• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is this SerialNSX's Type R recreation? JH4NA21632T000186

How can you say that 0-60 in around 5 seconds and 1/4 in the low 13's at around 106mph is a real bargain? Again, I'm not saying the car isn't a great handling machine that brings the F1 experience to life for a decent price...but to say the car is a bargain when you look at performance numbers is a bit off. The point I am trying to make, is that because this car has remained in a vacuum while other cars have gotten better and better, determining what this car is worth becomes harder and harder. Is it worth what someone will pay? ABSOLUTELY. Is it a performance bargain at 100K, NO WAY.

I see them as a deal and bang for your buck simply because -

an 02 Z06 can be had for mid to upper teens..
an 02 NSX is still up in the 50's easy.

So if in 02 you spent say 70k on a z06 you lost over 50k... If you bought the NSX you lost 30ish?

Yep that vette is a huge bang for your buck!

How can you say that 0-60 in around 5 seconds and 1/4 in the low 13's at around 106mph is a real bargain?
I didn't. And wouldn't

Again, I'm not saying the car isn't a great handling machine that brings the F1 experience to life for a decent price
This however IS what I am saying.

but to say the car is a bargain when you look at performance numbers is a bit off.
Agreed.

The point I am trying to make, is that because this car has remained in a vacuum while other cars have gotten better and better, determining what this car is worth becomes harder and harder.
"Better" is subjective. If you read through this NSX vs R8 comparison, you can see that cars haven't gotten that much "better" in some aspects, the 21 year old NSX still does the trick at a much lower cost than the R8. In elegance, it holds it own too.

Don't get me wrong, I 100% understand the value aspect. My brother owns a C5 and can't fathom why I preferred to spend the same or more money that he spent when I could get a C5 instead. He is a car rocket junky though and loves the feeling of being thrown back in his seat and scorching around corners. I am in for a different experience and to quote my brother "there's a seat for every ass out there, you just gotta find the one that's right for you".

The only thing I will contest is your general assertion that NSX owners/fans have some sort of price bitterness. From what I have seen of the NSX community, it consists of very satisfied consumers who feel their car is worth every penny they spent.

You guys saying there is hate and jealousy, please remember this is a forum. Forums are places where people express their opinions. You can't pick and choose and say I want the positive but not something I disagree with. Obviously this unique car is an interesting subject for many. These opinions are just what people think. If I was seriously considering the car, I wouldn't pay attention to it. I have 120K into my own car now so I feel what it is like. I am not jealous. But I have expressed my opinion.

This car is a one of a kind. There isn't another. It is worth whatever any other one of a kind item is worth. What the buyer is willing to pay for it.

x2!!

I don't think anyone is hating. Personally, I love the car. It's an inspiration. Would I have done things differently? Yes, and I am. Do I question how many others out there are OCD enough about having an NSX R clone for themselves to actually pull the trigger on building one? I can count 10 of us and here's the list.

nsxsupra
na12rgt
frankspano
nsxot1c
serialnsxer - original builder of this car
socalx
8400rpm - myself
senninha
integraxtr
GBL1

There is also that guy from Seattle who bought a true NSX R just a couple of months ago and he paid mega $ for it. I think it was in the $150k range or more.

Ultimately it comes down to this. Is there someone out there willing to pay the price that is being asked? This remains to be seen. No one is hating the car, but quite a few are questioning the asking price. We're all aware of how much the parts cost to build this but maybe a summary of all the parts that were used and there costs would work as a reminder.

I honestly wish you all the best luck with the sale and I truly hope this car finds an owner that will fully appreciate it and love it to the point where they would never consider selling it.

x2!!

Couldn't have said any of this better myself... so have decided not to!

How can you say that 0-60 in around 5 seconds and 1/4 in the low 13's at around 106mph is a real bargain? Again, I'm not saying the car isn't a great handling machine that brings the F1 experience to life for a decent price...but to say the car is a bargain when you look at performance numbers is a bit off. The point I am trying to make, is that because this car has remained in a vacuum while other cars have gotten better and better, determining what this car is worth becomes harder and harder. Is it worth what someone will pay? ABSOLUTELY. Is it a performance bargain at 100K, NO WAY.

Keep in mind that very few NSX owners paid $100K for their car, many bought used and from that price point it's a great bang for the buck car. This car is differnt in that it has had tons of work done to it, including stroking and tuning the motor. Anil also feels there's more to be rung out of it. I for one would love to have a stroked motor for the NSX with a nice flat torque curve. Would drive like the current cars with just more balls.

