• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

JGTC NSX uses WPC Treatment - so should you

WPC Treatment is used in the Nakajima Racing - EPSON NSX

EPSONNSX.jpg

www.wpctreatment.com

WPC is a metal improvement process, developed in Japan. WPC is a well kept motorsports secret that is used extensively at high levels of the sport, such as JGTC, MotoGP and WRC. Recently WPC has been gaining popularity in North America in venues such as Pro Stock drag racing, IRL, ALMS and NASCAR. WPC is also gaining acceptance from the OEM auto and motorcycle manufacturers such as Honda and Yamaha as a better performing alternative to coatings to enhance wear resistance, extend service life and to reduce friction.

Improve strength, durability, and longevity while reducing friction and heat with WPC Treatment!

More information on WPC Treatment, what it is and how it has been applied to the NSX can be found:

WPC Treatment technical information (4 pages):
http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArtic...l-you-wanted-to-know-about-WPC.aspx#Comment75

NSX: WPC Treated Transmission (Gears, Synchros, Hub/sliders, bearings, Oil pump, etc...):
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124424&highlight=WPC+Treatment

NSX: Hand De-burr and WPC treated gears
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118176&highlight=WPC+Treatment

FXMD uses WPC Treatment in every aspect of our builds and is a proponent of the process. From pistons, rods, pins, cranks, cylinder walls, bearings, gears, synchros, bearings, hub/sliders, LSD plates, you name it, WPC can treat it and improve it.

Billy

FXMDProductSignature.jpg

Re: JGTC NSX uses WPC Treatment - so should you!

Great find Billy! If Nakajima Racing uses it in their multi-million dollar Super GT effort to extract a few more ponies, then we all should too!!! Hey, just imagine the competitive advantage to be had by members at the NSXPO concourse that are first to wield this technology!!! :eek:

I think that now all most enthusiasts on nsxprime need to complete the puzzle is a little desire... and the JGTC GT racing budget so they can have the ride, racing engines, and race team to go along with the advanced engine parts treatment. Personally, I was holding out that Bobby Rahal might gift me his chain of dealerships later this week. That would at least get me into the VIP portion of the grand stands so I could really see the treatment in action. :cool:

j/k- j/k :biggrin:

nakajima-1280x1024-02-531.jpg

nakajima-1280x1024-01-382.jpg

nakajima-1280x1024-07-356.jpg

Above: Further preferable, the rest of the car, a series, the factory-backed sponsorships, and a winning race team to go in-hand with the advanced engine treatment.

Lol.

Well if you are rebuilding a transmission there's no reason not to spend the extra $ to treat the synchros to greatly improve the strength and durability of them to prolong another rebuild (especially under heavy use).

If you are rebuilding a trans for high HP and want to reduce the chance of losing the R&P, 2nd or 3rd gear (which has been documented on high HP applications) then it might be a good idea to have the gears treated which would be far cheaper than rebuilding the trans again or even losing the case.

...and the reasons go on and on. If you're in the middle of any rebuild, it's great insurance up front to save you later on. Don't just look at WPC as 'for an extra few HP' but rather an investment to increase the longevity of your car.

nakajima-1280x1024-07-356.jpg

Above: Further preferable, the rest of the car, a series, the factory-backed sponsorships, and a winning race team to go in-hand with the advanced engine treatment.
That gold looks familiar ;)

IMG00174.jpg

Looks good. I think between the widebodies and the heat treatments, our implied gt cars should be a shoe-in for the series. :biggrin:
That's not the race car ;)

Our Unlimited car is faster in a straight line though! :biggrin:

Our Unlimited car is faster in a straight line though! :biggrin:

Well, then now that you have dominated the US unlimited time-attack scene- you should talk to Ken about running a Super GT race. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will limit the race to the front straight-away at Fuji.

Dude, you would get serious props & street cred for winning in Super GT :biggrin:

Last edited:

I'm not sure if it was stated or not - how much does this type of treatment cost? Say one would have most of the components on a transmission done (rought estimate).

I'm not sure if it was stated or not - how much does this type of treatment cost? Say one would have most of the components on a transmission done (rought estimate).
Pricing is on page 2 (the last post) of the 3rd link in the Original Post.

So, considering that Honda Racing / M-Tec build all the engines and Hewland supplies all the transmissions, does that mean all the GT500 cars use WPC treatment? Or that WPC are just a sponsor?

It would be interesting to find out where and by who the treatment is actually used.

The fact that it is gaining acceptance from oem's is promising. Must be good then!!!

does that mean all the GT500 cars use WPC treatment? Or that WPC are just a sponsor? It would be interesting to find out where and by who the treatment is actually used.

I don't know about the cars, but the 1010 fountain pens in the VIP gift packs are probably WPC coated. Reduces friction to write the checks. :tongue:

1010_pen_1-thumb.jpg

Last edited:

So, considering that Honda Racing / M-Tec build all the engines and Hewland supplies all the transmissions, does that mean all the GT500 cars use WPC treatment? Or that WPC are just a sponsor?

It would be interesting to find out where and by who the treatment is actually used.

The fact that it is gaining acceptance from oem's is promising. Must be good then!!!
Usually teams change or replace gears on a race by race basis; at a minimum, a few times a year. They also usually do this in-house, so no that does not mean that all GT500 cars use the treatment. Nakajima does have drivetrain components WPC treated.

How much would it cost (ball-park) to WPC treat some synchros? OEM USDM NSX... Thx!

Nevermind i found the info on the other thread...thx ;)

Last edited:

How much would it cost (ball-park) to WPC treat some synchros? OEM USDM NSX... Thx!
For quick reference:

Synchro ~ $8 each
Hub sleeve ~ $120 for all 3

For quick reference:

Synchro ~ $8 each
Hub sleeve ~ $120 for all 3

yea its too late now.... already had my trans put back together.... lets hope there is not a next time! :)

Update:

FXMD & MotoIQ.com's Project NSX now has the motor and WPC-treated transmission (gears, synchros, bearings, etc...) and the results are AMAZING. The car shifts far better than any other NSX i've ever driven with the new and WPC treated synchros. Stay tuned for a full review.

Billy

Back