• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I've let everyone down...JH4NA1157NT000018

Everyone has such nice things to say. I am truly glad neither you nor your passenger were hurt. I'm sorry you bent a perfectly nice NSX.

But doesn't anyone here think for one minute that you may have been overdriving the car?

:
As I was halfway through the turn, the car hit a wet spot in the road and suddenly understeered off into the grass, and the resulting loss of traction brought the rear end around.

Understeer is the condition in which the front tires don't follow the trajectory the driver is trying to impose while taking the corner, instead following a more straight line trajectory [Wikipedia]. The car is said to oversteer when the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn. Oversteer can throw the car into a spin.

Did it spin, or did it understeer straight off? :confused:

It completely locked up when I hit the wet as I was halfway through the turn.

Either you turned the wheel and it understeered,ie. went straight, or you lifted and braked (see above) and it snapped into an oversteer condition. Either way you were at fault and bent your car.

Everyone has such nice things to say. I am truly glad neither you nor your passenger were hurt. I'm sorry you bent a perfectly nice NSX.

But doesn't anyone here think for one minute that you may have been overdriving the car?

Understeer is the condition in which the front tires don't follow the trajectory the driver is trying to impose while taking the corner, instead following a more straight line trajectory [Wikipedia]. The car is said to oversteer when the rear wheels do not track behind the front wheels but instead slide out toward the outside of the turn. Oversteer can throw the car into a spin.

Either you turned the wheel and it understeered,ie. went straight, or you lifted and braked (see above) and it snapped into an oversteer condition. Either way you were at fault and bent your car.

At this point I don't think it is prudent to add insult to injury. The only way to experience how the car reacts in certain situations is to drive it. Some of us are not race car drivers. Unfortunately, he found a tree instead of just skidding off the road. Give the guy a break. :smile:

Let everyone down? Come over here and let us give you a noogie. Now, get out there and just don’t do it again, ya big lug.

+1 :biggrin:

well ain't that a bitch... wrecked the car on the first day. :frown: been there, done that and got the t-shirt, pal. (though it wasn't an nsx)

the good news is you and your pax are safe, the car was insured and at 20, you've learned a pretty good lesson.

glad you're safe.

hal

I am well aware of the difference between understeer and oversteer. Wikipedia is usually decent, but is not trusted as an academic resource.

Here's the answer to your question:

As I hit whatever it was in the road, slick spot, gravel, what have you, I had zero front control of the car. I was already halfway through the turn and taking it leisurely without any strain on the tires or driving at any sort of performance orientation.

As the car understeered ( if you will ) off the road ( at this point I am in the grass ), the momentum of the rear of the car started bringing the tail around, not technically oversteer, but something you would liken it to. The dew on the grass allowed this to be possible.

I realize many of you will sit back and find this very questionable, a 20 year old kid wrecking a fine piece of machinery in the first day of ownership, but I assure you, I am well aware of what happened and have suffered the mental and physical consequences that comes along with destroying 1) a car I just bought and 2) a car which is not easily replicated.

I do not know how to explain this to you more completely. For you to fully understand, you would have had to been an occupant.

Yeah You! But he doesn't talk and act like he drives! He simply wanted to enjoy a stock car. I for one would rape the shit out of my car if I had your "mods" I put them in quote marks cuz they are more of a ornament for you:biggrin:

DRIVE YOUR CAR KYLE QUIT BEING A SISSY!!!!

"oh i dont want to hurt it" :mad: DRIVE IT!!! Thats what it was built for!:biggrin: :biggrin:

Ok, Rant over! Back to our regularly scheduled programming

I do drive it. I just don't beat it. They're different. :wink:

Wow Chops. You must be some kind of race car driver to be delving out all this knowledge to someone that drove their car for 10 hours, 99% of it in a straight line on the highway, and then didn't handle the car correctly the first time it stepped out of line on them. We all know the only way to figure out how a car handles is to cut it loose on purpose and figure it out. Every car is different. Unfortunatly the first time it got away from him, it was unintentional. By the way, I was watching animal planet, saw this and thought of you.
jerkpenguin.gif
:)

I agree, you said it best: "I am 20 years old. Be advised. Experience insufficient".

This guy is obviously super mature the way he's handling it. I'm going on 30 and I wouldn't handle it as well as he is. Can't you show a little compassion, or do you have to be "that guy"?