This car has a very niche market based on price and what has been done to it.

My next question is, have you ever driven an NSX? It's one thing to bench race against the GTR or other cars, but an NSX really is an experience like no other. So while it may lack in HP, which in todays day an age can be accomodated for, SC, Turbo, NA build, it's still a great car to drive in stock form. There are several guys that have Vipers and an NSX on here but still love the NSX, so HP isn't everything.

Here's a quote of Anil comparing his car to a 360 CS:

For a long time, I lusted after a F360/CS (TDF Blue/Red seats). And their prices are now within ~$175K. So I thought that selling/trading an NSX-RR and adding a few dollars would get me into a CS.

Then I drove one.

OK, that soundtrack is like nothing else we've ever heard. BUT. Even stripped, it weighs about 3,000lbs -- more than my NSX-RR. And, it has about 425HP, the same as this NSX-RR. Plus, a CS is a real handful to drive more 30 minutes. Whereas this NSX-RR could be driven across country, without issue. Hey, did I just talk myself out of a trade for a CS? Probably. This NSX-RR is the CS version Honda should have built. But that's a broken record on this forum.

This debate has been fun and what forums are all about. I need to drive an NSX, now! Will be interesting to see where Anil's NSX ends up. Couple questions: How much horsepower does it have? WHat are the performance numbers. Funny how they don't mention that anywhere on the eBay sale site.

This debate has been fun and what forums are all about. I need to drive an NSX, now! Will be interesting to see where Anil's NSX ends up. Couple questions: How much horsepower does it have? WHat are the performance numbers. Funny how they don't mention that anywhere on the eBay sale site.

I Believe I read around 425hp and less than 3,000lbs

I Believe I read around 425hp and less than 3,000lbs

425HP is what he posted for HP, as for weight all we know is it's less than 3000lbs. You could always PM him, he might of had it corner balanced in which case he would know the weight.

I believe he thinks they could wring out more hp from it with a tune and ITB's, maybe different headers, read that it had DC headers and I recall those being more restrictive than others.

I am a big fan of this car but I never really understand when people say the original owner wants a good home for it. I realize it's a labor of love but at the end of day once you sell it, it's no longer relevant. All that remains is the check you cashed. To see it exchange hands or get tossed around is inconsequential.

Making sure it goes to a good home applies to things you love................like giving away a dog when you move from the country to the city. For some people it is relevant.

I am a big fan of this car but I never really understand when people say the original owner wants a good home for it. I realize it's a labor of love but at the end of day once you sell it, it's no longer relevant. All that remains is the check you cashed. To see it exchange hands or get tossed around is inconsequential.

425HP is what he posted for HP, as for weight all we know is it's less than 3000lbs. You could always PM him, he might of had it corner balanced in which case he would know the weight.

I believe he thinks they could wring out more hp from it with a tune and ITB's, maybe different headers, read that it had DC headers and I recall those being more restrictive than others.

From what I remember, Anil never had it dyno-ed for the numbers, only for the tunign process because he didn't believe that those numbers meant anything. The final goal of the car was to make a driver's car that could fly around the track, but also cruise on the street. Don't forget, with around 400bhp (yes, ITBs and a better header/exhaust could still yield more power), and the shorter geared LSD, and the shorter geared transmission makes this car a monster in acceleration.

Ebay auction only made it to 75k this time.

I wonder how high it would go if it didn't list a BIN price? Presumably, the reserve would be the BIN price, or very close to it, and that probably disuades some bidders. Perhaps if it was not listed bidders might go higher thinking the next bid would trigger the reserve. But I still doubt anyone would actually come close to 100k.

Wow,

This is a tough crowd.....

Anil had somewhere around $180,000 in the car.
I've got $120,000 in the car.

I guess attempting to sell it on Ebay brings out the opinions of the masses......

Frankly, it is what it is & cannot be reproduced for less than I'm asking...In reality, it would be much more.
Too bad the typical (used) NSX buyer has a $25k budget and doesn't mind high mileage hand-me-downs with blingy wheels. I on the other hand can appreciate all the time, money and effort that went into this car. What's it worth? Only the future owner will decide that....PERIOD!

Cheers, Joe

You don't get back what you put into a modified car, usually you lose money. economics, location and timing will choose.

