• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ITB's for Targa

I think they mean it will not fit under the targa engine cover.

Also is your car not an OBDII car?

You can just store the roof in the trunk with a nice plush blanket. I probably don't need to say this but PAINT SIDE UP!

ITBs will eliminate DBW. So it will work if: you swap out the 91-94 throttle cable, remove the targa brace (install coupe brace), remove the engine cover, of course you will have to run standalone EMS, and lots of $$$ for SOS to do the work.

Yes it was about $1500 extra to retrofit the cable and stuff. Makes ITBs an even poorer value than they already are. I made 277 whp all NA without ITBs.

I haven't looked into this with much detail yet, but could the DBW actuator not be retrofitted to a throttle linkage.
So the DBW motor pulling the ITB linkage, would certainly require some fab but no rocket science.

I'd need to check if AEM does a DBW NSX computer. (OBD-II computer)

You are the expert Adnan :) It's always good to have options though I have been lured to the dark side...

Just looked up the wiring diagram it can be done.
You can even retain TCS and Cruise control.

TCS and CC might require tandem OE ecu & standalone or a modified OE ecu.
Linkage of the DBW can be converted to cable operation with out the use of the 90-93 parts.
That would require a stand alone setup (a OE ECU swap might be doable but pricey)

I see about 3-4 ways of doing the DBW ITB setup.

update,
I've made a few sketches on how to run the system and linkages.
Now i don't have a DBW car here that needs ITB's so i can't make a kit right away.

But should be a fun one to do, you could make the ITB setup work more advanced and add fun features like throttle blips and an advanced warm up-cycle like on a BMW M engine.

back to Rogers request regarding the Targa top,
I'd redesign the trumpets to allow for clearance and still retain runner length. (think in the lines of a BMW S65 engine)

Last edited:
Wow how cool is that! I am amazed how much development this platform still attracts- I love that the most about the NSX I think. It never gets old!

ITB's with a targa would probably sound great. The fun part would be to get to run with AEM latest ecu Infinity. Probably would take a lot of Dyno time? My heart wants to keep car NA however pocket book and logic is driving me towards twin turbo, as it appears that is the way all new cars are making the power.

Another idea is that you could buy a throttle motor (in order to keep DBW) from another make of vehicle to work in conjunction with custom linkage. The possibilities are endless if you are willing to go through trial, error and a lot of money. This is a project that I am considering for a future NSX 3.5 NA build.

I'd not take a DBW motor from a other make as you'd likely run in to issues with computer communications. (it's a OBD-II car)
Although I'd need to check if the software output of a standalone could be modified so it can control a non Honda motor & TPS.
That should be possible.

With the DBW I'd look in to adding a warm up procedure for the car (e.g. first few minutes 3k max then 5k, then full)
Retaining cruise control and TCS would be nice you could package it all to look OEM (e.g. like a BMW M) add to that launch control in the ecu and you'd have a very cool setup.

Can't believe its taken till April 2013 for a thread like this to start.
Unfortunately the trial and error will probably take a while. In the meantime I bought a CTSC which goes against the NA bible.
If this becomes a reliable option I'm in.
I'll be keeping an eye to this thread.

Yes, it can be done. We've successfully retrofitted later cars to throttle by cable.

Yes, a solution could be engineered to electronically control the throttle body actuation. It would be more feasible to use a industrial stepper motor which would fit in to the packaging better. However, at the end of the day when the engineering cost and safety issues are considered, there's ultimately no practical benefit to take this approach. Simply, converting the car to throttle by cable is significantly less expensive and there is emissions system or engine control benefit considering the installation of the throttle system would render the car absolutely emissions non-compliant due to the defeating of major emissions control systems.

-- Chris

I recall it being so as it runs K and J series engines, i'd need to check though.
But the NSX DBW car still has a throttle cable it just run's to a positioning sensor in the front, which than runs a cable to the ecu and then back to the motor in the throttle body.

On the subject of saftey issues, I've already have that solution.

Last edited:
One thing really holding me back on ITB is that no one makes an airbox that looks factory. For example, if there was an airbox that fit under the engine cover, incorporated the OEM Honda engine plate, and drew air from the factory intake location in an unobtrisive way (i.e., injection molded black plastic pipe with fittings/clips for OEM vac lines, as opposed to polished aluminum bling pipe with rainbow colored anodized fittings), then ITB might make sense for a daily driven NSX. Right now, it seems like an option for either a toy car that is mostly driven to car shows, or an all out race car.

One thing really holding me back on ITB is that no one makes an airbox that looks factory. For example, if there was an airbox that fit under the engine cover, incorporated the OEM Honda engine plate, and drew air from the factory intake location in an unobtrisive way (i.e., injection molded black plastic pipe with fittings/clips for OEM vac lines, as opposed to polished aluminum bling pipe with rainbow colored anodized fittings), then ITB might make sense for a daily driven NSX. Right now, it seems like an option for either a toy car that is mostly driven to car shows, or an all out race car.

I have been driving my setup without filters since installation.
I have driven as far as from Seattle to SF and just about anywhere else that I feel like.
So the "thing" that holding you back in not an issue IMO.

I have been driving my setup without filters since installation.
I have driven as far as from Seattle to SF and just about anywhere else that I feel like.
So the "thing" that holding you back in not an issue IMO.

Killer looks, awesome sound but IMHO i'd not drive with out a filter.

Fabing up a OE style airbox is a nice idea and a doable one although would require ether machining or plastic welding

A nice carbon fiber box conected to side intake should not be that difficult to fabricate, compared to everything else that would have to be done. The question is would it be worth all the trouble? I feel a 3.5 stroker with ITB's would not be the most powerfull car out there but would definetly be a blast on any track that you would find yourself on.

Back