• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Jerking Noise at Cold Start. Anyone face this before?

1997 Auto T with 115K Miles

Anyone ever had this problem before? Whenever I drive it without warming the car up for 5 minutes or more, when I press the gas to go, the car would make some kind of a jerking noise. Feels like the car is trying to pull itself. After driving for few minutes and the car is very warm, the jerking noise and feel goes away.

I've had my tranny fluid flushed with oil change because of this, and it still does that at cold start. What do you guys think is the problem? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like you have fuel delivery problems due to engine temps. The water/engine temp sensor could be bad, could be a weak fuel pump, bad gas, partially clogged fuel filter limiting full fuel pressure, partially clogged injectors until warm-up, etc. I'd clean the throttle body and run some Techron through a full tank of gas and see if it helps

I actually had a brand new throttle body replaced half a year ago so maybe just put techron for now? i always use chevron gas for the car as well... hmmm...

anyone come across the same problem tho?

No check engine light? Does it do this only in the low gear or does it continue when the trans shifts? Is the engine running smooth when you start it? ie.. does it stutter when the rpm is increased while sitting still?

Mike

comtec: none of those problems. and it's only from the first gear, when i initially start going in the car from complete stop.

whiteNSXs: yeah, it sounds like a jerking noise and no chirp. feels like something is either grinding or trying to pull.

this all goes away after 5 to 10 minutes of driving and the car is warmed up. just noticed this problem few months ago. had replaced with brand new throttle body, did the tranny flush, and it still does this... i'm hoping its not a tranny problem... sigh

comtec: none of those problems. and it's only from the first gear, when i initially start going in the car from complete stop.

whiteNSXs: yeah, it sounds like a jerking noise and no chirp. feels like something is either grinding or trying to pull.

this all goes away after 5 to 10 minutes of driving and the car is warmed up. just noticed this problem few months ago. had replaced with brand new throttle body, did the tranny flush, and it still does this... i'm hoping its not a tranny problem... sigh

Have you checked the trans fluid level? Might be low. Follow your owners manual for proper procedure. Most autos I have owned need to be checked when warm and while the engine is running with the trans in "Park".

Have you checked the trans fluid level? Might be low. Follow your owners manual for proper procedure. Most autos I have owned need to be checked when warm and while the engine is running with the trans in "Park".
yeah, i'll make sure to do that as well. will be going in to Acura for another trans flush and oil change.

Thanks again fam for your inputs! i hope to put this problem to rest soon... was just wondering if someone had the same problem as me.

Don't know that i would do the trans flush again. If the trans is starting to go a flush normally isn't a good idea. You could just have the fluid changed again and verify that the fluid doesn't have a burnt smell or any change in color.

When did you start to notice this problem? The transmission relies on input from some engine sensors that would probaby be removed when the throttle body is changed. Just wondering if the problem started around that time.

Mike

Don't know that i would do the trans flush again. If the trans is starting to go a flush normally isn't a good idea. You could just have the fluid changed again and verify that the fluid doesn't have a burnt smell or any change in color.

When did you start to notice this problem? The transmission relies on input from some engine sensors that would probaby be removed when the throttle body is changed. Just wondering if the problem started around that time.

Mike

Wow mike. I think it did start after I got the new throttle body in. You think that's why I'm having this problem? What should I do? Also, should I let Acura know and ask them to fix it since they did it for me cuz of the recall?

Wow mike. I think it did start after I got the new throttle body in. You think that's why I'm having this problem? What should I do? Also, should I let Acura know and ask them to fix it since they did it for me cuz of the recall?

That's what i would do first, if you trust them. They are more equipped to diagnose problems like this then the average person. Even if it were a sensor driving could be doing more damage so i would try to get it fixed asap.

Do you ever see the "D" light flash when this happens? The "D" is sort of like the CEL in that it displays troubles by flashing. Check around the engine and see if there are any wires not connected.

Engine coolant temp guage, lockup control solenoid, linear solenoid and throttle position sensors are all near and effect the transmission. They can check all these at the dealer. Also there is a mainshaft sensor, countershaft speed sensor, shift control solenoid, the vehicle speed sensor and of course the TCM which controls everything. Just to let you know some of the parts involved.

If you have a little mechanical ability and patience, most
of these can be check by using the service manual.

Mike

Last edited:
That's what i would do first, if you trust them. They are more equipped to diagnose problems like this then the average person. Even if it were a sensor driving could be doing more damage so i would try to get it fixed asap.

Do you ever see the "D" light flash when this happens? The "D" is sort of like the CEL in that it displays troubles by flashing. Check around the engine and see if there are any wires not connected.

Engine coolant temp guage, lockup control solenoid, linear solenoid and throttle position sensors are all near and effect the transmission. They can check all these at the dealer. Also there is a mainshaft sensor, countershaft speed sensor, shift control solenoid, the vehicle speed sensor and of course the TCM which controls everything. Just to let you know some of the parts involved.

If you have a little mechanical ability and patience, most
of these can be check by using the service manual.

Mike
Mike, thank you very much for your input. I shall do all those necessary checks and update. Hope it's nothing major...

Back