No one but the original owner wanted to do that to the car in the first place, it's a chop shop car no matter how many expensive parts are on it. I sometimes work in a car yard in japan, i see expensive parts get sold for junk money in the trade. Custom cars get no love unless its in a movie or someone famous died/owned it.

For that amount of money why would you buy a copy, only if it was cheap would it be worthwhile to someone. Too many better options out there for that kind of money. Who knows, you might get lucky. Learn the lesson! I did the hard way. But you have time on your side. Good luck.
:smile:

I wonder how high it would go if it didn't list a BIN price? Presumably, the reserve would be the BIN price, or very close to it, and that probably disuades some bidders. Perhaps if it was not listed bidders might go higher thinking the next bid would trigger the reserve. But I still doubt anyone would actually come close to 100k.

FYI, I was offered $100k Buyer waffled....Car is now back in my private collection in North Carolina. Drove it around a bit before loading it on the transport truck...It's not a 458 Italia, but it is certainly one of my favorites. Anil built an awesome car.

Cheers, Joe

FYI, I was offered $100k Buyer waffled....Car is now back in my private collection in North Carolina. Drove it around a bit before loading it on the transport truck...It's not a 458 Italia, but it is certainly one of my favorites. Anil built an awesome car.

Cheers, Joe

Good for you Joe, drive it and enjoy it. You did the right thing keeping her and keeping her whole (I am the same Jacob that emailed you a few weeks ago). Good luck with your newest car (I won't mention names).

Good point! And I totally agree. On the point of modded cars - sometimes custom cars get lots of money at auctions but if they are highly moded they usually don't come up to what has been spent. If you watfch Barrett Jackson closely like I always do, then you'll notice certain things about resto mods. When they are clones of other cars - muscle cars that is- they hardly ever get what the owner has spent reproducing the car. If you look at resto mods or custom cars - that is a totally different thing. They are now getting a lot of respect and high dollars at the auctions - people have finally figured out that when considering muscle cars - disc brakes for example, are good mods - as in now the car will really stop. There was some really strong money for good custom resto moded cars this year.

My 2 cents ....

Cheers, Joe

good for you,I think it makes for an interresting addition to any collection.Plus you can drive it,and you will be the hit of any import show to boot:wink:

I think some people are speaking out of jealously because, admittedly, there are not a lot of people on NSX Prime (or in the world) that have well over $100,000 in burnable cash to blow on a car just because they feel like it. So from the perspective of most of the people on Prime who probably financed their cars that were in the $25k - $50k price range, being able to wrap their mind around writing a check for $100,000 plus on anything and having it not slow your day down one bit seems like a foreign concept, and for many people the natural reaction is to 'attack'.

Personally, I think the car is a gem. Is it still a 'replica' at its heart? Sure. But there are really NO other options to get that close to a real NSX-R in the United States. Period. As I recall, Anil made this car because he had exhausted all avenues of getting a real one, and even in the rarified air of 'money is no object' was still shut down. So the next best option was, 'Well...I guess I will just build my own'.

Is it a shocking amount of money? Hell yes. Are there only 0.000001% of the people on the planet that have the money and desire to do this? Yep. But I ask people to remember something here. This was not done with the thought of, 'Hmmm....I wonder what my re-sale value will be,' it was done out of love and appreciation for the NSX-R, and one man's desire to have the closest thing he could to one that could be legally driven in the United States. Not everyone does things with investment potential being a forethought. Some people, with the proper resources, do it because they love it, and because they can. Simple as that.

Agreed, so sell it at a price people will buy it for and accept the loss. As with this line of thought (and mine when i build a car for my enjoyment) the love part was seeing the project come to fruition and enjoying the end result. Any car i build i do not expect to get anymore than the original price i paid for the car before the build. You get more, bonus!:smile:

I just don't see this car coming close to a hundred grand. With the new nsx just around the corner packed full of modern technology, investing in 20 year old tech is a complete waste. And not for nothing, there are a lot of great performance cars out there right now, cars that would run away from this type r for 50 grand less.

I just don't see this car coming close to a hundred grand. With the new nsx just around the corner packed full of modern technology, investing in 20 year old tech is a complete waste. And not for nothing, there are a lot of great performance cars out there right now, cars that would run away from this type r for 50 grand less.

This car runs with vehicles by today's standards.

Back