• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just got Collectors insurance for my 92.

Those of you that don't have it yet should look into it. I was able to lowered my premium $800 a year, while boosting my coverage, (Agreed upon value for $40K) and a lower deductible with the same milage restrictions. Only difference is I had to pay for the year up front.

With what company? I gave Hagerty and Grundy a shot at my business but they really didn't save me much if anything from my current insurer (USAA).

What are your restrictions? The company I called only allowed the car for weekend drives, car shows, events and could not park overnight anywhere other than my garage.

that seems to be the common theme when I did my research.

no more than 3k~ miles a year (it does roll over)
must have garage parking
no commuting to and from work

My NSX is insured through the same company as my home and other vehicles, however it is under "classic car" insurance, because it is over 20 years old and they consider it rare enough. I use Farm Bureau.

I think I pay something like $800/yr for it (I know it was half of what hagerty and grundy quoted me) and I have a declared value of $36K on it. Far more than I am into the car, but enough to replace it/parts if something were to happen to it. The only catch is I can't drive it over 6,000 miles/yr, not that I ever would anyway...

that seems to be the common theme when I did my research.
no more than 3k~ miles a year (it does roll over)
must have garage parking
no commuting to and from work

I haven't research it in 10 years, but last time I looked into it for my 66 mustang, that's what I found.
Can't drive it to work, have to have a garage, etc.
Instead I had statefarm insure my mustang for an agreed upon value(instead of doing classic car insurance).
I took it to a professional classic car appraiser(who judges cars, etc) and got his number in writing.
Took that in person to statefarm who then took pics of my car and wrote up the policy.
I can drive it as much as I want, no garage needed, etc.
It's just like a normal car, but instead of getting the $500 bluebook, if something happens, I get the agreed to value.

I didn't know State Farm offered agreed value insurance.

That's even better since that is all I care about is (in the event of the a total loss) that I recup NSX market value plus the $$$ poured into mods.

I'll look into any offering for the NSX.

BTW did the agreed value jump up the rates by alot?

I haven't research it in 10 years, but last time I looked into it for my 66 mustang, that's what I found.
Can't drive it to work, have to have a garage, etc.
Instead I had statefarm insure my mustang for an agreed upon value(instead of doing classic car insurance).
I took it to a professional classic car appraiser(who judges cars, etc) and got his number in writing.
Took that in person to statefarm who then took pics of my car and wrote up the policy.
I can drive it as much as I want, no garage needed, etc.
It's just like a normal car, but instead of getting the $500 bluebook, if something happens, I get the agreed to value.

Great info, thanks.

i have collector car insurance with grundy with an agreed value and no mileage limits.it does have to be kept in a locked garage (although i think it's ok to park it elsewhere sometimes),and is intended for a non dd vehicle used mainly for pleasure driving,car shows,things like that.it's much better coverage than i had with conventional insurance,and is about $300 a year less.

Last edited:
Before my dealers license i used Jc Taylor, a sub of Farmers.
http://jctaylor.com/
I was paying $442 yearly for my 91' with an agreed price of $30,000. If you want more the car will need to be appraised, so I just stuck with $30k. Cant remember the mileage restriction, (I think 4,000 miles yearly), and most of the other restrictions.
I had it for about 4 years with no problems, but I didnt ever have to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

A few snapshots from there website:

Am I Eligible?

A few basic requirements must be met.

To qualify for the Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Program, vehicles must be at least 19 years old*, and:
Factory original; i.e. there should be few changes from the factory original specifications.
In good or restored condition.
Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.
Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.
We do NOT impose a mileage limit on our Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Policy. However, we do use a very reasonable underwriting limit.
Club affiliation is not required.
Applicants and operators listed/insured on the policy must:
Be at least 25 years of age.
Have a good driving record with no more than one moving violation and one at fault accident.
Provide with their application:
At least one clear, current, color photo of the vehicle (preferably a front-corner view).
An appraisal is not required, but may be needed if the requested insurance value exceeds the general collectible market price for your particular vehicle.

I just got a quote fro Jctyalor. only 455/year! That's a great price. I drive my car less than 3k miles a year. I think I'll switch.

Before my dealers license i used Jc Taylor, a sub of Farmers.
http://jctaylor.com/
I was paying $442 yearly for my 91' with an agreed price of $30,000. If you want more the car will need to be appraised, so I just stuck with $30k. Cant remember the mileage restriction, (I think 4,000 miles yearly), and most of the other restrictions.
I had it for about 4 years with no problems, but I didnt ever have to use it.

- - - Updated - - -

A few snapshots from there website:

Am I Eligible?

A few basic requirements must be met.

To qualify for the Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Program, vehicles must be at least 19 years old*, and:
Factory original; i.e. there should be few changes from the factory original specifications.
In good or restored condition.
Be kept in a fully enclosed, locked garage.
Be used primarily as hobby vehicles: used in exhibitions, club activities, parades, or other functions of public interest. An occasional nice day drive to keep the vehicle in running order is perfectly acceptable.
We do NOT impose a mileage limit on our Antique/Classic Auto Insurance Policy. However, we do use a very reasonable underwriting limit.
Club affiliation is not required.
Applicants and operators listed/insured on the policy must:
Be at least 25 years of age.
Have a good driving record with no more than one moving violation and one at fault accident.
Provide with their application:
At least one clear, current, color photo of the vehicle (preferably a front-corner view).
An appraisal is not required, but may be needed if the requested insurance value exceeds the general collectible market price for your particular vehicle.

I have USAA for my home and car insurance. Great company. I went with Grundy for my NSX agreed value policy. Great to deal with as well.

Last edited:
Back