• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jean-Claude Van Damme tries his luck in MMA

"Actor Jean-Claude van Damme will fight Olympic gold-medalist boxer Somluck Kamsing in a K-1 muay thai match in March 2010.

This rumor was recently confirmed by Kamsing, who signed the contract for the fight on Sept. 4. The bout will take place in Las Vegas and will consist of five two-minute rounds, said Kamsing.

Van Damme has requested to bar the use of elbows during the fight because he is an actor and does not want his face to get cut or bruised, Kamsing told Siamsport.

Kamsing is a Thai boxer who won the featherweight gold medal at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta.

Van Damme is a Hollywood action star who trained in martial arts before his acting career began."

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyWos9OUv94&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZyWos9OUv94&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x2b405b&color2=0x6b8ab6" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Will they bar Jean-Claude from using any Sonic Booms?

26347333-26347337-large.jpg

Absolutely, since they've not allowed any of Lyoto's hadoukens all these times.
MMAs are terrified of any shiny flying burning projectiles.

Lyoto_Machida_1000572.jpg

Absolutely, since they've not allowed any of Lyoto's hadoukens all these times.

Lol! But they didn't take away Shoryuken because he dragon punched the bejesus out of Rashad Evans! :tongue::biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hu-JagvFrU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hu-JagvFrU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

So is Hershal Walker

Do you think that JCVD was on the Juice back in the day ? He always had that bump in his forehead that would change in size from one movie to the next........

I don't doubt it, but the bump I think was from a fight with Dolph Lundgren I think.

Lol! But they didn't take away Shoryuken because he dragon punched the bejesus out of Rashad Evans! :tongue::biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hu-JagvFrU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9Hu-JagvFrU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Yeah. But that's fair game since it involves actual contact.
Constantly shooting fireballs across the octagon is considered cheating.

This should be exciting though my bet is he'll get his butt wooped. We'll see
whether he can really fight or just pretend to fight.
All kidding aside, I wish him well.
There are sources that claims he did have karate matches back in the days.
How accurate they are, now that's a totally different discussion.

I thought he was a gymnast or ballerina dancer which is why he was so "acrobatic." Unlike Chan or any of the experienced martial artists, if you look at his movies, he does very few martial arts moves, it's usually "duck, punch, wait 5 seconds, upercut," then next guy, repeat.

Still, he was who I wanted to be when I grew up, but not sure anymore :p

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/1140232.html

BY JIM VARSALLONE
[email protected]

The claim to fame for Sherman Bergman, 50, of Miami Beach is being the only one to knock down martial artist/action adventure movie star Jean-Claude Van Damme in a sanctioned match.

Van Damme won, but the man nicknamed ''Big Train'' followed with a good run, scoring 21 consecutive first-round victories during his lengthy career.

A fourth-degree black belt and a certified ju-jitsu instructor, Bergman recently retired from boxing and kickboxing.

''I'm retiring on my own,'' Bergman said. ``I was knocked out in my last fight, and it's time to quit. I've been lucky as I've never really been badly injured.''

Bergman began kickboxing in 1976, and his ring career spanned four decades.

In 1979 in Tampa, Van Damme, fighting under his birth name, Jean-Claude Van Vaerenbergh, was knocked to the canvas after absorbing a powerful left hook by Bergman.

''When I fought Van Damme in 1979, he was not an actor at the time. He was fighting under his birth name . . . and to me, he was just another fighter,'' said Bergman, the only American kickboxer to battle Van Damme.

``I didn't know till many years later that Jean-Claude Van Damme the movie star was the Jean-Claude Van Vaerenbergh I fought.''

SHORT BOUT

Van Damme recovered quickly and knocked out Bergman with an ax kick at 56 seconds of the first round.

''Our fight only lasted about a minute, so I really can't say I got to know him very well,'' Bergman said via e-mail. ``But one thing is for sure, he was the best fighter I ever fought. I've never tried to get in contact with him, but I've always been his No. 1 fan.''
VanDamme-Bergman79.jpg

Of all the actors mentioned, Van Damme actually had a very impressive professional kick boxing record back in the 70s. He was a fighter turned actor, not just vice versa.

however, he's damn near 50 now so this 'comeback' is about 15 years too late.

Didn't JCVD get his ass kicked by his bodyguard a while back?

And Bruce Lee would school them all. He schooled Chuck Norris, and even Jackie Chan too some of his movies.

Uh... he's almost 50 years old. No offense... but... sounds like he needs some cash.

How old was Greg Brady?
:smile:

Ya know, they should have a celebrity fight between all the kung fu stars. That would bring some excellent TV ratings. Jet Li would dominate.

Van Damme also worked for director John McTiernan for the 1987 movie Predator as the titular alien, before being removed and replaced by Kevin Peter Hall.

Didn't JCVD get his ass kicked by his bodyguard a while back?

And Bruce Lee would school them all. He schooled Chuck Norris, and even Jackie Chan too some of his movies.

Chuck Zito

The deed he’s most famous for was when he decked Belgian action hero Jean-Claude Van Damme at a Manhattan strip club in February, 1998.
"The man who calls himself The Muscles from Brussels went down like a sack of potatoes and curled up in the fetal position after taking a blow from his former bodyguard," read an article in The Globe. "This ain’t the movies!" Zito reportedly shouted as Van Damme lay in a heap, "This is the street, and I own the street!"

"[Van Damme] is just a very arrogant and disrespectful person," Zito told the New York Post, whose front-page headline was JEAN-CLAUDE VAN SLAMMED! "He was saying, ‘Chuck Zito doesn’t have any heart.’ There are people who will take that kind of abuse. I am not one of them," claimed the man who came to be known as "The Van-Damminator."

In an interview with Howard Stern, Zito stated that Van Damme was tough to deal with if you let him kick you. He decked him before he had a chance.

Last edited:
LOL... I love Chuck Zito... what a character.

Back