• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Is your NSX your daily driver ?

Is your NSX your daily driver ?

• Total voters
First off let me say I admire and envy a little those of you who daily drive your NSXs. It really is a grand tourer that also happens to be a great performance machine.

I can relate to those who like to reserve driving for weekends and special occasions because it keeps the NXS experience fresh. And of course, long boring commutes and weather threats are also good reasons to keep the NSX in the garage during the week.

My own situation is also likely not uncommon. I am getting very close to retirement. I'm far from rich and, frankly, a $30K toy is not realistic...EXCEPT...My NSX is an investment. That fact plus the fact that it is also a toy means I get to play. I'm not necessarily looking for it to appreciate in value although I hope it does of course. But I don't expect it to lose value either. Meanwhile I can drive it on special occasions (which means once or twice almost every weekend) and enjoy the hell out of owning it but somewhere down the road I can sell it for more than I paid for it if and when I need or want something else more.

Point is, everyone's situation, desires, and automotive philosophy are a little different. Don't judge, just enjoy your ride.

Last edited:
In addition there is the law of diminishing returns I learned about in economics. The law refers to how every additional unit of input you put in leads to lesser and lesser additional output. Which basically means there comes a time when you reach a point where something becomes less satisfying in this instance. There are other instances where it applies to business, manufacturing, farming, etc.

Good God, given that, if your wife/girlfriend is attractive, you better be careful & not have sex with her too often then! :D

a $30K toy is not realistic...EXCEPT...My NSX is an investment.

Economics 101: Cars are a depreciating asset...NOT an investment.

:)

I drive mine once or twice during the week to work and nearly every weekend. I don't mind miles but don't like it sitting in a parking lot all day at work. I don't drive in snow and rarely in rain. Why rain? Because I don't want to clean it. That said, I mind a lot less now that I discovered AMMO NYC Hydrate. If I am stuck in the rain I just wipe the rain off when I get home. Great product.

Who said you have to clean it? Mine has not been washed in months, and I daily drive it, park it on the street (or in an occasional parking garage) downtown for work, and just deal with it. The key is to buy a light color like mine (Grand Prix White). Then the car never really looks that dirty. :)

Economics 101: Cars are a depreciating asset...NOT an investment.

:)

Depends on the car... The NSX seems to be going up in value.

Many older Euro classics have outperformed almost any other investment over the last five years, 10 years, and 20 years. And there have been some amazing appreciation stories even among lower cost models. The best examples of the lowly 944 turbo P cars have gone up 50% in price since 2009.

And even if the NSX market colapses, I'm pretty sure I could still recover more than 80% of the price I paid for mine. Not bad after nearly 3 years of ownership (and counting).

A car is generally a depreciating asset for the first 10 or 15 years...sometimes a lot longer. After that, you may find yourself owning an investment. And by the way, "depreciating asset" would be Principles of Accounting, not Economics 101.

Last edited:
To those that said 'No"....

"WHY not?"

Now I definitely have a reason.

Back story, had to drop the ITR off to have the AC leak checked out so I drove the NSX to work for the first time ever and this happens.

321385_10200323799671117_2001585468_n.jpg

WTH!? Who... What.. When. And who did you knock the F___ out!!

I was going to make a thread eventually but it all worked out okay... I was driving out in the no-mans-land section of the parking lot and somebody just backed out of their parking spot without looking. FORTUNATELY, it was just the fender and nothing else. The body shop did an excellent job, got the front bumper resprayed (63k of rock chips), front wheel resprayed (had a few nicks in it) and pained the 02+ rear valence I had picked up while they were doing everything else.

It sucks that there will be a carfax ding on it now... I'm trying to make a claim for diminished value since now I don't have all original panels/paint anymore.

What really sucked about the whole thing is that I never drive the car, and I have a spare left fender for my ITR... If he would have hit it I would of collected the check and laughed about it... Any other day and he would have hit the car I wouldn't care if it got hit. Oh well. Can't have anything nice :)

My anxiety about driving it around traffic has spiked up and I rarely take it out now, I'll get over that though.

Last edited:
I moved out to the suburbs a bit ago and have been "dailying" the NSX because it's my only car since - enough (small) bad things have happened to it just from doing that that I'm thinking about getting another car.

Already feels like the car is decaying slowly and I'm running around plugging leaks with my fingers. Driving it short trips or on little errands just makes that process happens faster...

I said no. I feel to be considered a true daily driver you drive that car no matter whats going on outside meaning like weather. I refuse to drive in the snow and rain. Then also if there is salt all over the roads I wait till it washes away. So there are times durinng the winter she sits for a solid month at times. So as long as its sunny and the weather report looks good I take the NSX out but we never travel to far away from home.

. Any other day and he would have hit the car I wouldn't care if it got hit.

If you were driving another car you wouldn't have occupied that space at that time. Something would have shifted in your timing to make you "not be there for the accident to happen". Maybe it takes longer to get the NSX out of the garage and your DD would have passed through that time spot before the NSX.........? Or you're quicker through some lights in the NSX ?? "something" would have changed. In any event......bad luck/bad timing but a good result if you get all dings, nicks AND a diminished value payment. Fight for the DV claim. I used to be an insurance adjuster. Make them understand that your car is NOT a Civic and that the paint process alone can NOT be duplicated........... Good luck

I am and plan to for the time being but I don't like being constantly paranoid. Nearly getting hit twice on the first day of ownership and arresting the DUI dickbag that tried to run me off of the road didn't help.
I will enjoy the car and put miles on it, but I'll eventually buy a fun beater that I'm not worried so much about. I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the attention it brings, well the good anyway.

If you were driving another car you wouldn't have occupied that space at that time. Something would have shifted in your timing to make you "not be there for the accident to happen".

22097703.jpg

. Any other day and he would have hit the car I wouldn't care if it got hit.

If you were driving another car you wouldn't have occupied that space at that time. Something would have shifted in your timing to make you "not be there for the accident to happen". Maybe it takes longer to get the NSX out of the garage and your DD would have passed through that time spot before the NSX.........? Or you're quicker through some lights in the NSX ?? "something" would have changed. In any event......bad luck/bad timing but a good result if you get all dings, nicks AND a diminished value payment. Fight for the DV claim. I used to be an insurance adjuster. Make them understand that your car is NOT a Civic and that the paint process alone can NOT be duplicated........... Good luck

I'm fighting it, to make matters a little more convoluted. I was hit by an individual in a government vehicle, so I wasn't able to initiate the DV claim against their insurance (since they're technically 'self-insured'). Waiting to see how that plays out.

+ our cars are so low, most people can't even see us, I also got rear ended (remember) ? f***k that, is a weekend car!

Come the midwestern winter its in storage until the threat of salt and sand has substantially subsided. This spring I drove it nearly everyday when I first got it out of storage. Now, I'm not driving it every day because my commute is either so short to the office that I often don't even have the engine fully warmed up by the time I get there or I'm heading to the airport for a flight and no way am I parking it in the airport garage where dings are virtually inevitable. So if A. there is NO chance of rain or hail in the forecast and B. I have the time to take the long way to work - which involves a totally unnecessary but very rewarding interstate entrance ramp - then I'll drive it. Like Nukem, I like the 'treat' of driving it 2-4 times a week.

My plan is 35 degrees or higher, less than a 20% chance of precipitation, and 2 rains after the last salt has been applied in the winter.

MPX

Back