have the same problem with my 92 & seen on ebay a lot of them avalable but only for 93 & up there like $30.00bucks verses the dealer almost $200.00

Digging this thread up since the speed sensor for '93 - '05 can be found on Amazon for $11.99 rather than $105 from Honda. Reviews state the sensor works on various Hondas so I'll post back here when I have one installed on my '92 5MT. BTW, not affiliated with the seller just saving some $$$.

Part description:
"Reference Number # 78410-SV4-003 78410SR3003 5862039980
78410SV4003 78410-SR3-003 AW78410SV4
Brand New OEM Quality Speed Sensor Will Fit List The Vehicles Below :
Factory List Price is $ 130.98
Year Make Model Sub Model
1997 Acura CL
1993-2005 Acura NSX
1999-2000 Acura TL
1992-1997 Honda Accord
1992-1995 Honda Civic
1993-1997 Honda Civic del Sol
1995-1997 Honda Odyssey
2000-2001 Honda Odyssey EX
1993-2001 Honda Prelude
1997-2001 Honda Prelude Base
1996-1997 Isuzu Oasis
"

edit:
There's also a sensor on AMZN with a pigtail for '90 - '92 Accords and Preludes that looks very similar for only a buck more. Anyone know if it would work on '91 - '92 NSXs?

Reference Part Number # 78410-SY0-003 78410-SM4-003

edit 2: Success! I installed the pigtail-ed version from my previous edit and it works well. Speedometer is correct. Why not save $100?

Last edited:
And this is why I love owning an Nsx. On the way to nsxpo my speedo started behaving erratic then died. Then I got a check engine light. Did I freak out? No, because we've got nsxprime. While stopped in LA traffic I was able to diagnose the issue by searching nsxprime. Called the dealer in palm springs and was told no parts where available and no substitutes. Did I freak out... a little concerned... so back to prime. And voila yes there are substitutes. Found this thread, then went to a local auto parts store that night and went down the list above until they had one in stock. compared it to the pictures on prime and decided it was close enough to go forward with pulling mine and comparing the two. I pulled the sensor in the garage and yes Larry is right moving the emissions control until out of the way makes life so much easier. They were a match and the cable easily reached the plug without the pigtail.

Thank you everyone for your contributions! Another reason why owning a Nsx is so awesome.

Replaced speed sensor on my 92 NSX today

Used 78410SV4003 which cost less than $7 on line—30-minute install and works great. My 92 part had the wire pigtail—replacement did not—works fine—maybe better without the pigtail wires. 93-05 part has no pigtail but works on 91-92, and this part works on other Honda cars which I suppose is why it is so reasonably priced.

I just bought 78410 SY0 003 OEM ebay $10.48 del. I have a 1991

The VSS on the 91, 92 cars provides a speed signal to the odometer / speedometer, ECU and cruise control. If the VSS signal was really out of whack your speedo should be having issues and you would likely trigger a CEL with error code 17 (VSS). The VSS is a rather simple device which generates a pulse with a frequency proportional to speed. If the Speedo works and the ECU is not throwing a code then chances are that the VSS is OK and the problem with the cruise is elsewhere.

Get a hold of the free .pdf version of the 1991 service manual and check the section on the cruise control in the Electrical Section. In the section called input test it actually gives you a test to make sure that the VSS is giving you the correct 0-5 v signal. You can perform that test to confirm that the VSS is working. The wiring diagrams and functional tests for the cruise control in the manual should help you trouble shoot the problem with your cruise control.

If the cruise light on the stalk comes on, but nothing when the "set" button is pressed, check the old clutch and brake pedal buttons, first. That was my problem a while ago. The brake button failed years ago, and the clutch (not all the way up) button more recently. I'm pretty sure it is only used for the cruise control, and although it is a pain in the backside, neck, shoulders etc to change, it is a good starting point.

Well...I fixed the clutch pedal switch—still no cruise—I wonder if the NSX speed sensor maybe uses an additional wire that the Civic sensor doesn’t have?

Well...I fixed the clutch pedal switch—still no cruise—I wonder if the NSX speed sensor maybe uses an additional wire that the Civic sensor doesn’t have?

Probably a good idea to go back up to post 19 and do what Old Guy suggested. Then you'll know if your civic VSS is ok or not and can go from there.

Back