• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Just picked up my '02 NSX - HELP!

My NSX wandered around a little more after I just got my new Goodyears on last week. I'm glad to hear it will hopefully go away with a little wear.

steveny said:
OEM tires are the difference between night and day. I was running OEM tires on mine and then switched to non OEM. What a mistake that was. When you do put OEM tires on lets us know what you think.

What he said. If you do decide on new wheels, as others in this thread have suggested, make sure that they are a size that will accomodate OEM tires. My favorites are the Yok's. I wish I had never changed to a bigger rim and different tires.

The hole on my front bumper is a missing tow hook - the guy who originally sold me the car said he noticed one day it was missing. He had no idea where it went, if it fell off or if someone stole it. I ordered a new one from Acura, but apparently they are on backorder - so maybe someone really did steal it. Who knows. I just hope the car wasn't stuck somewhere (like deep snow or something) and got pulled out.

The car is truly in impeccable showroom condition, inside and out, so I'm really not that worried. It does bother the hell out of me though. I'll take better (more) photos once I get the cap and remove that horrendous front license plate bracket.

In other news, I've had a clear bra put on - unfortunately, I'm not too impressed, it has already started to bubble - the installer says he is going to reapply the entire front section to fix, but if I don't like it, he's removing it and I'll have to come up with another solution. But I really do like the added protection of the clear bra and the fact that our cars have a defined line between the hood and the bumper (so you can't notice it as much).

On another note, I ordered the NSX-R suspension from the guys over at SOS. Had a great conversation with one guy (Jeff I believe) - very knowledgable and very helpful. I've learned a lot about the car after logging about 1500 miles. The biggest thing I've learned about the car is that it just feels different - it just doesn't "feel" as planted as it really is - it feels loose, but it handles great. As the guy from SOS said (and agreed), "the suspension feels like it handles a lot worse than it actually does"- does that sound strange?

Hopefully the NSX-R suspension will make a big (likable) difference. I hope I"m not turning my car into a rattle box. I'm keeping my stock suspension close by in case I hate the NSX-R ride - I've read all the reviews, but reading only gets you so far - we shall see.

Tires I'm keeping stock and may even use them up a track event. I'm staying stock (in terms of sizing) for now, even though I love big wheels (my M had 19's).

Last edited:
njcycleguy said:
Tires I'm keeping stock and may even use them up a track event. I'm staying stock (in terms of sizing) for now, even though I love big wheels (my M had 19's).

Does that mean you're going back to OEM tires? It'll be the best move you make in terms of handling.

Also, the NSX power steering reduces input until above 30 MPH. So, you might have to increased steering force above those speeds. Its feels a little heavy initially but once you get used to it you will luv it.

Congrats again.

njcycleguy said:
The hole on my front bumper is a missing tow hook - the guy who originally sold me the car said he noticed one day it was missing.
Ted:
I don't think the tow hook is that high on the bumper. It should be in the relative location for all previous years. Lower front driver's right. I think those caps are for canadian running lights...and I could be wrong.

There are 2 places to screw in an additional tow hook (actually an eye-bolt) - one on either side of the front upper bumper cover. The eye-bolt is part of the tool kit under the trunk floor mat.

njcycleguy said:
\ It changed direction so quickly, with minimal steering input - completely different and much more confidence inspiring than the NSX.

But, on a good note, this weekend I did get a chance to wring out the NSX a little more on some back roads, and subjectively, I've pretty much determined the car does handle incredibly. Whereas the M3 would stick like glue but at the limit just break loose if you pushed it too hard, the NSX feels more controlled and balanced, and you can easily tell where the limit is. I guess the biggest difference is in the steering - the NSX steering is, comparitvely, just heavier (aka no power steering). It also takes a lot more steering input than the M3.

Here's the plain truth. The NSX's steering is slower. Quick steering in a mid engined car is not appropriate, unless you like spinning. The M3 and the NSX are extremely close on a race course. When it comes to quick lane changes, I'll take the M3 any day. Hell, a G35 has quicker steering, very similar to an M3. The NSX's advantage is on those back roads you talked about. When both of your outside tires load up and the car shoots you around the corner like one of those G force machines, you'll get the picture. Another thing about the NSX's handling that might not make much sense is that it's actually softer than the M3. There's a really good reason for that. The M3 has a much higher roll center than the NSX. To get the similar handling performance, the M3 has to rely upon much heavier shocks and springs. The NSX has the advantage here. You get a good ride and great handling. It's all about the center of gravity here.

I chose an NSX over a brand new M3 as well. I had driven four M3's with all the different tire/transmission combos. I was dead set on the M3 until I drove a two year old Carerra 4. Then, on my way to buy one, I saw an NSX in the showroom, used, and thought I'd give it a try. When I realized that the NSX handled exactly the same as a Ferrari 360, I bought the car as soon as I finished the test drive. I've never driven a car that I enjoyed as much as the Ferrari, but the NSX comes damn close. With the comptech supercharger, it will be even closer still. With the NSX-R shocks, it will actually be closer to a Challenge Stradale! Damn, good luck doing that with an M3 (in case you didn't notice the M3 CSL is trounced in all the tests by the GT3 RS and the Challenge Stradale).

Slashmatt,

Your points make complete sense. I owned an '01 E46 M3 for about a year and a half and truly loved the car, only sold it to try something "new". After a couple weeks with my NSX, I'm really beginning to love it. With posts like yours and about 1700 miles logged so far, I'm beginning to understand more about what makes the NSX so amazing.

I hope my apprecation will continue and strengthen once the NSX-R suspension gets bolted in.

If clear bra looks bad, don't give up on the clear bra material, give up on the installer!! Mine is invisible. Obviously, the color makes a big difference as well. The darker the color, the easier it is to see. Also, you will have a few very small bubbles under material that will take time to disappear as it dries. Don't let them talk you into "seaming" the front bumper. Mine was done in one piece and it looks fantastic!! Also, they can do the entire hood in one piece and that gets rid of the little line across the hood. Great car you've got. Just my $.02!!!

Congrats on the new car!! I would like to see the Red/Red combo.

Now, to your question. Yes, the tires make a huge difference in the cars handling. Cheap and new tires have the problem of heavy sidewall flexing and being new, so they still need to break in and scrub off a little bit. New high quality tires will have a stiffer sidewall and flex less than the cheap ones that are on your car now. I have tested tires extensively and can attest to the fact that there is a HUGE difference between low quality tires and high performance tires. Drive an NSX with the proper tires and you will see what I mean. ;)

Back