• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I've let everyone down...JH4NA1157NT000018

game-over?

Talked to the head adjuster this morning.

She said the car would be moving out in the next two days or so to get inspected and appraised and that I would know the final appraisal value sometime next week...
Has it officially been declared a 'total loss'?

Sigh...
such a shame! :(

It hasn't officially been written off, but I think it will be. The damage looks extensive.

We'll know here before long.

Like I said before, I'm sorry for such a tragedy and am more than glad you're alright. I also thank you for reminding me of what could easily happen to any driver which would suck in the NSX. For this reason I may hold of on getting one until I'm a little more comfortable in having a large portion of my net worth in--when it comes down to it--just a car. Keep us posted!

OK so the official word has come down.

JH4NA1157NT000018 has been declared a total loss. :frown:

USAA has offered me a settlement of $28,191. I may dispute them on this.

I will be purchasing the car back from USAA.

I'll have more updates as they come.

OK so the official word has come down... USAA has offered me a settlement of $28,191. I may dispute them on this.

I have USAA for my insurance and although you can get more out of them, when you go to insure your next NSX it is going to be painful. Have you asked how much the premium will be on your next one?

Good luck.

I have USAA for my insurance and although you can get more out of them, when you go to insure your next NSX it is going to be painful. Have you asked how much the premium will be on your next one?

Good luck.

I'm probably just going to let it go.

The car barely totaled so if I push for a higher valuation, then in retrospect it would not total the car.

I haven't tried finding out what the premium will be on another one, but it's a good assumption that it will be a bit higher than what I was going to pay.
I hear USAA has accident forgiveness ( this is my first insurance claim of any type ), but that may not stretch to one-car accidents where the vehicle happens to be an exotic. That may not go over well.

If it's going to be painful insuring the next one by fighting on the valuation, I would rather just let it go and get another one with the settlement and live happily ever after.

I had a $12,000 accident claim with USAA seven years ago and they raised my rates 4x what it was before that claim. Suffice to say, they made back every penny plus some on the payout on that accident. At one point the insurance on my NSX went from $1,200 to $3,600. :mad:

I had a $12,000 accident claim with USAA seven years ago and they raised my rates 4x what it was before that claim. Suffice to say, they made back every penny plus some on the payout on that accident. At one point the insurance on my NSX went from $1,200 to $3,600. :mad:

How old were you when that happened? Those are crazy high rates. I pay just a tad under the 1200 for 3 cars and one is the F car and another is an AMG. 3600 sounds like robbery.

How old were you when that happened? Those are crazy high rates. I pay just a tad under the 1200 for 3 cars and one is the F car and another is an AMG. 3600 sounds like robbery.

I was 32 and I had four cars and a motorcycle. Now my rates are very low because I've been a good boy for the past seven years with no claims or points on my license. Also, although USAA is a great company, they don't like it when you have claim on an exotic vehicle.

Last edited:
Wow.

I'm still on my parents' policy, have had no accidents ( prior to this ) and have never even been pulled over. Both my parents have had multiple claims.

The police report is as sweet as possible. Do you think they will murder me on the next premiums? I will be 21 this month. :frown:

Wow.

I'm still on my parents' policy, have had no accidents ( prior to this ) and have never even been pulled over. Both my parents have had multiple claims.

The police report is as sweet as possible. Do you think they will murder me on the next premiums? I will be 21 this month. :frown:

They will probably murder your parents and you if you are still on their policy. As I stated before, USAA is a great company and I've had them for 20years. They also have a high risk insurance category that you will probably be in now because of the payout on the crash. Your parents need to call them to see how you will affect their rates. Ask them what the rate will be before you get another NSX. You now need to be squeaky clean for the nest five years or USAA will drop you. I may even kick your a$$ because now my dividend check will probably be lower because they had to pay on your car. :wink:

I would call and try and get the new rate. This information might not be available on account of your claim is still "open", but it's worth a shot imo. I think knowing your new insurance expense will help you budget your finances a lot better. Paying for a car, insurance and gas might make the NSX a little less attractive at this time. Oh yeah, don't forget mod money!!!

Best of luck Jared!!

Do you still live at home? If not, are you away going to school or anything? If you don't live at home, you shouldn't be on your parents policy still. Unless your'e going to school, etc...

Do you still live at home? If not, are you away going to school or anything? If you don't live at home, you shouldn't be on your parents policy still. Unless your'e going to school, etc...

I'm both living at home and going to school here in Knoxville. USAA recommends that I stay on their policy due to this.

I received the salvage value on the vehicle today and it was QUITE A BIT higher than I would like.

My original plan was to buy the vehicle back and have her restored back to her original glory, but I may have to take the insurance company's settlement.

I don't even think I could WHOLESALE the car to another Prime member for what USAA wants.

It's going to be difficult to talk them down as well since their salvage process involves bidders giving offers on the car.

Does anyone have any suggestions? :frown:

How much did they say?

Jared, as I have told you.. I think they are atleast 6 grand high on there number. Someone must have bid on it that has all the parts just sitting around to throw on the car. I REALLY wish I could get that car back! Oh well. :frown:

Maybe that bid was a bluff.

I'm not sure if USAA has certain people they bid out to, but you could try with your dealer status to get in on the auction and purchase.

I'll see if I can track where the car's going.

I bawled the guy out on the phone this morning, but all he could say was "we reserve the right to do that."

Is it even legal ( ethical ) to allow bids on a car who's salvage value has not been determined and offered to the person who wrecked the vehicle?

Last edited:
Maybe that bid was a bluff.

I'm not sure if USAA has certain people they bid out to, but you could try with your dealer status to get in on the auction and purchase.

I'll see if I can track where the car's going.

I bawled the guy out on the phone this morning, but all he could say was "we reserve the right to do that."

Is it even legal ( ethical ) to allow bids on a car who's salvage value has not been determined and offered to the person who wrecked the vehicle?

IT never hearts to ask for supervisors and call often. If they are keeping track of your calls and the length of the calls there comes a point where it's cheaper for them to give in to you then to keep getting calls.

Any update on this?

IT never hearts to ask for supervisors and call often. If they are keeping track of your calls and the length of the calls there comes a point where it's cheaper for them to give in to you then to keep getting calls.

Any update on this?

I've settled with the insurance company and am waiting on my deposit.

They told me on Friday that it would be in my account in 24 hours. It's now 1AM on Monday morning and still no deposit. I don't believe it's business hours either as I received my loan over the weekend.

It seems for me to get anything done I have had to call them incessantly. They are always very nice and courteous, but I think when we hang up the phone, they throw a cocktail party in the cubicles and my paperwork ends up stained on the floor.

I can't say my new car insurance quote is bad though.

I'm calling them tomorrow to straighten it out if I don't see a deposit when I wake up.

Thanks for the advice and the well wishes. It's all jumping through the right hoops from here.

UPDATE:

Funds were deposited this morning.:redface: Maybe USAA's not so bad after all.

Looking to purchase this week.

I will reveal the car when I have it home and in the garage. :biggrin:

Congrats on getting the settlement done. Now time to hop back on that horse and get up and ride...in a new nsx that is :biggrin:

That's right. I've pretty much had the worst thing imaginable happen, so I'm pretty invincible now. Gonna park it in the garage and leave it there for the weekend to ward off the bad juju. :biggrin:

NSX Take 2.

Back