Kyle, when are you coming out to the track???? :wink:

I am instructing now for the CIRPCA/KYPCA and NASA. I will be at Putnam this weekend with KYPCA and the following Fri for a one day at Putnam. I know there are still spots open for Fri (6/27). :biggrin:

I'd love to come out soon. Give me a call and we'll talk about Putnam. But I'm only coming if ChopsJazz is there to explain oversteer and understeer. :wink:

I do drive it. I just don't beat it. They're different. :wink:

Yes there is a difference kyle!!! You got no........marbles!!!:biggrin:

Anyways,usafdarkhorse...the events at this point in time are irrelevant. Only you and the passenger will no what exactly happened. The important thing now is to pick up the pieces and move on and.........get another one!!
:biggrin:

sorry to hear about your loss. i did the same thing with my first nsx. it lasted for 2 weeks before insurance totaled it. actually i got a really good deal on the car at 37k but insurance ended up paying me 58k...

lets hope you have the same luck with your insurance company!

sorry to hear about your loss. i did the same thing with my first nsx. it lasted for 2 weeks before insurance totaled it. actually i got a really good deal on the car at 37k but insurance ended up paying me 58k...

lets hope you have the same luck with your insurance company!

How did you manage that? What company insures your vehicles?

i live in CA and i have mercury for insurance. appraently they totaled my car based on what was the goin rate and not what i paid for the car. the total did include the sales tax i paid to the state.

thats freaky ,I just bought a black nsx like that one and I also have usaa! And a tree just fell on my house last week! weird!

Yes well... it's safe to say this tree was minding its own business when a big aluminum machine invaded its space.

Apparently the trooper writing the report is wrapping it up and it's holding the whole insurance conveyor up.

It's very frustrating not knowing the result of something catastrophic like this, but I guess I'm just being too impatient.

I've already found a replacement car and would like to purchase as soon as possible.

There should be some sort of deadline that the state requires of the Troopers.

Apparently he finished it Monday and my agent is waiting on the policy side of USAA to say something.

The car I was considering up in Akron might be sold, so really I'm just kind of waiting it out and looking over ads because I don't have the potential to pull the trigger right now.

I remember being 18 and my best friend, who was 19, went and bought a brand new 911-S. That same week he then proceeded to take a ride through the Santa Cruz mountains in the evening. He promptly lost control of the car in a turn, resulting in minor damage to the entire car when he spun into a chain-link fence. The fence wrapped around the car damaging the paint all the way around. Result was the car in the shop for over a month and a complete paint job and some minor body work.
After all was said and done he admitted he was trying to drive briskly and believed the 911 would essentially drive itself around the curves. Lesson learned and he never wrecked it after that little learning experience.
Some of life's lessons are more costly than others. Here the OP suffered damage to a car only and no injuries. Live and learn.

There should be some sort of deadline that the state requires of the Troopers.

Apparently he finished it Monday and my agent is waiting on the policy side of USAA to say something.

The car I was considering up in Akron might be sold, so really I'm just kind of waiting it out and looking over ads because I don't have the potential to pull the trigger right now.
Shoot me an email. I'll send you pics of mine tonite. I'm tossing the idea of selling but just can't convince myself. But who knows. I think you'll like the tasteful mods.:wink:

shoot me an email. I'll send you pics of mine tonite. I'm tossing the idea of selling but just can't convince myself. But who knows. I think you'll like the tasteful mods.:wink:

whyyy?

Sorry for your loss. Glad you are OK.

Any updates on the insurance situation?

Sorry for your loss. Glad you are OK.

Any updates on the insurance situation?

Nothing as of yet.

Just taking my time and focusing on other things right now and when I have the capability to get into another NSX, then the right one will come around.

I'm pretty specific though, mostly stockish black with ivory interior, but it's not like I could get it right now even if I found one.

<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDkxMjM1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDkxMjM1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/car-hits-oil-slick-at-150mph.html">Car Hits Oil Slick At 150MPH</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NDkxMjM1"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NDkxMjM1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://www.break.com/index/car-hits-oil-slick-at-150mph.html">Car Hits Oil Slick At 150MPH</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

Good save.

I thought he had overcorrected and I was thinking "OH NO" when it came back around again.

Even Audi Quattros lose it in slick conditions. He was just going twice my speed ( at 150kph ).

Back