• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

It's official(ly a prototype)

Lud

Legendary Member
PrimeAdmin
http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/auto/NSX-R/index.html

The key concept guiding the development of the new NSX-R is "evolution and strength". As the first to benefit from Honda’s greatest achievements on the racing circuit, the NSX could almost be called the original TYPE R, and Honda has once again boosted its sporting spirit. A major factor in the NSX’s premium handling and performance is the lightweight aluminum body, and for the new model carbon fiber and other ultra lightweight materials have been used wherever possible for even lower weight. In addition, the revised craftsman-built interior further accentuates NSX-R’s sports credentials.

Major equipment: • Carbon fiber hood air outlets • Carbon fiber rear spoiler • Carbon fiber engine compartment cover • MOMO genuine leather-wrapped 3-spoke steering wheel • RECARO carbon fiber Aramid bucket seats • Type R dedicated 17-inch aluminum alloy wheels • 215/40ZR low profile tires (front), 255/40ZR low profile tires (rear)

Specifications: • Overall length/width/height: 4430mm/1810mm/1160mm • Wheelbase: 2530mm

p01.jpg

p02.jpg

So we have a protoype for the new NSX Type-R. If history is any guide, the US will see very little of what differentiates the Japanese Type-R. Also it says this is a prototype so "objects in mirror may look difference by the time they go to production."

I wonder if the carbon fiber bonnet cover was determined to be less expensive to manufacture than a stamped aluminum hood. Either way, I think the new bridge car is interesting. I like the idea of bringing back the NSX-R line, however, the whole attempt seems to be unorganized and hald-hearted. Either way, change is always good, more so for some people than others I suppose.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

www.ScienceofSpeed.com - Click for more info
www.NSXClassifieds.com - The internet's only exclusive NSX Classified site!

It is interesting to note the structure of the new bridge design. While no one outside of the factory knows right now, I would be willing to put down money that the new headlight assy will work with the current car. Only the hood appears to be the only modified part that would be required to fit the new headlight assy. I strongly doubt that the more compact fixed headlight assy would require a larger bucket then the one found on the current car.

-- Chris

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

Here's some more picts from the show:

newnsx1.jpg

newnsx2.jpg

Note rear mini-diffuser on back.

------------------
SoS_logo.gif

[This message has been edited by ScienceofSpeed (edited 24 October 2001).]

Only the hood appears to be the only modified part that would be required to fit the new headlight assy.

If you look closely, I think you'll find that the hood would not require any modification. It appears that the openings used for the new headlights are exactly the same as those used for the retractable ones on the current model.

I'm betting the North American NSX keeps the same hood as at present.

The top part of the bumper looks modified around the lights. Even if not, the OEM is unfinished where the flip-up headlight assembly goes so you'd need to replace it for cosmetic reasons. And that means you probably need the whole front nose to get things to line up properly.

Either way, the whole thing really looks like a body kit on an existing NSX. It could have been worse (as we've seen in many "artists concepts") but I don't really think it adds anything to the car...

I don't believe the headlight openings are the same as the current car. Both the leading and trailing edges are quite different looking.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

once again, I highly doubt this car will come to the US in its original design, if it comes at all. Only time will tell. At best, we will get a water-down NSX-R with regular seats, no CF hood and airbaged steering wheel.

------------------
G Dummy

Hmm.. I like how the turn signal is now integrated with the headlight assembly. It nicely cleans up the front bumper. I also like the hood. It has a bit more style than a lot of the after-market options. I hope it fits the current NSX.

I'm interested to see the actual performance numbers on this NSX...compared to say the S-Zero or Zanardi editions. Hopefully some magazine stateside gets a look at this new car...

I don't believe the headlight openings are the same as the current car. Both the leading and trailing edges are quite different looking.

The leading edge is quite different looking, and I agree that you would need to add the new front end to complete the look.

However, look very carefully and I think you'll see that the trailing edge is NOT different looking. It may look different at first glance, because the lighting shows the roundish "bump" in the lens, where it sticks up. But if you look closely where it's not as well lit, you'll see that the trailing edge is indeed "squared off" like that of the current retractable housing opening. That means that it would be compatible with the current hood.

I admit that it's not easy to tell in these photos (especially since you see that part at such an oblique angle), and they could change it before it reaches production. Also, they could have some body parts that are different for the JDM NSX-R that are not available in the USDM NSX (I'm betting the scooped hood is among these). Of course, we won't know for sure until it's actually here, so we're just guessing, based on photos of a prototype.

Geez, this NSX-R prototype has already made its way into Gran Turismo...or will soon enough with Gran Turismo Concept (a sorta half-sequel to GT3)...

gtc_21.jpg

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '97 Honda Civic HX (black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

Ken et al,

I took a much more critical look and I still don't see that the headlight opening is the same.

As you can see from the picture, both the leading and trailing edges of the lights are swept back further from the current design. I found a NSX picture taken at a similar angle and you can see that with respect to the seam at the front bumper cap and the hood - that the old design had leading and trailing headlight edges that were roughly parallel to the seam.

nsxlights.jpg

This is no longer the case.

I do think it's possible that by replacing the front bumper cap as well as the hood that the new headlight assemblies could be retrofitted to older cars.

-Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
Looking for 76-79 Honda Accords

I think the new body style will look amazing in red, blue, yellow, or silver. And the color interior should be awesome. I have to see it in person. I hope I can haggle the price when purchasing for the new car
smile.gif

That Video is cool! I love that NSX-R!!!

------------------
NetViper -= 100% Stock EBP 2000 Civic Si =- Still looking to get an NSX, but at least I can live life at 8,000 RPM!

I have changed my mind about the NSX-R. I like it a lot now because of the read diffuser and the interior is great looking.

Back